• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Schizoid versus Asperger's Syndrome

Mister Anonymity

Is it possible to have both schizoid personality disorder and Asperger's Syndrome simultaneously? I don't trust my psychiatrist or health care team. They seem to have considered the autism thing, but they ruled out the idea of schizoid personality disorder. My old psychiatrist said that I had Schizoid Personality disorder because I met the full diagnostic criteria. However, when my old one left, my new psychiatrist changed my diagnosis and said I have OCD and possibly Asperger's. I wonder if they're wrong. I wonder if I have both Schizoid and Autism. I won't rule out OCD because I know I have it. I know I might've considered Schizoid because I was a loner my whole life and there were no opportunities for companionship so I relied on myself. Also, there was the preoccupation with fantasy, the indifference to praise or criticism, choosing solitary activities, being aloof, and no interest in sex. Also, there was the idea of me not having friends.

If you have both Schizoid and Asperger's syndrome, please tell me your story.

ASD, BPD, bipolar, ocd, and, schizotypal traits all over lap. There is a couple youtube sources I would suggest, one is med circle, another is psych to go, and a third is dr rumanhi (sic?) I like Rumanhi alot. But you are self diagnosing that way kind of. I think you can have ASD and any of those too plus more.

You should journal alot, like several hours each day. And record what you eat and drink. 85% of schizophrenic people smoke cigarettes. Exercise cures depression

Although I do not have Schizoid Personality Disorder, I am a psych major if that means anything to you.

It's possible to have SPD and autism, yes. Comorbid diagnosis with autism is common. Doctors, like anyone else, can be wrong.

There is something important to consider though: SPD symptoms and its diagnostic criteria can also be found in people with autism. In fact, a lot of the main SPD criteria is needed in a diagnosis of autism. They, in some ways, have a very similar presentation. When making and eliminating a diagnosis, professionals consider if one diagnosis can be better explained by a different diagnosis. It's very possible they may think a diagnosis of autism better explains your symptoms. You may have all the "SPD criteria" PLUS symptoms specifically and only related to autism. All the symptoms you listed are commonly found in autistic people (and a couple can be explained by possible depression or abuse if you've experienced either of those in the past).

I experience a lack of interest in normal aspirations and relationships, am aloof, can doze off into magical thinking at times because of isolation, and have a strange view of intimacy. Everyone experiences autism differently. I could probably qualify for a SPD diagnosis, however my symptoms are actually caused by autism... on top of those symptoms I exhibit strictly autistic traits too. I am an example of what I described above.

I can't tell you if you do or don't have SPD. I would recommend talking to that professional if possible and asking them how and why they came to the conclusion of ruling out a SPD diagnosis. I'm sure they'd be willing to explain their reasoning to you.

Have known a coupla schizoids, my sister is one (undx'ed). You should probably lurk in a schizoid forum to clarify it to yourself. I think there is one poster here who is schizoid/autistic.

There might be more than one. I would ask the psych major for better reference if he doesn't like those ones. It's mostly for vocabulary, you tube studies that is. Self diagnosis is really limited. There is another one I just love called sbsk, I posted about him somewhere recent.

Although I do not have Schizoid Personality Disorder, I am a psych major if that means anything to you.

It's possible to have SPD and autism, yes. Comorbid diagnosis with autism is common. Doctors, like anyone else, can be wrong.

There is something important to consider though: SPD symptoms and its diagnostic criteria can also be found in people with autism. In fact, a lot of the main SPD criteria is needed in a diagnosis of autism. They, in some ways, have a very similar presentation. When making and eliminating a diagnosis, professionals consider if one diagnosis can be better explained by a different diagnosis. It's very possible they may think a diagnosis of autism better explains your symptoms. You may have all the "SPD criteria" PLUS symptoms specifically and only related to autism. All the symptoms you listed are commonly found in autistic people (and a couple can be explained by possible depression or abuse if you've experienced either of those in the past).

I experience a lack of interest in normal aspirations and relationships, am aloof, can doze off into magical thinking at times because of isolation, and have a strange view of intimacy. Everyone experiences autism differently. I could probably qualify for a SPD diagnosis, however my symptoms are actually caused by autism... on top of those symptoms I exhibit strictly autistic traits too. I am an example of what I described above.

I can't tell you if you do or don't have SPD. I would recommend talking to that professional if possible and asking them how and why they came to the conclusion of ruling out a SPD diagnosis. I'm sure they'd be willing to explain their reasoning to you.
Is it kind of like a venn diagram, how spd and asd and bpd can sort of overlap?

I sought a therapist after getting an official autism diagnosis.
Those who were autism-deniers insisted that I accept their re-diagnosis of Schizoid Personality Disorder, instead.

A consultant that I worked with said that misdiagnosis was especially common for "twice exceptional" people, because
our giftedness masks our autism and
our autism masks our giftedness.

YMMV.

Think l may have some schozoid DNA because being on the spectrum is lonely without this and a little OCD too. However, l do my best to live my life with honesty and donuts.

I was diagnosed Schizoid personality with ASD1 . It was Asperger's yet when I took the tests.

My psychologist said the two are so much overlapping that was why my tests show I have both.
Plus comorbid anxiety disorder.

ASD, BPD, bipolar, ocd, and, schizotypal traits all over lap. There is a couple youtube sources I would suggest, one is med circle, another is psych to go, and a third is dr rumanhi (sic?) I like Rumanhi alot. But you are self diagnosing that way kind of. I think you can have ASD and any of those too plus more.

You should journal alot, like several hours each day. And record what you eat and drink. 85% of schizophrenic people smoke cigarettes. Exercise cures depression

I like Med Circle & Dr. Ramani, but stopped watching Psyc to Go, because I think it doesn't give complete information.

From what I understand, even though both schizoid and asperger might manifest socially in a similar way, an schizoid person is content with having no connections with people, while an asperger wants to have connection, but it's too difficult or painful to do so, (or to have connection like a neurotypical). So, they might both end up living alone, but the aspie could feel lonely, while the schizoid is ok with it.

Last edited:
It seems to me the answer is in whether you want to be social or not. I know I have always wanted to be so do not consider the Schizoid in my self diagnosis. I used to think I must be introverted, if I was ASD but after reading about introversion realized I am not.

Your post sounds more like ASD to me. You talk about being a loner as a result of social problems. However, you don't talk about your early experiences. ASD requires difficulties early in life. But then there is new research out there that talks about adult onset ASD o_O.

Wow, so much input here. I enjoy social connections but l become alarmed if people are over friendly, l like everything in a neat social box. You behave accordingly and l don't want to point out your faux pas. People have lived with me, so the line is blurry.

I think it is possible to have any co-morbid. Sadly.

Schizoid verses Aspergers ?

Oh that's an easy one.

tenor (2).gif

;)

I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and Schizotypal and ADHD. The first wolf ever to be diagnosed. Lol.

As to my story. Well I do prefer being alone. But, do need human contact ocassionally as a stablizing element. Otherwise the world begins to feel less real to me. Like a dream someone tossed me into.

It's okay to be by yourself, and it's okay to be with very select company, outside of that, l do stay alone because it's survival of the strong and that means being alone for me most of the time. I have lived my life this way since l left home and l am not changing now.

Here is an interview of a schizoid individual done by a personality disorder expert
Yeah, I have moments like that. People are either scary (closer to schizotypal) or just not interesting.

New Threads

Top Bottom