• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scared to go to college

ZebraAspie

V.I.P Member
I’m scared to go to college. I go to a neurodivergent college. On Monday (last time I was in) a girl started throwing stuff around the room and had to be restrained so she wouldn't hit anyone. we are all told not to look at her in case it provoked her. This isn’t the first time. This girl has attached previesly without any aggravation from others. The college are saying it’s her reaction to exam stress but honesty I’m scared. I’m scared she‘ll hit me. I don’t wa t to be near her. I can’t avoid her. She is the other class but in total there is 10 of at college. We all work in the same room. I don’t know what to do. I’ve contacted college lead but just got a fob off we are handling this message. I don’t know how to handle any this. Advice please.

That sounds terrible I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I hope things get better for you. I would try to lay low and keep to myself, but it’s hard to do that because the girl in your class has unusual reactions. If she tries to attack you, I would try to defend myself the best I could. You don’t deserve to be harassed and pushed around while you are trying to get an education. I don’t care if she is scared of taking exams it’s not okay to hit other people. She might not have control of her reactions, but it’s still not right to do that.

In any disability space (even here), conflicting needs will inevitably arise, and quite often how one may approach the situation is a very case-by-case basis.

Here, based on what you've provided (and the context is quite limited, and so my answer will also be generic in nature), it sounds like there's probably a need for someone to keep an eye on things and to help de-escalate things if someone gets upset or triggered.

Ultimately, if one person has needs which are not compatible with everyone else's needs, and everyone else otherwise gets along okay, the leadership / administration should be intervening to have the person removed and if possible, to address their needs separately, since no one should have to have their needs ignored in favour of any one else's.

Good luck.

In any disability space (even here), conflicting needs will inevitably arise, and quite often how one may approach the situation is a very case-by-case basis.

Here, based on what you've provided (and the context is quite limited, and so my answer will also be generic in nature), it sounds like there's probably a need for someone to keep an eye on things and to help de-escalate things if someone gets upset or triggered.

Ultimately, if one person has needs which are not compatible with everyone else's needs, and everyone else otherwise gets along okay, the leadership / administration should be intervening to have the person removed and if possible, to address their needs separately, since no one should have to have their needs ignored in favour of any one else's.

Good luck.
I agree with everything you say. I believe their needs to be some sort of third party put in place to deescalate the situation. It’s hard for students to react to situations like these, so having protocols would be great to keep the peace. I was trying to say something similar, but I couldn’t form the correct words. You put everything together nicely.

@DaisyRose @VictorR Thanks guys. Going in today. Anxiety high but meeting arranged to discuss my feelings. This is 3rd sen provision and the worst one at handling issues like this so fingers crossed. At my first college we had a few incidents like this but I never felt at risk .

Anxiety high but meeting arranged to discuss my feelings
This is good to discuss your experience. It sounds very anxiety inducing and while others are accommodating your classmate’s needs, you will have to look out for your own.

I think it’s perfectly okay to take space from someone who is physically agitated. I hope you get better support after your meeting.

Well update . Had the meeting. Was told “well she never hit you“ and nothings been done. Older sisters going to ring and ask to see a risk assessment of the situation.

That’s disappointing. That’s good to call in some support and advocate for yourself with your sister. Sorry your meeting went nowhere with a total lack of understanding for your sense of safety. Keep trying. You deserve peace of mind at school.

New Threads

Top Bottom