• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retro computer and video gaming.

I have an android TV Box. As well as the Kodi software which allows me to stream tv and movies for free which is its main function. I am also able to download from the Google Play Store. Therefore I have downloaded N64, SNES and Megadrive/Genesis emulators with full USB game pad support along with a large collection of game roms. So now I can get to play the Sonic and Mario series etc. It's like having the classic consoles again. I'm currently playing Star Wars Pod Racer on the N64. One of my favourite racers of all time. It has a slightly annoying emulator graphical glitch on the racer selection screen though that you can't see the character you've chosen, except for their name (which mostly doesn't help as apart from Anakin they're all minor characters). It's not too significant though as the main gameplay is fine. It's definitely one of those games which is best played in first-person view mode.

I have an android TV Box. As well as the Kodi software which allows me to stream tv and movies for free which is its main function. I am also able to download from the Google Play Store. Therefore I have downloaded N64, SNES and Megadrive/Genesis emulators with full USB game pad support along with a large collection of game roms. So now I can get to play the Sonic and Mario series etc. It's like having the classic consoles again. I'm currently playing Star Wars Pod Racer on the N64. One of my favourite racers of all time. It has a slightly annoying emulator graphical glitch on the racer selection screen though that you can't see the character you've chosen, except for their name (which mostly doesn't help as apart from Anakin they're all minor characters). It's not too significant though as the main gameplay is fine. It's definitely one of those games which is best played in first-person view mode.
That's cool, I didn't know the Google Play Store had retro games.

The risk of that though I believe is too small to worry about. Unlike with the music and TV movie industry, the computer video game companies don't seem to be shutting down game rom sharing sites. I think most software houses particularly of the 1980's for home microcomputers aren't even around anymore, and those that still holds copyright most likely don't see much profit in it these days and support the free archiving of the old games anyway. But it's the major console companies like Nintendo and Electronic Arts etc that are probably more protective of old games, but even they don't seem to be doing much about it. I think it's because they see retro gaming as much more of a smaller niche market that's not really worth pursuing time and money to fruitlessly try shut down, unlike what we see with the music and film industry. I am a pretty active scener in the Commodore gaming community, and this crops up rarely from time to time. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hmm, I would've thought the likes of Nintendo would literally take you to the cleaner's and back for Pirating their ROM images, even of older games such as the first Super Mario and Zelda stuff.

I used to be a Sony fan 20 odd years ago, it was my first venture beyond 16 bit gaming after owning a SNES, best games were Soul Blade and a Legend of Zelda clone called Alundra.

Hmm, I would've thought the likes of Nintendo would literally take you to the cleaner's and back for Pirating their ROM images, even of older games such as the first Super Mario and Zelda stuff.

I used to be a Sony fan 20 odd years ago, it was my first venture beyond 16 bit gaming after owning a SNES, best games were Soul Blade and a Legend of Zelda clone called Alundra.

When it comes to consoles, I've always been a PlayStation guy - PS1, PS2 and now PS3 (I'm not going to get a PS4 until later when the price drops some more).

With handhelds, it's always been Nintendo - starting with a Gameboy Advance and later GBA SP, before 'concluding' with a Nintendo DS Lite, although honestly I only played with a DS because I won one out of a stacker machine in a pub on a night out with my dad. :D)

My DS lite gave me a lot of fun until one day when the top screen gave out, so I just used it as a glorified GBA until I couldn't charge it anymore. After that, I gave my GBA games away to charity.

When it comes to consoles, I've always been a PlayStation guy - PS1, PS2 and now PS3 (I'm not going to get a PS4 until later when the price drops some more).

With handhelds, it's always been Nintendo - starting with a Gameboy Advance and later GBA SP, before 'concluding' with a Nintendo DS Lite, although honestly I only played with a DS because I won one out of a stacker machine in a pub on a night out with my dad. :D)

My DS lite gave me a lot of fun until one day when the top screen gave out, so I just used it as a glorified GBA until I couldn't charge it anymore. After that, I gave my GBA games away to charity.

I had a DS, which I bought a few years ago second hand, off a friend of mine in a Pub, bought a few games for it but then a few years later I stopped playing it and sold all the games to CEX in Town towards an IPod, they wouldn't take the actual DS due to cosmetic flaws.

Shame though, there was some good stuff, such as New Super Mario Bros, easily the best Mario game since Super Mario World on the SNES IMO, and one of the Pokemon games.

It surprises me a little too tbh. Sintendo (which I prefer to call them, heh) got the lawyers out in 1988 and took a game of the shelves which were released on home microcomputers a week after release, called The Great Giana Sisters. You don't need to be a game expert of what certain platformer that was totally ripped off from. I actually bought a cassette copy in time for the C64, but have long lost it. Worth a small fortune now. Gutted. They are very protective of their franchises, but I think times has changed a little since then in the game industry as they seemed to have taken a slightly different path, as game piracy of old titles on obselete systems aren't nearly as damaging as piracy of old music and movies/TV shows.

It surprises me a little too tbh. Sintendo (which I prefer to call them, heh) got the lawyers out in 1988 and took a game of the shelves which were released on home microcomputers a week after release, called The Great Giana Sisters. You don't need to be a game expert of what certain platformer that was totally ripped off from. I actually bought a cassette copy in time for the C64, but have long lost it. Worth a small fortune now. Gutted. They are very protective of their franchises, but I think times has changed a little since then in the game industry as they seemed to have taken a slightly different path, as game piracy of old titles on obselete systems aren't nearly as damaging as piracy of old music and movies/TV shows.

Yeah, I remember seeing a video regarding the Great Giana Sisters.
Still, Nintendo seems to have forgiven the rip-off artists as they released a Great Giana Sisters game for the Nintendo DS.

There is a modern PC version too which you can buy on Steam, which isn't a remake as it's a totally different game with full directional scrolling subtitled Twisted Dreams, with an add on sequel to that too. I prefer to call it a sequel, and it's fantastic. Definitely worth getting.

Both the C16 and C64 are now souped up with modern SD card technology, no more tapes or disks and instant loading. Plus a lot more new techy addons asides. Games all downloaded freely from the internet, along with many brand new games still being released regularly to this day by enthusiasts. My C64 also has WiFi internet, I can browse bulletin boards hosted by other commie users and download straight onto the SD Card.
Wow! Did the SD/WiFi mods come standard, or did you have to make them yourself?

What browser does it use? Does it use a mouse?

My first computer was a Commodore SX-64 (circa 1985).

Wow! Did the SD/WiFi mods come standard, or did you have to make them yourself?

What browser does it use? Does it use a mouse?

My first computer was a Commodore SX-64 (circa 1985).
Hi. Nope, they don't come as standard. They're sold separately. The WiFi adapter you can buy easily on eBay which you plug into the userport. Here's my one.
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg

You don't browse the internet in the usual way, for instance you can't access Google or any mainstream internet sites like this one. It has its own BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems) specially designed just for Commodore machines. They were actually around in the 1980's, and there are still some original ones back then still active today.
Here are a list of the bulletin boards you can connect to, to give you an idea: Commodore BBS Outpost
Only these days there are no huge phone bills. You can access news boards, chat to other members and even download software straight onto disk.
I don't think there is mouse support, mainly just keyboard. There might be a C64 terminal program which has mouse and joystick support.
I use this to connect: [CSDb] - Striketerm 2014 Final by Alwyz (2014)

As for the SD card. This is what I have which you plug into the cartridge port.
1541 Ultimate2
The 1541Ultimate2 cartridge is probably the most advanced and most important piece of hardware you could ever buy for the C64. It's the swiss-army knife for the C64 and more important than owning a disk drive. But it's not cheap, but it's worth it. It emulates disk, cassette and cartridge so you can experience the long loading times without the original tapes and disks. It can do a lot more than this though. I have the old model of the 1541U2 though which has an SD card slot. The new version sadly doesn't have one, but it does have two extra USB ports to my single one, so you can still use a memory stick. I might update mine soon. You can even remotely connect it to the PC to transfer downloaded files.

I also have this which is fully compatible with my Commodore 16: Manosoft C64SD website | C=ommodore Passion
Although I have version 3.0 of it.
Here's a couple of videos I made on it.

Sorry, I'm showing off now:sunglasses:

got stolen twice and I gave up on replacing it since all I had left was the system and controllers.
This happen to my sister once. I decided to give her my collection and just use an emulator. The later on in my life I decided to start collecting again.

I was ripped off in late 1995 of my original C64. I was short of cash at the time as I had only just recently moved to a small bedsit so no longer had the room either, and so I sold it to the father of a guy I knew who shared the same building in a bedsit down the hallway. I asked about a hundred quid for the lot. Computer, disk drive, cartridges and tons of disk and tape games. A bargain. What was I thinking?

He asked if he could pay me £20 for it now, and the rest next week. Like a bigger fool I agreed. A week went by, no money. Another week, still no cash. I was eventually told by his son (in the bedsit opposite) that he said that the computer was broken when he got it and he wouldn't give me the rest of the money. Such a liar. I never saw it or him again. One of the cassette games now is worth over a hundred quid alone today as it's so rare. Well lesson learned. I bought my present C64 around 2005, and use the SD card technology now rather than the actual physical cassettes and disks..

I have a 360, but as far as retro stuff goes, I love those games! I have NES, SNES and Genesis, still looking to expand my collection. Favorite game is definitely Super Mario World.

I saw this thread again and it's making me want to play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble for GameBoy Color. Maybe I will.

I had a Spectrum back in the early 80's until it went out of production in 1993.

All Spectrum emulators and games have been legal for years, except that Code Masters wouldn't allow their stuff to be emulated, shame that, they had some classics such as the Dizzy games etc.

Also, up to about this time last year, before the last Chrome OS update, the Web Store had a cool Spectrum emulator which had almost every game ever (including all the Code Masters stuff), but it was removed on the last Chrome OS update.

New Threads

Top Bottom