• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SD to USB C Adapters

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I have hundreds of photos locked up on SD memory cards. My current laptop only has USB C Ports. It makes me sad, because for several years, I have not been able to look at many of my daughter's baby photos. There are also typed documents that I cannot access either.

I was on Amazon.com and ran into this little handy invention. They are "SD to USB C Adapters".

I am overjoyed to say the least.

Here is this resource, in case you need to purchase one as well: Amazon.com : sd card to usb c

Good subject to post about. I suspect few people realize just how many "adapter" devices exist these days, which can bring together a great number of different technologies involving both media and hardware. Especially important in an era in which technology can change so quickly.

Good subject to post about. I suspect few people realize just how many "adapter" devices exist these days, which can bring together a great number of different technologies involving both media and hardware. Especially important in an era in which technology can change so quickly.
Yes! I just ran across this little gem on Amazon. It is an adapter for floppy discs! I have no idea how well it would work. But it does sound fun to try out: https://www.amazon.com/Mougerk-External-Diskette-Portable-Notebooks/dp/B075JDNMMN/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=floppy+drive+to+usb+adapter&qid=1681571694&sr=8-11&th=1

Yes! I just ran across this little gem on Amazon. It is an adapter for floppy discs! I have no idea how well it would work. But it does sound fun to try out: https://www.amazon.com/Mougerk-External-Diskette-Portable-Notebooks/dp/B075JDNMMN/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=floppy+drive+to+usb+adapter&qid=1681571694&sr=8-11&th=1
Yep, those have been around since the USB-A format. A lot of older media formats are still viable thanks to USB-A connectors. A more critical consideration is likely to be the integrity of the floppy itself. Those old mylar disks could be damaged. Always reminds me of when one of my Yorkies got a hold of an important disk. But it was still usable!

Though I don't see any for the Iomega Zip Drive format....but then they were obscure even when new...and totally obsolete with their 100 MB storage capacity. I still have both a zip drive and a 3.5 floppy on my "legacy computer", but lol....I never use either. Actually I keep that computer in a closet now....

In as much as so many vendors want to force us into using the latest technology, it's nice to know there are manufacturers out there who can bridge the gap between new and older technologies in such a way. :cool:

Last edited:
Yep, those have been around since the USB-A format. A lot of older media formats are still viable thanks to USB-A connectors. A more critical consideration is likely to be the integrity of the floppy itself. Those old mylar disks could be damaged. Always reminds me of when one of my Yorkies got a hold of an important disk. But it was still usable!

Though I don't see any for the Iomega Zip Drive format....but then they were obscure even when new...and totally obsolete with their 100 MB storage capacity. I still have both a zip drive and a 3.5 floppy on my "legacy computer", but lol....I never use either. Actually I keep that computer in a closet now....

In as much as so many vendors want to force us into using the latest technology, it's nice to know there are manufacturers out there who can bridge the gap between new and older technologies in such a way. :cool:
If you intend to use zip disks at some point in the future, it's a good idea to occasionally read a disk on the device you have. If they remain unused for a long time they can suddenly stop working. I don't know exactly why, but I a few of the YouTube channels I watch have recommended you spin them up occasionally :)

If you intend to use zip disks at some point in the future, it's a good idea to occasionally read a disk on the device you have. If they remain unused for a long time they can suddenly stop working. I don't know exactly why, but I a few of the YouTube channels I watch have recommended you spin them up occasionally :)
Interesting. Though up to now I've never had a problem with my zip disks.

The truth is that I've even thought about taking the 3.5 zip drive out of its 5.25 bay. I've hardly ever used them since I set that computer up as only a "legacy" computer. Deliberately disconnected from the Internet and LAN with most Windows XP services turned off for more memory. I don't even use the optical drive, mostly because all my games have "no-cd" patches. Reminds me of how much I hated any program requiring a CD being loaded.

It sits in the cupboard in my kitchen. I might relocate it again, but I just never use it at all anymore. Reminds me of my Windows 3.1 computer that I kept for some time. Where ultimately I'd get it out of my closet, set it up and play with it for about ten minutes before getting bored with ancient software. It doesn't help that the second I use that computer it reminds me of how much faster the computer I use regularly is in comparison. At which point my boredom turns to annoyance. Maybe I should turn it over to a museum...lol. :oops:

Last edited:
Interesting. Though up to now I've never had a problem with my zip disks.

The truth is that I've even thought about taking the 3.5 zip drive out of its 5.25 bay. I've hardly ever used them since I set that computer up as only a "legacy" computer. Deliberately disconnected from the Internet and LAN with most Windows XP services turned off for more memory.

