• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research: Relationships and Sexuality in ASD

Laura Pecora

Dear all Aspies Central Members,

I have only recently become a member of this forum, and would firstly like to thank all members for welcoming me to your online community.

My name is Laura, and I am a PhD student at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. I am currently conducted a study that is looking to learn about the unique experiences of friendships, relationships, and sexuality for individuals with ASD as they approach adolescence and early adulthood. The main aim of this research is to better understand the positive aspects, and associated challenges that males and females on the spectrum face in their pursuit of a healthy sexual development and fulfilling romantic and sexual life.

Given that there is extremely limited research of the experiences that are unique to individuals on the spectrum, it is hoped that improving the knowledge base in this area will work to increase awareness and foster greater understanding among parents, family, and carers of persons with ASD. It is anticipated that the findings of this study will inform and enhance sex-education programs tailored specifically to address those concerns that individuals with ASD may experience.

As such, I am writing on this forum to enquire if you would consider helping me by sharing your thoughts and experiences by participating in this study. This research is particularly interested in responses from people who have a clinical diagnosis of High-functioning ASD or Asperger’s Syndrome, and are aged between 15 and 24 years, and/or their parents.

Participation involves answering an anonymous questionnaire, which should take approximately 25-35 minutes to complete. The study has approval from the Deakin University Human Research Ethics Committee- (DUHREC: 2014-270).

The study can be completed online and can be accessed through the following link: http://psych.hosted-sites.deakin.edu.au/sbs

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]. I am more than happy to answer any queries you may have in regards to the study.

I thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Laura

Yes, as the research is looking into the experiences of individuals as they approach adolescence and early adulthood, we have specified an age criteria of 15-24 years of age, or parents of individuals in this age range. Thank you very much for considering, it is very much appreciated.

New Threads

Top Bottom