• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Searching for an answer

This is an update on my last counseling session. I think my counselor misunderstood me the last time we talked because she said she wasn't able to find a psychiatrist who dealt with autistic adults except for one, but he wasn't accepting new patients. I told her that I liked her and didn't want to see a psychiatrist for therapy, I only wanted to be tested for an official diagnosis. She said that I would need to be seen by a psychologist who does testing, and she will start making phone calls to find someone in my area that she can refer me to. I hope there is someone qualified in my area, but now I'm worried because there was only one psychiatrist who sees adults and wasn't seeing more patients how can there be someone who does the testing? That seems to be the story of my life.

Hi Linda welcome!

I found this forum and it changed my life i hope it helps you too. I too have trouble speaking at times, i carry pen and paper with me everywhere. I love this forum style of communication, but for me i use a phone to connect. Thats why i do not do so well with punctuation, hope it doesnt bother you too much. There is ALOT of information here. There is a search function available for threads already posted. Some of the people here are super smart, many of us are actively involved in advocacy in some form. Peer to peer support is fantastic.
Have you used forums before like for other interests? This is my first time doing any of that. Hope this finds you well and blessed, please accept my condolence on the recent loss of your beloved.

This is an update on my last counseling session. I think my counselor misunderstood me the last time we talked because she said she wasn't able to find a psychiatrist who dealt with autistic adults except for one, but he wasn't accepting new patients. I told her that I liked her and didn't want to see a psychiatrist for therapy, I only wanted to be tested for an official diagnosis. She said that I would need to be seen by a psychologist who does testing, and she will start making phone calls to find someone in my area that she can refer me to. I hope there is someone qualified in my area, but now I'm worried because there was only one psychiatrist who sees adults and wasn't seeing more patients how can there be someone who does the testing? That seems to be the story of my life.

I know in my province there are only 3 (last time I looked) professionals "assigned" to doing adult assessments, (1 per region, of a big area) so the waiting list is long. It is still woefully inadequate, but it is up from zero 10 years ago. Good luck. With any luck, due to COVID, maybe you will be able to do it via videoconference and not have to travel? Don't know exactly how that works, but it is how it is being done here, from my understanding.

Hi Linda welcome!

I found this forum and it changed my life i hope it helps you too. I too have trouble speaking at times, i carry pen and paper with me everywhere. I love this forum style of communication, but for me i use a phone to connect. Thats why i do not do so well with punctuation, hope it doesnt bother you too much. There is ALOT of information here. There is a search function available for threads already posted. Some of the people here are super smart, many of us are actively involved in advocacy in some form. Peer to peer support is fantastic.
Have you used forums before like for other interests? This is my first time doing any of that. Hope this finds you well and blessed, please accept my condolence on the recent loss of your beloved.

I've found people take me more seriously when I use technology (something that obviously costs money) to communicate with strangers than they did when I used pen and paper. Of course, with the greater availability of text to speech apps, things have gotten waay easier. Of course now that everybody carries a tablet or a phone, it's less obvious than it used to be why I have one. That causes its own difficulties. :( But still... I've only switched to tablet/ipod for AAC under 2 years ago. (From laptop). Don't know why I didn't figure it out for my ipod years ago thpugh. Autistic lack of generalization. I guess.,

I know in my province there are only 3 (last time I looked) professionals "assigned" to doing adult assessments, (1 per region, of a big area) so the waiting list is long. It is still woefully inadequate, but it is up from zero 10 years ago. Good luck. With any luck, due to COVID, maybe you will be able to do it via videoconference and not have to travel? Don't know exactly how that works, but it is how it is being done here, from my understanding.

Unfortunately It's more difficult to find out which mental health professionals are available and what they specialize in here in the states. Maybe it's because most of them are in private practice so there is no central place to find out. I have tried to search for them on the Internet but that is frustrating and is not helpful at all. I just hope my counselor who has over 15 years of experience knows people who can help her find someone. I would rather use Zoom than have to drive a long distance. I have health problems and am prone to panic attacks that would make driving a long distance a problem and go to a strange town. I used to be able to do that, but at this point in my life it seems too hard.

Hi Linda welcome!

Hi Skittlebisquit!

Thank you for welcoming me and for your condolences. I like it here, and have wonderful support and wisdom. I was on an eating disorder forum years ago but then stopped. I have come back to talking on forums because of my counselor's suggestion. It really helps to have finally found people who understand me.

Don't worry about your punctuation, I understand how difficult it can be on a phone, and you did great. My husband had a severe hearing disability since he was 9, and as his hearing got worse, I was given an old smart phone without a sim card so I could type to him. He finally got a bone conducting hearing aid so I didn't have to use it any more, and it was a good thing it helped his hearing so well, because only four months later he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He really needed to hear his oncologist, me, and others during that time.

Hello everyone. I may be one of the oldest people here at 73. Sorry this is so long.

Short version: My counselor agrees with me that I may be autistic and she's helping me to discover myself. I want to get a professional diagnosis so I will know for sure and my counselor said she will recommend me for a diagnosis. We will talk about it next week.

Update to my introduction: As of last week, I have been professionally diagnosed with ASD Level 1.

Knowing that I'm Autistic is a great relief. Now I don't have to wonder why I'm not like everyone else, why I can't multi task, or why social situations are so stressful to me, or why I'm so literal minded. I think it's going to take a lot of work to understand my life in this new light, but at least I can begin now.

New Threads

Top Bottom