• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School pet peeve: reliever teachers

ExplosiveTMT

Humour's my middle name.
I would always hate it when the usual teacher was sick and a reliever took charge of the class.

My usual teacher knew that I had difficulties with certain things.
With the reliever teacher, I was expected to do those things, since of course, he/she didn't know about my difficulties. When this teacher would ask 'why aren't you doing as you're told?', I could've tried to explain it, but I had doubts that the teacher would believe me.
So I would have these huge meltdowns.
I would get sent for a detention.
I felt pretty bad when my teacher returned and found that out. :p

Nowadays, things aren't much of an issue. The others in my class are pretty good at explaining to the reliever about my difficulties. I'm in a pretty good special class. :)

Even then, I still feel low when there's a reliever. Maybe because of past experiences with them, the fact there's a change in my routine or a combination of both reasons. :)

Anyone else ever felt p'ed off when there was a relief teacher in charge of the class? :)

My most memorable relief teacher was actually quite fun.
We had a test that day. The teacher just mindlessly read out each question and the corresponding answer. I think everyone passed that test :)

My general impression of relief teachers was that they tended to be somewhat disorganized baby sitters.

Last edited:
While my AS wasnt diagnosed till later in my life, there were a couple of kids that were autistic in a class that I was a teacher assistant for(5th grade class) during my senior year of high school at my Christian school. She always left instructions/lesson plans for the substitute teacher and that included special instructions about the 2 students that needed special help. Its pretty much up to the normal or regular teacher to leave instructions to anybody else as to which students need that special help. I sure wish my AS was diagnosed early in my school years, maybe I could have gotten the help I needed to do better. Mike

I really don't like relievers. Then again, I don't like my regular teachers either, except for a few. I had this one yesterday that really scared me. She was so touchy-feely, hugging students, poking them. Those people scare me, not the ones who get angry.
It's not really the change in routine that annoys me, it's the fact they are - as Zurb said - just babysitters. :p

I really don't like relievers. Then again, I don't like my regular teachers either, except for a few. I had this one yesterday that really scared me. She was so touchy-feely, hugging students, poking them. Those people scare me, not the ones who get angry.
It's not really the change in routine that annoys me, it's the fact they are - as Zurb said - just babysitters. :p

Teacher hugging students?
*shiver*
:p

There's a reason that substitutes are substitutes. If you're lucky, they've got a B. Ed. If you're unlucky, you get the husband of the worst teacher in the school because he's available because he's doing night shift in the mines. (True story.)

There's a reason that substitutes are substitutes. If you're lucky, they've got a B. Ed. If you're unlucky, you get the husband of the worst teacher in the school because he's available because he's doing night shift in the mines. (True story.)
True. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom