• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Receiving strong emotional expressions/pressure from others..

I am over , prehaps emotive and have been judged by men for being hypersensitive and relendless in my wish for reciprocation in needs being meet, or wanted to provide solutions for 'unavailable' anelectical individuals who find emotions confusing or of no purpose, now, i see i do prehaps at times over think emotions and intent but one of the benefits of 'partners' who slam home this assumtion is based on control and power differential, and a unwilling or unable ability to see anothers point of view or perspective.

Keeping in mind that origins of disorders are unclear and these diagnosis are human made constructions and not really objective - have you ever thought about OCD (whatever its origins are) as the ultimate social disorder for you because infants are really helpless when facing these things?

I was a textbook case of autism. The evidence was so overwhelming that it was very clear I was autistic. I never fit the profile for OCD. I didn't even know I had rigid thinking patterns before I researched CBT. Now that I'm aware of what I had, I see those same thinking errors in every autistic person I know in real life and in most of the posters on this forum so that is more confirmation I was autistic. Those thinking errors explain nearly every symptom of autism listed in the DSM-V.

Also, I've been able to get rid of the other autism symptoms caused by genetics. Many parents have found that milk makes their kids more autistic. That's because it can trigger mast cells in people with mast cell activation syndrome which research suggests may cause 75% of cases of autism. By exposing myself to mast cell triggers, I can turn my remaining autism symptoms on and off. The biggest trigger of mast cells is stress which continually triggers the mast cells in those with untreated emotional problems so that needed to be addressed first before the effect of diet became more noticeable. Unfortunately, the biggest mast cell trigger for me other than stress is pollen (from trees, grass, and ragweed) which I can't avoid for most of the year.

... just like they seem at times unable or unwilling to understand me. For example, logical arguments just don't seem to work on them, so explaining your point of view becomes not only pointless but very exhausting ...
You don't press their buttons. Neither do I. I enjoy not pressing people's buttons. Who needs people who want their buttons pressed.

Yes, but are these people's bread and butter emotions or are they emotionally stressed? Those who need to get their emotions sorted out by others are not typically very good at emotion [school shooters and similar can be such people like this one
].
The man who spoke was plenty good at emotion till his mum & the crooked authorities crushed him just that one time too many. Up till then he always knew what was right. And the friend was good at it. And now this man has been good at it again for a long time.

The mother was a button pusher. The authorities were button pushers.

The man who spoke was plenty good at emotion till his mum & the crooked authorities crushed him just that one time too many.
Well, I would never call him emotion driven person more like that emotions have caused him distress. He wanted to be recognized as a human who has feelings. Not very capable director of emotions like someone who has cult leader capabilities (see it is not always positive).

I am over , prehaps emotive and have been judged by men for being hypersensitive and relendless in my wish for reciprocation in needs being meet, or wanted to provide solutions for 'unavailable' anelectical individuals who find emotions confusing or of no purpose, now, i see i do prehaps at times over think emotions and intent but one of the benefits of 'partners' who slam home this assumtion is based on control and power differential, and a unwilling or unable ability to see anothers point of view or perspective.

Well, many many people call me very expressive. My face is in constant movent. I do not really see myself as emotional. Thoughts generates emotions therefore I can really like something what others call boring like math. Emotions seem to come after. Understanding generates thrilling emotions. A psychiatrist said that I show lots strange emotions removed from the immediate experience. Yeah, my head is constantly buzzing new questions.

I think emotions and theoretical thinking are connected (see my thoughts regarding cult leaders and cult members or scientists and histrionic women who likes deep thinkers) like practical rationale and feelings are because you have to feel responsibility for rational acting. I do not show lots of practical rational behaviour or talk about feelings but I do emote thinking.

Above applies in cases where you show your true strength and are motivated to perform. Of course if you can not follow rationale it generates negative emotions or when your feelings are not met you turn towards harsher rules as well as emotions needs practical applicable forums while a theory calls for an investment to a generated cause. I see these as stressor drivers but they do not meet underlying needs like thinking looks to find intense emotions behind the mist or an emotion wants to meet a clear headed understanding . Sometimes these things are well hidden like in case of Paul Dirac who in his old age found the emotion behind his equations and refused to accept ugly theories

Last edited:
I was a textbook case of autism. The evidence was so overwhelming that it was very clear I was autistic. I never fit the profile for OCD. I didn't even know I had rigid thinking patterns before I researched CBT. Now that I'm aware of what I had, I see those same thinking errors in every autistic person I know in real life and in most of the posters on this forum so that is more confirmation I was autistic. Those thinking errors explain nearly every symptom of autism listed in the DSM-V.
Yes, I'm not denying your experience at all. I'm just questioning the whole diagnosis and the writer as well. Something seems to be twisted in this whole business. Seems like inductive reasoning with very little deduction which does not erase personal problems. I'm very anal in scientific realm because I have science education background and my thinking is very scientific.

For example your case might bring out contradiction which goes against the diagnostic criteria. It ultimately calls out a new category like neuropsychiatric disorder NOS. If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck it is not always a duck. Extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm not denying your experience at all. I'm just questioning the whole diagnosis and the writer as well. Something seems to be twisted in this whole business. Seems like inductive reasoning with very little deduction which does not erase personal problems. I'm very anal in scientific realm because I have science education background and my thinking is very scientific.

For example your case might bring out contradiction which goes against the diagnostic criteria. It ultimately calls out a new category like neuropsychiatric disorder NOS. If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck it is not always a duck. Extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence.

Diagnosis is based on observation. Leo Kanner observed a group of children who acted unlike most people but similarly to each other. He had no idea, nor did others after him, whether their cluster of symptoms were genetic, psychological, or a combination of both (with the genetic aspect predisposing them to psychological problems).

There are numerous autistic people who've claimed their autism has lessened over time. The stories follow the same pattern. Certain symptoms (the ones that are likely genetic such as nonverbal communication impairments) stay the same while others (such as "extreme distress at small changes" that can easily be explained by anxiety) improve over time.

My claim that CBT can help people recover from some symptoms of autism can easily be verified in a scientific study. These studies have already shown that most of the symptoms of autism can be permanently cured.

I've had similar situations with my step dad.

It's hard to talk to him because any little thing can send him off on a rant or argument. The fact that he has a tendency to be sarcastic and a bit of a jerk half the time just mIss it even harder to actually have a conversation with him without pushing one of his buttons. The end result is that I genuinely can't feel completely secure around him. So I feel I always have to be on guard because anything can set him off.

To make matters worse, the stress this brings up usually makes me mess up around him, when normally I would operate just fine.

Even trying to point instruments on why I may do things differently to him don't work. To him, they are just excuses, and nothing gets through to him. It's like arguing to a brick wall.

I can tell I have a similar effect on him, because he gets just as frustrated.

There are quite a few ways I can see us being similar, but our temperaments just give us bad chemestry, so we end up seeing more of the worst in each other.

It can be very infuriating and depressing

Last edited:
The Dark Side of Asperger’s

This article claims that autistic marry people with strong emotional characteristics and they can not handle those sort of people.

What are your experiences? Does it induce panic, depression or confusion?

I must admit that I hugely admire people who are emotional not just in light and jolly way because those people seem unjust missing the point but those who are emotionally directive and even prone to meltdowns or shakedowns and not in terms of poor emotional understanding. They make me feel alive.
So glad I am not alone on this one <3 <3 <3

I love extremely dominant/borderline chicks, goths even... makes me feel alive, so thank you for reassuring me, that I am not alone <3 love you dude, and wish you success and happiness

Unsure why your drive seems to be to remove Austistic tracts and being, like it's some kind of problem as opposed to a different way of being C.B.T helped but hey i still have ASD and no longer want to chuck it to be a more accepted part of N/T thinking or being.

I used CBT for depression, not autism. After I corrected distorted beliefs about myself, my depression went away. After I corrected distorted beliefs about other people, my social anxiety went away. Once that happened, my chronic stress (that I wasn't sure I had) went away and I unexpectedly found myself suddenly able to understand people to the point where I don't really have any social impairments anymore. It wasn't my intention, it just happened after correcting the distorted beliefs that made me depressed and anxious.

The traits and characteristic common in autism that about 1 in 10 people have are part of the broader autism phenotype. Most people with it live normal lives other than being a little odd and having a few problems due to neurological differences. Only about 1 in 5 end up with ASD. In my case (can't speak for anyone else), the additional problems I had were obviously psychological and not a part of who I am (since CBT won't make autistic traits or anything genetic go away). However, the research supports my claim. Studies estimate that 12% to 85% with ASD suffer from depression and/or anxiety. Why such a wide range? Because there's such a huge overlap in symptoms (most ASD symptoms also occur in non-autistic people with depression and anxiety) that researchers can't tell whether those symptoms are part of autism/genetic or secondary to it (depression/anxiety).

Diagnosis is based on observation. Leo Kanner observed a group of children who acted unlike most people but similarly to each other. He had no idea, nor did others after him, whether their cluster of symptoms were genetic, psychological, or a combination of both (with the genetic aspect predisposing them to psychological problems).

There are numerous autistic people who've claimed their autism has lessened over time. The stories follow the same pattern. Certain symptoms (the ones that are likely genetic such as nonverbal communication impairments) stay the same while others (such as "extreme distress at small changes" that can easily be explained by anxiety) improve over time.

