• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reliable batteries for Nikon Coolpix L52 camera?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I've been using cheap Pound Land batteries up to now and they just don't last, and I can't afford expensive Duracell batteries at over £6 a packet from Tesco, does anyone know a good brand to get that's reliable and doesn't cost the Earth both financially and literally (meaning environmentally friendly when they're used up).

Topic.

I've been using cheap Pound Land batteries up to now and they just don't last, and I can't afford expensive Duracell batteries at over £6 a packet from Tesco, does anyone know a good brand to get that's reliable and doesn't cost the Earth both financially and literally (meaning environmentally friendly when they're used up).

It might be cheaper in the long run to buy rechargeable batteries. That way when they run out, you can stick them back on charge until they're full and you're ready to go again.
As for brands, I'm not too sure. For rechargeable batteries, it may be worth shelling out for Rechargeable Duracell in this case as it's a one-off for 3-5 years.

DURAA2400_1024x1024.jpg

It might be cheaper in the long run to buy rechargeable batteries. That way when they run out, you can stick them back on charge until they're full and you're ready to go again.
As for brands, I'm not too sure. For rechargeable batteries, it may be worth shelling out for Rechargeable Duracell in this case as it's a one-off for 3-5 years.

DURAA2400_1024x1024.jpg
I tried the Duracell "greenies" a few years ago for my audio recorder. I soon discovered that the charge was only equal to about 70% of a disposable. It was such a hassle to keep changing out the batteries and constantly recharging them that I finally gave up on the idea.

Topic.

If you use the camera a lot, definitely get rechargable batteries, there will be a one-time cost up front... The smaller compact cameras also tend to use more battery power than a dSLR camera, keep that in mind...

If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a DSLR camera. The rechargeable batteries last forever, and you can get much higher quality photos. As far as batteries for your current camera, I'd say go with rechargeable ones, but don't expect them to hold a charge for all that long.. Maybe 50-70% of the charge of a disposable. One way to maybe save juice is to turn the screen off if you have one, and if possible. Good luck!

If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a DSLR camera. The rechargeable batteries last forever, and you can get much higher quality photos. As far as batteries for your current camera, I'd say go with rechargeable ones, but don't expect them to hold a charge for all that long.. Maybe 50-70% of the charge of a disposable. One way to maybe save juice is to turn the screen off if you have one, and if possible. Good luck!

I'm on benefits (don't start). I can't afford expensive cameras.

I tried 3 different sets of batteries in my camera last night, and they didn't work, logic dictates that could be 2 things, either the camera's knackered, or the batteries are out of date, those Pound Land batteries only last 2 years.

Either way I need to spend some money at some point, just been on Argos and a pack of rechargeable batteries and a charger would set me back about 35 quid, and I'd possibly have to buy more than 1 pack of batteries so that's even more loot.

Fortunately I have a good spec camera on my phone, with 1080P video recording, so I have a back up option for photos in a bit at the "Mini Con".

Last edited:
I share a similar frustration, though not pertinent to my Canon Digital SLR that uses a proprietary lithium battery that functions and recharges amazingly well even after nine years of consistent use.

For indoor usage (AA/AAA) I tend to buy Sunbeam batteries at the Dollar Tree for less critical uses. Nothing like a pack of alkaline batteries for a buck! Things like indoor flashlights, wireless mouse/keyboard and my digital audio recorder. Effectively avoiding the cost of the mainstream battery manufacturers like Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. But with the same results, where the cheaper batteries just don't last as long. For such less critical uses, I figure I come out ahead with a consistently lower expense. Sure, I get that.

However while even a higher priced alkaline battery can potentially spoil, I'd still recommend them where their use really counts, like using a camera at a specific function. Where you can't afford to run out of power when you really need it.

One thing to consider as well, is to adapt good habits of camera use in conjunction with finite battery power. That is, don't leave your camera on when you aren't actually intending to use it. After all, with any digital camera that relies exclusively on an LCD screen, that screen inherently uses more battery power. Worse if you're shooting video at 1080p. Personally I'd refrain from shooting video altogether on any device dependent on AA batteries. Just too much of a power drain compared to shooting individual pictures.

(On higher-priced SLRs like mine I tend to use only the viewfinder's internal display to save battery power. Yet I still keep the camera off unless I'm truly ready to shoot a picture.)

Sadly this is one situation where the saying "You get what you pay for" stands to reason more often than not given in general that cheaper batteries just don't last as long.

Last edited:
I've had too many Duracell batteries die then leak,ultimately destroying whatever they were in,so when it comes to high end batteries,my first choice is Energizer batteries.

I use Energizer NiCad rechargeables a good bit of the time,but their cells are limited to 1.2 volts as opposed to the 1.6 volts out of a standard 1.5 volt battery.
Most modern electronics function just fine at the lower output,but in a digital point and shoot camera,they might take a hit faster than expected,so it is always a good idea to prepare for it with extras on hand.

I tend to use rechargeables in higher current drain applications where it wipes a carbon battery out a bit faster.

The rechargeable do last a long time and offer many recharging cycles,some of which I have had in use for 4 years now.

At this point in time,there is no battery made that could be considered green in either manufacturing or disposal ;)

I've had too many Duracell batteries die then leak,ultimately destroying whatever they were in,so when it comes to high end batteries,my first choice is Energizer batteries.

I use Energizer NiCad rechargeables a good bit of the time,but their cells are limited to 1.2 volts as opposed to the 1.6 volts out of a standard 1.5 volt battery.
Most modern electronics function just fine at the lower output,but in a digital point and shoot camera,they might take a hit faster than expected,so it is always a good idea to prepare for it with extras on hand.

I tend to use rechargeables in higher current drain applications where it wipes a carbon battery out a bit faster.

The rechargeable do last a long time and offer many recharging cycles,some of which I have had in use for 4 years now.

At this point in time,there is no battery made that could be considered green in either manufacturing or disposal ;)

Well I looked up Energizers at Argos earlier, £9.99 for a pack of 4 rechargeable ones, plus £24.99 for the charger.

Works out cheaper to buy standard batteries and just keep replacing them when they die.

I appreciate what you're saying Rich... I also have concerns with Chinese/Asian made products, where there are lots of sweat shops with very low wages and few workers rights...

But it's very difficult to do all shopping without buying anything made in China, people have tried and failed... A person can do their best to mostly avoid items made in China, but at some point all of us will end up buying Chinese made items...

A little lesson in economics is in order here.
Throughout history,every country that enters into their industrial revolution has been exploited,not just the Chinese.

The fact of the matter is,that as China has grown more used to capitalism and started to drive the prices up,the outsiders seeking inexpensive labor have moved on to other areas in order to exploit them too...

New Threads

Top Bottom