• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relationship confusion with my sister. Seeking insight.

Anonym

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. It's a bit of a rant, but I would appreciate some external viewpoints.

I’m having difficulty with my relationship with my sister.

The short version is that she’s going to a wake today for someone important to her and I criticized her behavior when she called me this morning, complaining about her ex and boasting about the really nasty, mean things she said to him when he was being difficult about coordinating the pickup of their children this afternoon. Don’t get me wrong, he is a bastard, but she’s frequently impulsive, short sighted, irrational and emotionally reactive (even when there isn’t a tragedy to deal with) and I find it confusing and difficult to navigate a conversation when she’s being that way. She hung up on me, then texted to tell me that she loves me and will talk to me next week, she needs to deal with this, everything else is nonsense, there are bigger problems than how she treats her ex, and I seem to have a lot to criticize these days. To which I apologized for my poor timing. I laughed and said that I always have a lot to criticize, it’s how I think, but that I recognized that it was insensitive and inappropriate of me to voice those criticisms while she’s grieving.

It made me angry and sad.

I’m angry at her because, while I don’t dispute the difficulty of what she’s going through, I know that people will lash out when they’re grieving, and I understand needing to prioritize one’s energy to be able to handle these kinds of things, but this is a continued, prolonged pattern of behavior; whatever she’s dealing with is bigger and more important than anything else, period, completely dismissing the value of anything “small” and using that priority to validate having the right to lash out at people and vilify them when they upset her. I’ve heard that you can’t have a rational conversation with an irrational person, but that just doesn’t compute, so while I usually keep my mouth shut and let her rant, sometimes I erroneously attempt the path of reason.

I feel like it’s important to remember that life is made up big and little things and that even though the big things are often all consuming, the little things still matter. For example, it matters how divorced parents treat each other, especially in view and earshot of the children. Continually flinging disparities back and forth only elevates the negativity (which she claims to hate so much, yet continues to perpetuate) and it undermines a child’s development and wellbeing.

I’m angry at myself for not keeping my mouth shut today. She’s grieving, and it was not appropriate of me to say anything. She doesn’t need logic right now, she needs emotional reciprocation and I’m sad that I don’t know how to provide that. I have also experienced intense, personal loss and know that it’s painful and complicated. I’m also sad because what she said about me being more critical lately made me realize that I have to be more reserved; to some degree, the mask must always be maintained. I’ve been letting my guard down and trying to be more open about things, but I think it’s too much to be honest with her, even when also making sure to be kind and approach with a tone of patience and understanding. I will always have to be guarded about my responses, even when she asks for my opinion I need to remember that she doesn’t really want it.

It’s so hard to accept that there’s a possibility she can’t control it; because it’s not how I think, how I would react, I can’t relate to the behavior. Because I don’t know how to tell the difference between unwillingness and inability, I guess I just have to assume in her favor or see myself as a hypocrite. But I have all kinds of difficulties, too. We all do. A large part of being an adult is learning to recognize those things, identifying the behaviors that are hurtful to ourselves and others, and finding healthy ways to cope and improve where we can (without sacrificing personal wellbeing), instead of blaming all of our problems on the behavior of other people.

She matters to me and our relationship is one of a very small set that I actively maintain, but I’m having increased confusion and difficulty knowing how to manage it. I don’t have the energy or the mind for empty platitudes and it feels wrong to encourage destructive and negative behavior, just to avoid the possibility of hurting her feelings. Again, today was not the day to say anything about it to her, but this is a continuing pattern and I would appreciate some external insight.

She may not realize what she's sounding like. I've done it before and when I heard someone else doing it I apologized for ever having sounded that way. You may try just overlooking those statements and skipping over them to continue the conversation in a more positive manner.

So she called you and she started a conversation about her ex. I don’t see how you giving her feedback was wrong.
If you had called HER and brought up the subject, then that would be different.
I don’t think when she is being nasty to the father of her children is anything to brag about. She chose him, chose to have children with him so she should get along with him as much as possible and shut up about it and get over it.
If she is so upset about the wake, she should talk about the wake and if she needs support from you then she can ask you in a way that you can hear and understand.

It sounds like both you and your sister re-evaluated your actions after the fact. That's a good sign of healthy, adult behavior for both of you.

You will always find ways that you could have acted or reacted better. Don't agonize over it, but learn from it and try to do better next time. That's all any of us can do.

She may not realize what she's sounding like. I've done it before and when I heard someone else doing it I apologized for ever having sounded that way. You may try just overlooking those statements and skipping over them to continue the conversation in a more positive manner.

Yeah, I’ve kind of been thinking she doesn’t hear it, too. I don’t judge her for it, I’m sure I come across in all kinds of ways I can’t perceive. I guess I’m just trying to figure out how to be positive and supportive (in general, not just with what's going on today) without feeling like I'm lying to her about what I think.

So she called you and she started a conversation about her ex. I don’t see how you giving her feedback was wrong.
If you had called HER and brought up the subject, then that would be different.
I don’t think when she is being nasty to the father of her children is anything to brag about. She chose him, chose to have children with him so she should get along with him as much as possible and shut up about it and get over it.
If she is so upset about the wake, she should talk about the wake and if she needs support from you then she can ask you in a way that you can hear and understand.

Lol yes. She called me and brought it up and does this frequently. I agree that this sounds like a logical and reasonable way to handle/look at the situation and is definitely more akin to how I would have handled it, but alas, she is neither logical nor reasonable ;). It really kind of drives me nuts and I'm often perplexed by her responses. Sometimes she asks for my opinion, sometimes she doesn't, sometimes she's receptive, sometimes she's not regardless of whether or not she asked me to tell her what I think and I never can tell which way it's going to go.

It sounds like both you and your sister re-evaluated your actions after the fact. That's a good sign of healthy, adult behavior for both of you.

You will always find ways that you could have acted or reacted better. Don't agonize over it, but learn from it and try to do better next time. That's all any of us can do.

Yarp. True, true. Thanks. That's the plan anyway. I guess I'm trying to figure out if "doing better next time" means scaling back on the honesty. Probably. I think I'll try asking her straight out what manner of response she wants before sharing my opinion, something like "do you just need me to listen while you vent, or do you want to know what I think?" If she tells me she doesn't want to hear it, I'll know I can keep my mouth shut! I've had previous success with that approach. It's worth a try, anyway.

Argh, why are relationships so complicated? Oh, right, because they're made up of people. :confused:

Often people rant about issues they have, that can be narrowed down to the essence of feeling disrespected. It is their feeling of not being heard or understood that often leads to the rants as a way to take some sort of control.

What's she really saying without saying it, is that she can't stand up for herself at the time it happens. It's only later, that she feels not quite right about what took place. It's like internal dialogue made audible.

From that description, of a person, I would assume that she needs validation in some way. And that would be one of the ways to approach it. With validation, not agreement necessarily. Simply repeating back her words, and comprehending them for what they actually are. A diatribe of frustration at her inability to 'think on her feet'. Like many people who are unable to react immediately in real time. An actual aspie difficulty that some females and males show.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mia. This makes sense, too. Feeling disrespected, inability to stand up for herself, needing validation. Very important points. I am often too critical of people, but can relate to difficulty thinking on my feet in social interactions. I will keep these insights in mind when speaking with her (and others).

Thanks again guys!

New Threads

Top Bottom