• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relating to specific characters in movies or theater

Diagnosed2015

V.I.P Member
I noticed several posts about music, but I realized something the other night that I wanted to ask about.

When I watch a movie, I tend to "identify" with one or more of the characters. Either because they act or react the way I would in their situation, or because they are doing something I "wish" I could, or just because I enjoy the character. I will often find myself saying (out loud, if I'm not alone) "That's ME!" or, if someone is watching with me, I'll often point to a character and say, 'That's YOU!"

My theater director used to tease me about having a crush in every production, but the crushes were on the "Character" and not the actor or actress.

I find myself doing that when people ask about movie stars, too. I will say, "I like Depp as the pirate," or "I like Cherise Theron in Monster," etc., but I don't particularly like either of them as an actor, completely.

In fact, I recently realized that when I was a kid listening to music, I just heard different songs in succession on the radio and, unless I was particularly drawn to one band, I never really stopped to wonder who or what was being sung, just that I liked the song.

Can anyone relate?

Yeah. I do that too. Certain characters stand out to me and I like them. I watch movies just to see what characters there are and what they are like. Characters I identify with become points of interests for me. Not obsessive. But interest. I only had one character in my life that I got obsessive with.

I get pretty deep into this at times and have to watch myself. If I watch a movie that interests me I relate to someone in it as though I am them or we are connected and I live their emotions.

New Threads

Top Bottom