• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recently diagnosed: My life suddenly makes sense.

Hallzers

Hello people like me,

I was (relatively) recently diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic. I'm in my 40's... and this discovery has been life-changing for me.

When I was a kid they thought I was retarded-- but I scored very well on an IQ test. I had no friends, and everyone always seemed to be frustrated with me. I forced myself to learn social skills in college, but it always felt contrived. I could never hold a "real job" so I ended up going into finance, which turned out to be my "superpower." I got married and then divorced after my former wife realized she was unable to tolerate my idiosyncrasies.

Now that I've learned so much more about the spectrum, I sometimes wonder if I'd be happier on a planet of people who are all Aspies, et cetera. I am looking forward to meeting a few people here and having some friends to talk to who can relate to what its like to live in a world filled with people who are so different than we are.

Kind regards,
Hal

Welcome... It sounds like you might find lots of like minded people here. : )

9c1ef596da917c243eec140a193303ef.png

I like your personality hehehehe

You have hit upon a great forum and I know you will feel very comfortable and fit in very well.

Welcome! I don't have an official diagnosis myself, but I'm 35 and finally made my determination that I'm likely high functioning. (Aspie, but that's not in the DSM 5, grr) But I know what it's like to have your whole life suddenly make sense.

I was (relatively) recently diagnosed as a high-functioning autistic. I'm in my 40's... and this discovery has been life-changing for me.

Same here. I didn't even learn about it until I was 41, and that's was entirely by accident. I finally got "officially" diagnosed at 45.

When I was a kid they thought I was retarded-- but I scored very well on an IQ test. I had no friends, and everyone always seemed to be frustrated with me.

Same here. I too was that "retarded" kid with the "genius" IQ. I also had no friends in school and the ones that I though were my friends, were just using me.

I forced myself to learn social skills in college, but it always felt contrived.

That tends to happen when you go into "theatrical mode" every time you have to socialize. You can only be a chameleon and wear the mask for so long before you get tired and burn out.

I could never hold a "real job" so I ended up going into finance, which turned out to be my "superpower."

Same here. I can't even do a resume or an interview. And even if I get a job without those things. I usually get fired because one of my coworkers gets mad over something I have no idea what whey are talking about.

I got married and then divorced after my former wife realized she was unable to tolerate my idiosyncrasies.

Never been married. Don't really have a desire to do so.

Now that I've learned so much more about the spectrum, I sometimes wonder if I'd be happier on a planet of people who are all Aspies, et cetera. I am looking forward to meeting a few people here and having some friends to talk to who can relate to what its like to live in a world filled with people who are so different than we are.

You've come to the right place.

Hey thanks guys. Its so nice to finally meet a bunch of NORMAL people who are all in one place!

...one of my coworkers gets mad over something I have no idea what whey are talking about.

LOL! That happens to me all the time. "Why are you upset? WTF is going on here?"

I've started taking a new attitude now that I'm aware of the fact that my brain is wired up differently: I'm happy with it. I have talents-- and non-talents. Instead of trying to "fix" my "problems" I just embrace both sides of the coin. :)

Top Bottom