• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Robin Hood, King Arthur, and Hollywood's Problem with Public Domain Properties

AGXStarseed

With a new movie adaptation of Robin Hood - one of the most well known characters of British folklore and one of the most well-known public domain characters - coming out in November this year, this video looks at why Hollywood seems to stuggle when it comes to adapting both Robin Hood and King Arthur nowadays when previous adaptations could do well.
As well as pointing out the flaws of the newer versions and the reasons why people don't flock to the theatres to see these films like they do with characters such as Batman, the video addresses whether Hollywood can actually do another successful adaptation with these characters.

Video: Robin Hood, King Arthur and Hollywood's Problem with Public Domain Properties

Related: 10 Public Domain Characters That Are Overdue For A Reboot...

Last edited:
The last good live action Robin Hood movie was Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner IMO, and even that was wrong, an American as an English "folk hero"? Eh?

Other than that, the Disney cartoon that came in the early '70s was a classic IMO, as was the "Robin of Sherwood" TV series that aired on ITV in the mid '80s starring Michael Praed as Robin.

I've always thought the definitive movie of Robin Hood was played by an Australian, Errol Flynn. And that the definitive King Arthur was played by an Irishman, Richard Harris. Even as a musical. :p

John Boorman's film "Excalibur" was interesting, but it would seem remains in the realm of obscurity.

Personally the practice of rehashing the same stories over and over with different perspectives is something that just doesn't appeal to me. Especially with a particular film or lead actor that makes a certain performance so unforgettable.

The last good live action Robin Hood movie was Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner IMO, and even that was wrong, an American as an English "folk hero"? Eh?

Other than that, the Disney cartoon that came in the early '70s was a classic IMO, as was the "Robin of Sherwood" TV series that aired on ITV in the mid '80s starring Michael Praed as Robin.

Well to be fair, we've had British people playing Americans before; one of the most notable that I can think of being Henry Cavill playing the role of Clark Kent/Superman in the DCEU.
As long as they do the job well I can deal with it - like how in Disney's animated version (which I also love) a good number of the roles were played by American actors/actresses including Little John, Alan-a-Dale, Friar Tuck, Sir Hiss, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Trigger and Nutsy, Sexton and his Wife and the Captain of the Guard (the crocodile).

I've never seen the "Robin of Sherwood" series but I do intend to watch it at some point.

Well to be fair, we've had British people playing Americans before; one of the most notable that I can think of being Henry Cavill playing the role of Clark Kent/Superman in the DCEU.
As long as they do the job well I can deal with it - like how in Disney's animated version (which I also love) a good number of the roles were played by American actors/actresses including Little John, Alan-a-Dale, Friar Tuck, Sir Hiss, the Sheriff of Nottingham, Trigger and Nutsy, Sexton and his Wife and the Captain of the Guard (the crocodile).

I've never seen the "Robin of Sherwood" series but I do intend to watch it at some point.

LOL. Absolutely. Look at the recent AMC tv production "Turn". Chronicling spies of the American Revolution. With Englishman Jamie Bell in the lead role. Equally amusing was Hollywood-born Burn Gorman convincingly playing a British officer. :p

Clearly nationality isn't an issue when it comes to casting. Geez...look at the tv series "Salvation". With the lead role involving a Venezuelan playing a Brit who was born in the US and ends up becoming president. o_O

But there are limits. Andrew Lincoln wouldn't know a Georgia accent if it bit him on his ass. And even esteemed actor Richard Burton was an embarrassment attempting to play a Southerner in "The Klansman". Perhaps the funniest failure of doing foreign accents would go to Monty Python's Graham Chapman, who absolutely struggled in comedy skits in attempting to appear as an American. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think if they were to do an adaption of either Arthur or Robin Hood in an appropriately accurate historical context I'd go see it. They've tried before, though, & each time it as fallen short. The Arthur movie that came out several years ago, where he was cast as a Romano-briton warlord with Sarmatian auxiliaries as his Knights of the Round table was an ambitious step in that direction, but was so woefully poorly done I felt.

It's not on any more, but there might be some episodes on YouTube.

And yeah I've seen some movies where Brits play Americans, such as the late Bob Hoskins, he played a lot of roles talking in a New York accent such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

LOL. Absolutely. Look at the recent AMC tv production "Turn". Chronicling spies of the American Revolution. With Englishman Jamie Bell in the lead role. Equally amusing was Hollywood-born Burn Gorman convincingly playing a British officer. :p

Clearly nationality isn't an issue when it comes to casting. Geez...look at the tv series "Salvation". With the lead role involving a Venezuelan playing a Brit who was born in the US and ends up becoming president. o_O

But there are limits. Andrew Lincoln wouldn't know a Georgia accent if it bit him on his ass. And even esteemed actor Richard Burton was an embarrassment attempting to play a Southerner in "The Klansman". Perhaps the funniest failure of doing foreign accents would go to Monty Python's Graham Chapman, who absolutely struggled in comedy skits in attempting to appear as an American. :rolleyes:

I would argue Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins was one of the worst, although it probably didn't help that to guy who apparently trained him in said accent was Irish.

I would argue Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins was one of the worst, although it probably didn't help that to guy who apparently trained him in said accent was Irish.

