• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rigidity and autism?

Myrtonos

So those on the spectrum often have their rigidities, rigid behaviour, rigid beliefs, etc. But even those without autism can have their rigidities too. In fact, it has been the case before that I might have a stance on something that neurotypicals might say is rigid and I might talk to a person that doesn't seem to be on the spectrum that has a different and opposing stance that might seem rigid.

Everyone seems to have certain things they are very rigid about and even if proof points elsewise.

I don't know if it is the ASD, but, I've always been told I am very stubborn.
To me that means I hold firm to my beliefs and never want someone trying to change them.
It can also apply to wanting something. I want what I want when I want it and will do most anything
to get it. Not stealing, but, pursuing.

My feeling on ASD and rigidity is routine is the most difficult.
If my plans are changed to accomodate someone else or something keeps me from my routine,
I feel zoned out in my brain. Thinking becomes foggy. And I feel "spaced out".
A type of dissociative condition.
That's one main reason I don't like living with someone.
Especially someone who disrespects bounderies. Just interrupts or asks to stop what I'm doing
and do what they want.

My experience with people is that when they accuse me of being rigid, it's because I disagree with them, I stick to my guns and won't concede or bend to their way of thinking. Having different opinions to others is not an issue; the issue only comes about when one person tries to force another person change their opinion to match theirs. Opinions need to be respected, including those that are different to your own.

Other circumstances where I've been told that I'm rigid, is when, as @SusanLR also says above, I haven't wanted to change my routine or plans to fit in with other people's. This is sometimes necessary and one needs a degree of flexibility, but I often struggle with this - it can cause me a considerable amount of stress.

When people can't manipulate me then l am accused of being rigid. When l won't release my boundaries to follow your needs then l am inflexible. My employer does stick up for me when l am bullied. l am learning to get a tab better but l really need to work on this more. If being rigid means having boundaries then l am rigid. We are rigid to a degree and it can get us in trouble but l think we do try to listen and accept criticism.

I don't think rigid beliefs is strongly correlated with ASD. I realize there seems to be some connection. I would think that borderline delusional beliefs, like flat earth and creationism have no correlation with ASD. On the other hand, isn't our rigid thinking helpful when it comes to the breakthrough ideas that often come from ASD people. When we latch onto an obtuse idea, we are certainly less likely to be dissuaded from it than others. I would hope we are likely to listen to concrete arguments against the idea though. Like the overwhelming scientific evidence against the two beliefs I listed.

I am thinking I used to be more prone to these rigid thought patterns prior to my ASD diagnosis. A combination of my neurodivergent, "out-of-the-box" thinking, my intense need to go down "rabbit holes" in order to find meaning, and a narcissistic streak in me, often lead to me being someone that others really couldn't discuss things with. Once I settled on a position, that was it.

After my ASD diagnosis, and a considerable amount of self-reflection and study,...I realize some of my positions on things were wrong as I was not considering,...and not studying other ways of interpreting what was before me. Mostly, it comes down to me,...now,...having others proof read and edit professional communications, lectures, etc. It means,...now,...discussing things with my up-line before opening my mouth to the staff. It means,...now,...learning to listen to other opinions and beliefs, as others will may approach things based upon a different life experience and area of study. All of this goes both ways, especially now that people that I work with know that I am on the spectrum,...I am given a bit of grace,...but they've known for years that I've special talents that they do not have. It's a bit strange now, for the both of us,...me asking them their thoughts on something. I now understand that sometimes two, very different ways of thinking can lead to much better decision making,...if both are willing to be open to that interaction.

I'm accused of being rigid and inflexible, by both my co-workers and my family.

Part of this comes from my sensory issues. When one lives in an unpredictable, miserable, and painful cacophony of sounds, lights, and unpleasant textures and tastes . . . I tend to try to control my environment so that I can avoid the misery as much as I can.

When it comes to beliefs, I'm pretty rigid, but not totally inflexible.

When comes to routine, I seem to mostly be rigid when it comes to bad habits I'd like to brake lol.

In my case, if someone without autism has a different, seemingly rigid stance, I might find it hard to believe they know better given my personal experience and having heard the neurotypicals are less clear thinkers and that the autistic community thinks better.

I always thought "rigidity" was about routine and change. I am very "rigid" in the sense that I don't take changes to my routines well. I used to think I did, but I just thought the intense stress that I feel from it was normal. I learned most people don't freeze up and feel panicked when how they're expected to do something or go about their day changes.

One example of people seeming rigid/inflexible is when I point out something seemingly obvious that they are mysteriously not taking into account and all they say is that it doesn't matter. Another example is saying something is too bad.

My feeling on ASD and rigidity is routine is the most difficult.
If my plans are changed to accomodate someone else or something keeps me from my routine,
I feel zoned out in my brain. Thinking becomes foggy. And I feel "spaced out".
A type of dissociative condition.

I have the same feeling...there are certain things I just can't do outside of routine or I feel very strange the rest of the day. I've never heard someone else describe it though...I thought I was the only one who would start to dissociate if I couldn't follow my routine. I also get really angry/agitated at sudden unexpected changes.

I do enjoy spontaneity, but it has to be planned spontaneity. I can plan an activity and plan that I will be spontaneous that day. Then I'll enjoy doing things in an unstructured way. And it's not really unplanned, because I planned to be unstructured that day.

With any diagnosis symptoms can show up in the general population it only qualifies for a diagnosis if you meet enough criteria and it interrupts your life or makes it harder.

Being ridgid is something found in everyone but for me it's one of my hardest traits to deal with. I have had meltdowns over trees nearby me getting cut down, getting a new remote, a different brand of ketchup, getting a new couch etc any change knocks me off my metaphorical horse and it's so hard to get back on.

With the help of therapy I have been able to get better with it but even today the salt my dad got was extra fine and not normal grind and I felt anxious to the point my chest got tight just looking at the label.

I saw a video once of a professor talking about ADHD but I think it applies here too: Every symptom of ADHD neurotypical people do. People are forgetful, distractible, not always organized, sometimes they are impulsive or talk to much or too fast but it's more about how those traits are presenting.

Yes many people are rigid, don't always read social cues, have intense interests, have hard to manage emotions at times etc but it's more about being outside of the normal range and meeting enough criteria.

New Threads

Top Bottom