• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Revision would eliminate Asperger's as a diagnosis and replace it with ASD

Pedro

Revision would eliminate Asperger's as a diagnosis and replace it with autism spectrum disorder
James T. Mulder / The Post-Standard
Published: Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 8:44 AM

Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism being diagnosed in a growing number of children, may soon disappear from the official psychiatric diagnostic manual.

Under a proposed revision, Asperger's would be eliminated as a diagnosis and be replaced by autism spectrum disorder -- a label that would apply to all types of autism, from the mildest form to the most severe. The proposal also would eliminate another autism diagnosis -- pervasive development disorder -- not otherwise specified.

The proposed change is generating controversy. Experts revising the manual for the American Psychiatric Association say the Asperger's diagnosis is confusing and that the distinction between Asperger's and "high-functioning" autism is often meaningless. Some patients and their families, however, want Asperger's to remain in the manual because they believe the diagnosis is part of their identity and differentiates them from more severely disabled autistic people.

"I see lots of young adults who enjoy this label and diagnosis," says Dr. Kevin Antshel, a clinical psychologist at Upstate Medical University. "They say, 'So what if I'm quirky? I'm an Aspy.'"

The revised edition of the American Psychiatric Association's diagnostic manual is due out in 2013.

The various forms of autism affect about 1 of 110 U.S. children, according to federal estimates.

There are now three different autism diagnoses:

*Autistic disorder or classic autism, characterized by significant language delays, social and communication challenges, and unusual behaviors and interests. Some individuals in this category also have intellectual disabilities.

*Asperger's, characterized by milder symptoms of autism, but typically no problems with language or intellectual disability.

*Pervasive developmental disorder -- not otherwise specified. Individuals in this category have some, but not all of the symptoms that accompany the other two diagnoses.

Under the proposed revision, clinicians making the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder would rank the symptoms by severity.

Asperger's has been an official diagnosis since 1994, 50 years after the condition was first described by Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger.

Antshel believes getting rid of the Asperger's diagnosis is a good move. Research shows there's a lot of overlap between the different forms of autism, he says. "Some people who have an autism diagnosis eventually morph into Asperger's and vice versa," Antshel says. "I think it would help reduce some confusion."

The autism spectrum disorder diagnosis may make it easier for some youngsters with Asperger's to get services in school. "There are a lot of individuals with Asperger's I see who are not getting services in school because they are considered too high functioning," he says. "They may be doing well academically, but they are not functioning well socially."

Marylee McClaskey of Baldwinsville has 13-year-old twin sons -- one with Asperger's, the other with autism. She believes getting rid of the Asperger's diagnosis would be a big mistake.

"In my experience, the minute educators hear 'autism' they say, 'OK. This kid is not going to amount to much. We will just do the best we can with him,'" she says. McClaskey fears children with Asperger's won't get the support they need if the diagnosis is discarded.

Carroll Grant, director of Upstate Medical University's Margaret L. Williams Developmental Evaluation Center, which sees many children with autism, said it is important that any changes made in the diagnostic label account for differences in each child's learning style and the way they process information.

Grant said the debate over eliminating the Asperger's diagnosis reminds her of the catch phrase popular among disability rights groups: "Label jars, not people."
"You don't want a label at all, but it may be the evil you need to access services, not to say you are damaged goods," Grant says.

Original article: here

Interesting read, though I heard about it a bit already.

The only thing that comes to mind with all of this is; Even if they get rid of aspergers as a specific thing and label it under HFA, does that change the way people see you/me/us? For most, I think people will rather think of us as "he's autistic" and treat you like a little kid. Because... hey... "he's autistic!". I don't think the problem is the difference is doctors to some extent. The only thing I can imagine is the "official diagnosis". But it's more a thing where people are badly informed about the difference within the spectrum. A lot of austic people aren't, pardon the expression "retarded". Some function well in a lot of area's, a lot better then NT people, just not on all levels. That's more a compensation I guess.

I think it's harder in schools like this, because you're not being labeled as "aspie" and having the traits, but teachers are only being taught "how to handle someone who is autistic", without taking in account the wide variety on the spectrum.

So I agree with Carroll Grant where she states it would be important that it would be important to make the diagnostic label more well.. "flexible" for anyone in the spectrum and not give everyone the same treatment, which even with the differences currently, does not work.

I know all this is not really new, but as this piece was published today, and it would be interesting to know what you guys think about it, I decided to post it. In matter of fact, I thought I had posted this information a while ago, but since I couldn't find it, I posted this now. Perhaps, I read about it, but never posted.

I'm pretty sure someone posted about it, if not yourself. Still, it's interesting to see what others think of it.

I've talked about it to the doctor who diagnozed one of my kids and then to the doctor who diagnozed me. I think it will simplify things. My son was actually diagnozed with ASD but in order to get services we decided to write Autism, just in case. I don't really care if it's Aspergers or ASD. People who've been doagnozed years ago might care more. As for the mom's remark. That's some random people's problem and has nothing to do with the diagnosis. I saw some peope who've been diagnozed with Autism and with normal or above normal intelligence.... and don't let me start talking about intelligence... anyway if some educators are full of crap, it shouldn't effect the decision. I personally believe Autism and Aspergers are apples from the same tree, so there's nothing wrong with naming them all ASD. As for differences... there're so many of them you can't really give names to them all...

I actually had heard that they were thinking about it. I also was a class that talked about Autism and Asperger's and a group in the class did a project on how that might affect people with the changes. Personally I think the difference isn't really in the actually diagnosis but how its treated by mainstream people. People in general are already confused by the difference between what AS is and what Autism is. I think a lot of people in this thread are right. People are just now starting to be more trained in understanding the whole spectrum rather than just one or the other.

New Threads

Top Bottom