It sits in the cupboard in my kitchen. I might relocate it again, but I just never use it at all anymore. Reminds me of my Windows 3.1 computer that I kept for some time. Where ultimately I'd get it out of my closet, set it up and play with it for about ten minutes before getting bored with ancient software. It doesn't help that the second I use that computer it reminds me of how much faster the computer I use regularly is in comparison. At which point my boredom turns to annoyance. Maybe I should turn it over to a museum...lol. :oops:
As far as I know zip drives should be transferable to a modern PC, so if you need to back up anything important, it might be worth looking in to.

It's pretty amazing how quick even the lowliest of PCs are these days. If you want to enjoy some of those old games without the hassle, it's worth looking into DOSbox or even virtualization under something like Virtual box. Both are free, DOSbox has a steeper learning curve in my opinion, but I think it's more compatible with older games I believe.

As far as I know zip drives should be transferable to a modern PC, so if you need to back up anything important, it might be worth looking in to.
I have flash drives for that, with enormous GB capacity compared to a zip drive. To me a zip drive is utterly obsolete as is a 3.5 floppy drive. If anything I keep that drive on my legacy system just as a symbol of how antiquated that hardware platform has become. It's novel, but impractical in modern times.
It's pretty amazing how quick even the lowliest of PCs are these days. If you want to enjoy some of those old games without the hassle, it's worth looking into DOSbox or even virtualization under something like Virtual box. Both are free, DOSbox has a steeper learning curve in my opinion, but I think it's more compatible with older games I believe.
The thing is, DOS graphics at 320x320 resolution are so primitive that I quickly lose interest in them. Luckily I have only one such game left, which would only run on Windows 98 and not Windows XP. But as I said, I have little to no interest in them. Where the nostalgia for me wears off faster as the years go by. Five to ten minutes and I'm ready to put it all back in the closet.

Funny to recall my first PC, which defaulted to 320 x 320 graphics without even being in 256 colors. I had to get a VESA video card for that. LOL, seemed like an amazing difference at the time. :eek:

Last edited:
I have flash drives for that, with enormous GB capacity compared to a zip drive. To me a zip drive is utterly obsolete as is a 3.5 floppy drive. If anything I keep that drive on my legacy system just as a symbol of how antiquated that hardware platform has become. It's novel, but impractical in modern times.

The thing is, DOS graphics at 320x320 resolution are so primitive that I quickly lose interest in them. Luckily I have only one such game left, which would only run on Windows 98 and not Windows XP. But as I said, I have little to no interest in them. Where the nostalgia for me wears off faster as the years go by. Five to ten minutes and I'm ready to put it all back in the closet.
I was more thinking if you had anything on zip disks that needed backing up :) Flash drives are amazing though! I can recall getting one at 1gb capacity and being amazed that I could have everything ever made for the Atai ST stored on such a small drive. Now I have flash drives able to store between 128 to 256 times that! That's progress! :)

I was more thinking if you had anything on zip disks that needed backing up :) Flash drives are amazing though! I can recall getting one at 1gb capacity and being amazed that I could have everything ever made for the Atai ST stored on such a small drive. Now I have flash drives able to store between 128 to 256 times that! That's progress! :)
Nope. Virtually all of them are blank. Used to use them as a web designer for a major corporation. Back then in the late 90s I used them to back up the product websites I made. But they are all archived on CDs and DVDs now.

Is this the thread where I complain about laptop manufacturers removing ports and forcing customers to buy adapters and dongles instead?

Like obviously I'm not saying laptops should still have native support for depreciated formats like floppy disks but USB-A ports and SD card slots are still important! Keep those alongside USB-C, it's not complicated.

Amazing what is available as USB accessories! One device I have is a multi-docking unit externally powered. Hard drives, both SATA and EIDE, are vertically inserted on the top ports, while on the side are slots for various-sized memory cards and such. I think I paid under $30 for it. And it works well, I was able to access some "dead" hard drives and copy the ancient data off them.
Another one that boggled my little mind was the USB analog video-capture dongle. 'How does that work?' I thought.
It's only twice the size of a flash drive, and it too works quite well. And here I'd previously bought an entire old laptop with 1394 ports to transfer/digitize 150+? hours of my taped scenery videos (yawn).
Lastly, another USB hard-drive connecting device let me clone the data from the old 500g C:/ sata drive in the laptop over to a brand new 2Tb SSD replacement. Took two hours!
My brother was a tech guy who lived and breathed computers- games, hardware, everything. It was his job too. To give an idea how long he's been gone, his computer ran on Windows 98. I sometimes wonder what he'd think of the possibilities today if he was still with us.......:-(

You can get a USB-C hub. They are expensive, in Curry's. I think online you can get better deals with such computer peripherals.

New Threads

Top Bottom