• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School reunions

I didn't attend my school reunion either. Just about everyone bullied me at school so I avoided it like the plague. I probably would have come home feeling upset and disappointed while everyone else enjoyed it.

Has any ASC individual here run a marathon to raise money for a charity? Or does that also tend to be mostly an NT activity?

Alternatively, have you done one or the other - run a marathon OR raised money for charity - but not together?

Has any ASC individual here run a marathon to raise money for a charity? Or does that also tend to be mostly an NT activity?

Alternatively, have you done one or the other - run a marathon OR raised money for charity - but not together?

Neither. Too many people and talking to people for little gain. Additionally, I despise running for the sake of running so marathons are really not my thing, tried once, never to come back... I suppose I raised money once when I was a kid, it was called something like 'Being good - it's worth it' and dealt with elder people I think, though I raised maybe an equivalent of 20 pounds it total by going around shops and talking to the owners to donate. Never tried again afterwards, not my cup of tea.

I've run a marathon! It wasn't for charity, I don't think, but I donate to charity. I'm guessing that's not at all the same.

I've run a marathon! It wasn't for charity, I don't think, but I donate to charity. I'm guessing that's not at all the same.

Oh, did you have fun running? I always wondered how others would like this kind of activity.

I think he means 'rising money' as in 'getting the money personally', not through a transaction of any kind but through personal contact with other people.

Oh, did you have fun running? I always wondered how others would like this kind of activity.

I think he means 'rising money' as in 'getting the money personally', not through a transaction of any kind but through personal contact with other people.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun! I did it with a friend, and we were very casual about it, walked close to half of it.

And that's kinda what I figured about the raising money. Definitely have never done that.

Neither. Too many people and talking to people for little gain.
This hits the nail on the head. It is my impression also that the exertion required for the gain involved is not commensurate. Making up the shortfall is I suspect the social buzz of doing it, being in the limelight, the people one interacts with, seeing and being seen. Not that I'm casting aspersions on this activity --- it's exercise, it's raising money for a good cause and it's community-oriented; just that I don't intuit many ASC individuals would gravitate towards it - just as they tend not to go for school reunions, albeit for different reasons.

I actually went to my 10 year reunion, just so I could apologize to everybody for the way I treated them in the hopes that they would apologize to me for the way they treated me (which in good part was the reason I acted like I did).

They didn't.

So I never had any contact with them again. Eventually I had to yank my classmates.com profile after a girl I dated my senior year started emailing me to brag about how wonderful her life was. I had no wish to have any contact with her, but she wouldn't stop, so eventually I had to pull the profile.

Now my main goal is to move far away and put it all behind me for good.

As with many here my school days were not very good times when it came to a lot of the other students. I got along with the teachers well though.

But I've been wondering if we would ever have one. There were only 20 kids in my class and most of them moved far away so probably not. This year would have been 25 years. But if we ever did I would go, but not stay long. Just long enough to see what became of the others, and show them what became of me when they ask. Because I think I've done ok. Had the same engineering job for over 20 years, homeowner for 20 years, raised a kid who graduated with good marks. A lot of my schoolmates said I would never amount to anything and I'd like to show them otherwise. Then leave after that, I'd have no desire to stick around, small talk, drink, play games, etc.

It probably wouldn't make a difference to them but it would mean something to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom