• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Schizoid versus Asperger's Syndrome

(Referring to the female schizoid video) The schizoids I've known are much better social actors than that, one of em was even popular (which he hated). It was like you'd never guess unless you knew some of his eccentricities and interests.

@unperson If you can describe them, did the popular person you knew have a tendency to being a little paranoid? Did they consent to being socially engaged with people in order to get something they wanted; in orher words basically cool but pragmatic?

yes, that's accurate, paranoia, above average social/communication skills, able to read people pretty well due to the cynicism. Socially poised. he was very good looking so that drew people too.

I had to move on too! the lack of any impulse to help wasn't useful to me, I needed help - but it seemed very natural to him.

Last edited:
Here is an interview of a schizoid individual done by a personality disorder expert

Yeah, I have moments like that. People are either scary (closer to schizotypal) or just not interesting.

She just looks SO uncomfortable, like she wants to be literally anywhere else than doing that interview on camera.

It's really hard for me to see her as having a personality disorder or any kind of disorder from this interview because she's so clearly uncomfortable that I don't feel this is an accurate representation of who she is.

The way he talks about it, it sounds like it's not a disorder at all, and these people should be left the heck alone. They're not hurting anyone, they just aren't social and they're fine that way, so there's nothing to treat, really.

I suspect (from personal experience) that a lot of autistic people could be (or pretend to be) "fine" with no relationships/interaction with others because they've just given up and resigned themselves to what they see as their fate after years or decades of struggle with relationships. It might be difficult to tell the difference in adult autistics.

@SDRSpark
It is hard for me to tell whether she is so used to & sick of the pain and confusion of attempting to interact, that a part of her flipped a major switch and wirhdrew deep behind her barriers.

Here is an interview of a schizoid individual done by a personality disorder expert
Yeah, I have moments like that. People are either scary (closer to schizotypal) or just not interesting.

these historical psychiatric interviews, most people side with the victim/interviewee, not the 'expert'. I've seen some really sad ones. She may have not had the abiltity to refuse being filmed (can't pay, well if you're prepared to be interviewed on film....) who knows what goes on behind these historical psych interviews. It's extreme 'flat effect' but uh I wouldn't feel I had to be animated under duress.

these historical psychiatric interviews, most people side with the victim/interviewee, not the 'expert'. I've seen some really sad ones. She may have not had the abiltity to refuse being filmed (can't pay, well if you're prepared to be interviewed on film....) who knows what goes on behind these historical psych interviews. It's extreme 'flat effect' but uh I wouldn't feel I had to be animated under duress.
There are clips that have actors as well.

Well, I suppose "it was given" that she does not care.
The content of her life reveals things beyond the non verbal part.

That said, I have flat out lied to people who have asked about my life.

Anyway, interviewer Theodore Millon (who has done lots of research around personality) saw himself having narcissistic traits.

Is it possible to have both schizoid personality disorder and Asperger's Syndrome simultaneously? I don't trust my psychiatrist or health care team. They seem to have considered the autism thing, but they ruled out the idea of schizoid personality disorder. My old psychiatrist said that I had Schizoid Personality disorder because I met the full diagnostic criteria. However, when my old one left, my new psychiatrist changed my diagnosis and said I have OCD and possibly Asperger's. I wonder if they're wrong. I wonder if I have both Schizoid and Autism. I won't rule out OCD because I know I have it. I know I might've considered Schizoid because I was a loner my whole life and there were no opportunities for companionship so I relied on myself. Also, there was the preoccupation with fantasy, the indifference to praise or criticism, choosing solitary activities, being aloof, and no interest in sex. Also, there was the idea of me not having friends.

If you have both Schizoid and Asperger's syndrome, please tell me your story.

Well, my response may be a few months late but, yes, it is all possible because as an adult I am recently diagnosed with Autism, Schizoid personality disorder and OCD. So its possiblr to have this comorbid conditions with one another, Im still trying to figure it out and learn the differences between them and where they overlap with each other in my life. So any questions you may have Ill try to answer them.

Is it possible to have both schizoid personality disorder and Asperger's Syndrome simultaneously? I don't trust my psychiatrist or health care team. They seem to have considered the autism thing, but they ruled out the idea of schizoid personality disorder. My old psychiatrist said that I had Schizoid Personality disorder because I met the full diagnostic criteria. However, when my old one left, my new psychiatrist changed my diagnosis and said I have OCD and possibly Asperger's. I wonder if they're wrong. I wonder if I have both Schizoid and Autism. I won't rule out OCD because I know I have it. I know I might've considered Schizoid because I was a loner my whole life and there were no opportunities for companionship so I relied on myself. Also, there was the preoccupation with fantasy, the indifference to praise or criticism, choosing solitary activities, being aloof, and no interest in sex. Also, there was the idea of me not having friends.

If you have both Schizoid and Asperger's syndrome, please tell me your story.
I have not been diagnosed but I am quite certain I have both Aspergers and a mix of mostly Schzoid/possibly Avoidant PD. As to Aspergers this is prevalent in my family on both sides. Aspergers is strongly indicated in my Father, my brother, my Paternal Uncle, a Paternal Cousin (son of the Uncle), my Maternal Grandfather, and 2 Maternal Aunts. All of my family are quite bright all of them maintained employment at Professional Level. My father traveled for a living was absent for large portion of my childhood and my mother was ADHD but undiagnosed she was Compulsive liar which is relatively common with ADHD. I did not realize mother was compulsive liar until later in life. With Aspergers I found it difficult to communicate and form relationships with my peers. As my father was largely absent and my mother was a Compulsive Liar I had no fulfilling relationships at home. My mother accused me of lying on regular basis ... which confused me at the time and now I see was clear indication of Projection. My mother was also highly passive aggressive. I also suffered from Severe Depression from the age of 8 onward which was largely not addressed by my family. My particular issues are while I would like to have fulfilling relationships it is not a fear of rejection ... I just don't feel it is possible because I have never had one.

I am almost certain I have either schizoid or schizotypal pd. This thread is interesting.

I am almost certain I have either schizoid or schizotypal pd. This thread is interesting.
I never understand if l am not social to being let down so much or l just am content to be alone. I have lived alone and not dated much. And l don't like to date. The guy has to be incredibly engaging or l have checked out emotionally.

I never understand if l am not social to being let down so much or l just am content to be alone. I have lived alone and not dated much. And l don't like to date. The guy has to be incredibly engaging or l have checked out emotionally.

I think that amounts to an "emotional tightrope" for a lot of us. Where our drive to be social (even when tightly defined) can be preempted by our drive for solitude. Which can make it so challenging to sustain a long-term relationship.

New Threads

Top Bottom