LOL...yeah, another case where not every actor can convincingly pull off a foreign accent.

On a slightly different note I still find it funny that young Draco Malfoy had a cockney accent while his posh parents did not. :confused:

I think if they were to do an adaption of either Arthur or Robin Hood in an appropriately accurate historical context I'd go see it. They've tried before, though, & each time it as fallen short. The Arthur movie that came out several years ago, where he was cast as a Romano-briton warlord with Sarmatian auxiliaries as his Knights of the Round table was an ambitious step in that direction, but was so woefully poorly done I felt.

The problem with King Arthur is, depending on what you read there's no real 'canon' for the story. It's come from very little source material and been expanded on/rewritten several times depending on the writer and time period.
Here, this lady goes into detail about the story of King Arthur and in the video below, she talks about the exploits of some of his knights.

Legends Summarized: King Arthur
Legends Summarized: Arthur's Knights

And even with available, objective history we've all seen how film producers and directors can so easily dismiss and replace historical fact for dramatic effect and remain within a budget.

And even with available, objective history we've all seen how film producers and directors can so easily dismiss and replace historical fact for dramatic effect and remain within a budget.

Exactly. Which is why I have a love/hate relationship with historical movies...

Well the original legend is about a man fighting a corrupt government, not "stealing from the rich and giving to the poor". Hollywood has tried to have more faithful adaptations, but in light of all the SJWness in Hollywood, I feel there is only one person that can play Robin Hood:
Bernie_Sanders.jpg

Errol Flynn was the original Robin Hood IMO. Although Daffy Duck gave an impressive performance, lol.

I think it’s been done to death and that’s why people cannot get excited about It though use to like the Errol Flynn version and the Disney version of Robin Hood as a kid and also I liked The sword in the stone which was my favourite version of the King Arthur Story though Excalibur is impressive too.

If they did a King Arthur story in the future, I'd prefer it to be a TV show that covered the story as accurately as possible (while updating and adding new material where needed) as I think it could be entertaining and I would love to see some of the stories about Arthur's Knights be shown - like the story of Feirefiz; a mixed race knight with very awesome armour, and Galehaut; the 'uncrowned king' who tries to conquer Arthur but is so mesmerized when he sees Lancelot fight that he surrenders in exchange for becoming Lancelot's friend - with it never been made clear if he just really likes Lancelot or if his feelings are more romantic.
Like I said, it could make for some good stories, good drama, good comedy, good action and a fair amount of heart.
(See my two videos above for more information)

Alternatively for King Arthur, we often hear the legend that he is "The Once and Future King" and that when Britain is in its greatest time of need, he will rise again in the role of a Messiah to save his people. Even the TV series Merlin - which did its own take on the Mythos - pointed this out in the final episode:
We've had one or two attempts at this such as the comic Camelot 3000, which showed King Arthur and Merlin returning in the year 3000 (where we don't live underwater) to battle an alien invasion masterminded by Morgan Le Fay - with Guinevere, Mordred and King Arthur's knights all reincarnated into different people. However, we've never had a TV/Movie version of a story that depicts Arthur returning to the modern day - which again I think could work.

Some people have said King Arthur - or indeed any of the other "Kings in the Mountain" who are supposed to return - coming back would be pointless because he would still have his medieval mindset in a world which has moved on and he would likely be arrested if he retrieves Excalibur for walking the streets while carrying a weapon (trust me - there are a fair few arguments like this and Monty Python probably said it best).

With that out of the way, however, it's said that Arthur is only sleeping until the day he's needed (and presumably this is an ageless sleep). Well, while his body is healing and taking a long nap, who knows what his spirit is getting up to?
Phenomena like "out of body experiences" and "astral projection" (where you can make your spirit leave your body and explore around) have been talked about for a long time and some people even claim that on the 'astral plane/astral realm' there are things you can learn, people you can meet, etc.
I won't go too far into this as we're not in the religion thread, but what if Arthur has been astral projecting for the centuries since his 'death' - learning more from higher evolved beings on the astral plane, putting his past to rest regarding Lancelot's affair with his wife and everything surrounding Mordred, maybe meeting Merlin on the plane and continuing to learn from him for when both will eventually return, gaining psychic/supernatural powers from the constant projections and from what he is taught, watching the world develop and change throughout the centuries and learning what worked/what didn't, etc.

As such, when he returns in the hour of greatest need (say we take the Camelot 3000 route and claim Earth is been invaded by aliens who have wiped out the government and the monarchy), he would be smarter, wiser and more powerful than before - maybe initially joining humanity's resistance as a soldier before eventually revealing who he is and leading humanity to victory before taking his place as the new ruler to rebuild Britain and bring peace.
It's an outlandish idea, but the original stories were pretty 'Wiley Coyote' at times as well.

I like the old hokey costume epics of my childhood best. :D

Knights of the Round Table (1953)
296680.jpg

Well the original legend is about a man fighting a corrupt government, not "stealing from the rich and giving to the poor". Hollywood has tried to have more faithful adaptations, but in light of all the SJWness in Hollywood, I feel there is only one person that can play Robin Hood:
Bernie_Sanders.jpg

Hollywood thought differently:

08eb5b40-44dc-11ee-a86f-bd20079ff8eb

New Threads

Top Bottom