• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Regional Stereotyping

The cashiers rush you the hell out of the store! It's annoying. These people need to take an upper.

Well, yeah, I'm from Manitoba but I know the stereotype. Oh, yeah, we also go out for Slurpees when it's thirty below. (Winnipeg: we have more 7-11s than all of Eastern Canada! :p)

Have you checked our immigration points system? (Hint: if you can speak French, that's worth about 24385943593475 points. ;))

Yeah... We thought if we're going to the "British" side we wouldn't need French... I guess we should put French on the list of things to learn after all :)

I used to only drive pick up trucks. Toyota specifically. My last was a new Tundra special order with the off road package. I wonder what that says about me living in the south? I have a more economical car for long commutes because gas is so expensive but I always loved my truck.

I used to only drive pick up trucks. Toyota specifically. My last was a new Tundra special order with the off road package. I wonder what that says about me living in the south? I have a more economical car for long commutes because gas is so expensive but I always loved my truck.

Toyota? Gross haha just kidding. If anybody around here drives anything other then Ford or Chevy then it gets real bad real quick.

Yeah... We thought if we're going to the "British" side we wouldn't need French... I guess we should put French on the list of things to learn after all :)

It's just the way our government works - they, for some reason, want French speakers everywhere...even though it would be more practical to learn other languages in certain places (like Tagalog here).

Regional stereotypes for Australia (so far I had heard)

Northern Queensland - Conservative hat-wearing rednecks
Brisbane, Sunshine Coast - older people
Most of NT and Regional NSW, southern Queensland and Victoria - Country people on the farm
Canberra - Crooked politicians
Sydney - Gorgeous-looking Corporate men and women
Melbourne - Artsy
Adelaide/Newcastle, NSW - wine lovers
Darwin, NT/Western Australia - cashed-up people who fish or sail for leisure
New Zealand (treated if it were a state of Aus) - beer guzzlers good at working on cars, and also those guys wearing black that the Wallabies try to beat all the time without success

Not to forget, for every man and woman in inner cities/suburbs, people's names seem to end with -z, -za or -la

Correct me if I'm wrong, because these are stereotypes that a few of Australian friends seem to say

I'm from Iowa, and I've noticed that whenever I travel somewhere and tell people I'm from Iowa they automatically assume I live on a corn farm. That's not the only thing in Iowa and we aren't all farms!

Lessee, as a person from Alabama, I am:
- Inbred and commit incest
- Stupid, uneducated, "backwards", partially because we're all homeschooled
- Racist, particularly against black people and Hispanic immigrants. We're all in the KKK.
- Homophobic, and also very set in traditional gender roles
- Devoutly Christian and completely intolerant of other faiths and even other Christian denominations
- Severely overweight and only eat fried food
- Probably a farmer or work some other back-breaking job
- Live in a mobile home where the grass is never cut or live in a trailer park
- Have a broken down car on cinderblocks in the front yard
- Have an autistic-like obsession for NASCAR and football
- Have an accent that hasn't been used since the 1800s
- Very poor and impoverished

- Or I'm a "Southern Belle" that dresses in frills and lace. Which starts a whole new set on fashion...

I really hate watching any kind of media when the South is brought up. They're usually pretty negative and insulting, or they try to make a good thing insulting like wanting to go barefoot or work a blue-collar job. I didn't realize it was against the "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" part of the Declaration of Independence to want to not wear shoes, and somebody's gotta do the grunt work because it won't get itself done. About the only good stereotype we get is being considered very hospitable and polite. Given some of the people I put up with, I'd hate to see the rest of the country if WE are the experts on manners and civility.

I lived north, south, east and west and the only real difference I could find was the weather. People were the same everywhere. Except maybe in Nevada. I think some of the old timers had been out in the sun too long. ;)

Lessee, as a person from Alabama, I am:
- Inbred and commit incest
- Stupid, uneducated, "backwards", partially because we're all homeschooled
- Racist, particularly against black people and Hispanic immigrants. We're all in the KKK.
- Homophobic, and also very set in traditional gender roles
- Devoutly Christian and completely intolerant of other faiths and even other Christian denominations
- Severely overweight and only eat fried food
- Probably a farmer or work some other back-breaking job
- Live in a mobile home where the grass is never cut or live in a trailer park
- Have a broken down car on cinderblocks in the front yard
- Have an autistic-like obsession for NASCAR and football
- Have an accent that hasn't been used since the 1800s
- Very poor and impoverished

- Or I'm a "Southern Belle" that dresses in frills and lace. Which starts a whole new set on fashion...

