• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Remembering Names

Not at all. I see my own short term memory issues as being directly attributed to advancing age.

Luckily they seem confined to unimportant trivia. The sort of thing I can afford to lose track of compared to critical things most people need to recall on a more regular basis. So I try to keep track of these unimportant bits of trivia just to keep my short term memory from turning into mush.

Still it irritates me at times when I see a face and can't instantly match a name to it. But at least it eventually comes to me. Probably because I choose to hang onto such things like a dog with a bone...lol.
Well, I wasn't talking about the memory issues, but rather method you use to "train" or remember. I just find it interesting that you have a specific list of six different names you repeat to yourself to help you remember other names. I haven't heard of this exercise before.

Despite my good memory, I can still get behind the name tag thing, if everyone did it. My name would be something different every day, but I would do it. Haha.

I just find it interesting that you have a specific list of six different names you repeat to yourself to help you remember other names. I haven't heard of this exercise before.

It's based exclusively on my own memory deficiencies.

I have no problem with my long term memory. In terms of my short term memory I'm able to recall in most cases what I truly need to, and on a regular basis. However less-than-important things like names and numbers can elude me. So I make a point of trying to regularly recall these six things which have no real importance to me.

Still, it bothers me a lot when on occasion I forget some of those names.

Last edited:
Myself, I'm bad at names and faces. One time young I was on the schoolbus and realized I could recognize 7 basic faces, and that was it. Hair color helps, but they might change it. So I queue in on data ... distance between eyes, nose to chin, basically slight abnormalities in the "standard shape". Names I can only remember if there is a mnemonic between their name and something interesting about them. But voices, I'll recognize people by their exact pitch, timbre, cadence etc. Also I can recognize by postural shifts, facial expressions (and microexpressions), mannerisms and other kinesthetic cues.

Sometimes, I remember names, faces, both, or neither. It was hard to remember ~130-150 people at once as a former HS teacher, but I caught on eventually because you had to to survive.

For people in general, if I'm attracted to them or we share common interests, I have a natural tendency to remember them more easily, lol. Or someone who seems intentionally or unintentionally repulsive is easier to remember too.

For me, My memory is one of my strengths. I can remember things from when I was a baby 20 plus years ago, I am very good at pulling up obsecure facts about my interests

New Threads

Top Bottom