• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recently diagnosed

tazz

V.I.P Member
Hi. I'm 50. I live in the UK. Diagnosed in January 2023. I struggle with social interaction and everyday things, and have done all my life. I was trying to get some help and my psychologist suggested I might be autistic. So I got assessed using the right to choose scheme, and here I am. The autism diagnosis is still very new and I don't really know what to think about it yet. I work in software and tech. The last few years I've worked remotely and sort of on my own as a freelancer, which has helped. But that might need to change later this year and the thought of searching for a new job and having to work in teams again is difficult. I also have leukemia. I've had several years of chemo. I'm in remission now. I'm also involved in some humanitarian projects.

welcome to af.png

Hello and welcome! We are all learning together here. There is so much information and support you can tap into. Good to have you here.

Welcome, @tazz. Your story sounds a lot like mine - working as a programmer and diagnosed at 47.

I hope you find this forum as welcoming and helpful as I have.

Welcome! It takes some time for things to settle in, especially if you weren't expecting the diagnosis, so take your time, and we'll be here to share stories, tips, and experiences.

Hi Tazz. It’s nice to meet you. I am 41 and my diagnosis is pretty recent too. The latter part of last year and I am still trying to understand more.

It’s a process I guess and we will get there.

Working in teams is a bit overrated seen it fail over and over during my career, noticed without knowing that I was on the spectrum that the best team was myself just leave me alone and stuff starts to happen. No meeting with groups just one on one interactions with instructions that they follow my instructions, Sort of like he knows what he is doing just do it. It takes a while to build a reputation you may not even be aware it is happening as no one says anything, they quietly talk behind your back and yes they do notice. For me it was staying within the same industry,
for my whole career paint shop to paint shop have painted everything from every substrate you can think of even plastics. As your experience grows the money follows. For me education and experience expanded concurrently. I guess even through never being diagnosed I stumbled onto the path we should follow. Stick to one area of expertise build on it.

Last edited:
Working in teams is a bit overrated seen it fail over and over during my career, noticed without knowing that I was on the spectrum that the best team was myself just leave me alone and stuff starts to happen. No meeting with groups just one on one interactions with instructions that they follow my instructions, Sort of like he knows what he is doing just do it. It takes a while to build a reputation you may not even be aware it is happening as no one says anything, they quietly talk behind your back and yes they do notice. For me it was staying within the same industry,
for my whole career paint shop to paint shop have painted everything from every substrate you can think of even plastics. As your experience grows the money follows. For me education and experience expanded concurrently. I guess even through never being diagnosed I stumbled onto the path we should follow. Stick to one area of expertise build on it.
I respectfully disagree, as I am also ADHD...EIEIO. My "type" of autism wants a stable environment, my "comorbidity" can't tolerate it.

That's why being a USAF crew chief was my dream career. I've been in numerous different capacities because we are the "Jack of all trades, masters of none". I gained incredible experience and have visited many places around the world.

I may NEVER paint as well as you but I get by. I LOVE that we have our individual characteristics!!

I do not like painting, I'm an expert on painting technology. The engineering of painting the how too. ever aspect different resin systems, substrates how to prevent corrosion or weathering, and most importantly how to control aesthetic properties like colour or gloss.
Funny when in the hospital with my stroke had explain to the medical professional's I was not a house painter Actually a lot of the colour they see around at thier workplace or home was probably initially controlled by me personally as I worked on a coil line so if it was made from sheet metal and had colour high chance they were seeing my handiwork.

Last edited:
I do not like painting, I'm an expert on painting technology. The engineering of painting the how too. ever aspect different resin systems, substrates how to prevent corrosion or weathering, and most importantly how to control aesthetic properties like colour or gloss.
Funny when in the hospital with my stroke had explain to the medical professional's I was not a house painter Actually a lot of the colour they see around at thier workplace or home was probably initially controlled by me personally as I worked on a coil line so if it was made from sheet metal and had colour high chance they were seeing my handiwork.
Wow, I AM impressed! I happen to be a new geek digital artist. That means no good but I still send my digital work out for glass prints. I'm too simple for that fancy Taipan Trading Company stuff.

My fascination with color fidelity is on the ascent!

I am sorry to hear about your stroke, may you recover fully!!!

I also before retiring became an expert on industrial printing my former employer has a virtual complete monopoly.
on faux wood grain garage doors. none of their competitors to this day is able to copy them unfortunately, I am retired and not talking. Siding and Roofing soon to follow. Believe me one guy can make a difference. The word impossible, was used a number of times during my career, until it was shown to be possible.

Hi. I'm 50. I live in the UK. Diagnosed in January 2023. I struggle with social interaction and everyday things, and have done all my life. I was trying to get some help and my psychologist suggested I might be autistic. So I got assessed using the right to choose scheme, and here I am. The autism diagnosis is still very new and I don't really know what to think about it yet. I work in software and tech. The last few years I've worked remotely and sort of on my own as a freelancer, which has helped. But that might need to change later this year and the thought of searching for a new job and having to work in teams again is difficult. I also have leukemia. I've had several years of chemo. I'm in remission now. I'm also involved in some humanitarian projects.
Hi and welcome. I've had a lymphoma. I suspect that blood cancers are just more common with ASD because there are more people with lymphoma here.

New Threads

Top Bottom