I really hate watching any kind of media when the South is brought up. They're usually pretty negative and insulting, or they try to make a good thing insulting like wanting to go barefoot or work a blue-collar job. I didn't realize it was against the "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" part of the Declaration of Independence to want to not wear shoes, and somebody's gotta do the grunt work because it won't get itself done. About the only good stereotype we get is being considered very hospitable and polite. Given some of the people I put up with, I'd hate to see the rest of the country if WE are the experts on manners and civility.

'yee haw
That there is a good list.
Ceptin' that homeschool thang.
Junior & Minnie Mae is stayin' home cause he heps Pa catch catfish by hand, when they's available.
And Minnie Mae, well she's gettin' good practice takin' keer a little ones, baby sitting ain't too hard for her, yet,
in her condition.

Awww you was right, after all. They is homeschoolin.
Ah thot you was tawking about books & such as thayat.
We got us a Bible. Gonna put the date Minnie Mae delivers in it.
Family stuff is importan....pass the sweet tea. Git them dawgs outta heah.'

What prompted that?
Although I live in MI, I was born in LA.
My mother lives in LA.

When my cousin went to CA to do some film production, he was interested to hear that there would be
a Cajun at some party one night. Turned out he was the designated Cajun. He was puzzled. Central Lousiana
is not Cajun country.

Last edited:
'yee haw
That there is a good list.
Ceptin' that homeschool thang.
Junior & Minnie Mae is stayin' home cause he helps Pa catch catfish by hand, when they's available.
And Minnie Mae, well she's gettin' good practice takin' keer a little ones, baby sitting ain't too hard for her,yet,
in her condition.

Awww you was right, after all. They is homeschoolin.
Ah thot you was tawking about books & such as thayat.
We got us a Bible. Gonna put the date Minnie Mae delivers in it.
Family stuff is importan....pass the sweet tea. Git them dawgs outta heah.'

What prompted that?
Although I live in MI, I was born in LA.
My mother lives in LA.

When my cousin went to CA to do some film production, he was interested to hear that there would be
a Cajun at some party one night. Turned out he was the designated Cajun. He was puzzled. Central Lousiana
is not Cajun country.
You nailed the written version of that accent! I could nearly hear it. Cajun accents are something else. Reminds me of an old commercial of a lady sitting at a cafe while some French guy rambles on about his coffee. When he pauses, she says "I didn't understand a single word you were saying, but keep on talking." Heh, must be that French thing that makes Cajun accents nice to listen to. :)

I'm from Australia and while i still have a mild accent it is significantly less pronounced than others. And when I was on holidays in the us everyone was shocked when I told them I was from Australia.

In the part of the UK I come from, people have the reputation of being:

Binge drinking lager louts
Chavas
"Fat slags"
"Why - aye man!"
Toon Army
Students, parties

And the area is made famous by:

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Viz
Byker Grove

So guess what part of the UK I'm from :D It doesn't help that every time the BBC wants to make a programme about alchohol or substance abuse they seem to specifically select that region. Viz comic doesn't help, either. But a stereotype is just that, a stereotype, and I'm glad to say that only a small minority of Geordies live up to their stereotype :)

You nailed the written version of that accent! I could nearly hear it. Cajun accents are something else. Reminds me of an old commercial of a lady sitting at a cafe while some French guy rambles on about his coffee. When he pauses, she says "I didn't understand a single word you were saying, but keep on talking." Heh, must be that French thing that makes Cajun accents nice to listen to. :)

Of the accents me and my wife have heard we felt some from Louisiana's to be the thickest. I am guessing it was not so much from New Orleans area as in other parts of the state. I don't know if it was Cajun per se.

When he pauses, she says "I didn't understand a single word you were saying, but keep on talking." Heh, must be that French thing that makes Cajun accents nice to listen to. :)

When I was 8, we went down (from MI to LA) to visit my mother's mother. My aunt was in high school and I got to ride the bus and go to school with her one day. Her classmates clustered around us. "Oh, the little Yankee makes out she don't know what we're saying..." I wasn't 'making out' anything. For the most part, I did not know what they were talking about.

More recently when I have been down to see my mother, she and I were at the library a couple times a week because she was running the Friends of the Library book sale. I heard the library employees answering the phone: 'Kin ah hep you?'

Her lady friend, Evelyn, is Cajun. Evelyn's speech has no sharp or hard edges. That's how I think of it. When she and my mother got together, I liked hearing the rounded color of what Evelyn said.

New Threads

Top Bottom