My claim that CBT can help people recover from some symptoms of autism can easily be verified in a scientific study. These studies have already shown that most of the symptoms of autism can be permanently cured.

I used CBT for depression, not autism. After I corrected distorted beliefs about myself, my depression went away. After I corrected distorted beliefs about other people, my social anxiety went away. Once that happened, my chronic stress (that I wasn't sure I had) went away and I unexpectedly found myself suddenly able to understand people to the point where I don't really have any social impairments anymore. It wasn't my intention, it just happened after correcting the distorted beliefs that made me depressed and anxious.

The traits and characteristic common in autism that about 1 in 10 people have are part of the broader autism phenotype. Most people with it live normal lives other than being a little odd and having a few problems due to neurological differences. Only about 1 in 5 end up with ASD. In my case (can't speak for anyone else), the additional problems I had were obviously psychological and not a part of who I am (since CBT won't make autistic traits or anything genetic go away). However, the research supports my claim. Studies estimate that 12% to 85% with ASD suffer from depression and/or anxiety. Why such a wide range? Because there's such a huge overlap in symptoms (most ASD symptoms also occur in non-autistic people with depression and anxiety) that researchers can't tell whether those symptoms are part of autism/genetic or secondary to it (depression/anxiety).

Unfortunately symptoms are not the same as the actual thing, so eradication of symptoms of something does not equate to having got rid of the condition. There is plenty that therapy can do to help many people with autism in different ways, and that's the same for people without autism, many people benefit from therapy.

The issues that are fundamental and genetic have both good and some difficult consequences for people with autism. Your posts consistently display aspects of autism of which you appear unaware, and this gives us the experience of being assured by someone who seems oblivious to some of the effects of their autism that CBT etc will cure autism. Next can we ask you to cure neurotypicality perhaps?

Unfortunately symptoms are not the same as the actual thing, so eradication of symptoms of something does not equate to having got rid of the condition. There is plenty that therapy can do to help many people with autism in different ways, and that's the same for people without autism, many people benefit from therapy

Many people won't get therapy if they believe all their symptoms (such as ones caused by autism and anxiety) are solely caused by genetics.

The issues that are fundamental and genetic have both good and some difficult consequences for people with autism. Your posts consistently display aspects of autism of which you appear unaware, and this gives us the experience of being assured by someone who seems oblivious to some of the effects of their autism that CBT etc will cure autism. Next can we ask you to cure neurotypicality perhaps?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all of the positive aspects of ASD are part of the broader autism phenotype. I'm well aware of many autistic traits and strengths. I'm just not sure why I'd need to mention them when my focus is on overcoming depression, anxiety, and reducing stress (things no one, autistic or otherwise, wants) to help understand people better. I have no intention of trying to cure anyone of autism nor do I think a cure is possible or desirable.

I here what you're saying however your 'Formerly Autistic' log on suggests you're 'cured' of a life long neurological difference and as a person who's seeking to accept all of me including my Autism i find yours post tricky and sometimes upsetting, just my opinion of course you have a right to express your perspective as indeed so do i.

Dealing with someone on the spectrum but it's more their ADHD that can be unsettling. I pretty much dial in directly to that energy which is unsettling for me. It feels like a bumper car out of control, she has intense emotions and l feel bad that she is unaware, but l need to use this as a learning tool obviously.

Many people won't get therapy if they believe all their symptoms (such as ones caused by autism and anxiety) are solely caused by genetics.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all of the positive aspects of ASD are part of the broader autism phenotype. I'm well aware of many autistic traits and strengths. I'm just not sure why I'd need to mention them when my focus is on overcoming depression, anxiety, and reducing stress (things no one, autistic or otherwise, wants) to help understand people better. I have no intention of trying to cure anyone of autism nor do I think a cure is possible or desirable.

The problem I'm seeing is that the genetic effects of autism do affect our communication and relating, and can't be eradicated by therapy. Anxiety and depression arise for many of us through the challenges of how we experience our difference, which are not easily understood by ourselves or others.

Many people have the opposite experience to you, that they were never diagnosed, no one noticed or helped much with their confusion and social distress, and many of us had many years in therapy or other attempts to understand or change ourselves, before we we heard about autism and realised it describes what we have experienced, and is why for some of us, many years of therapy haven't achieved some basic changes we thought were possible for us.

Some of us are trying to respect who we are and find strategies to manage how we are around aspects of relating and communication that are not neurotypical and not understood by others, and which you seem unaware of and oblivious to. You don't know what you don't know, it seems, and your posts display that.

Yes, this is why l am so happy these forums exist. This is to help others including myself that need this outlet and need help with understanding emotions. Finding that we all have feelings and have suffered a lot of the same type abuse is actually helpful.

Woman are often subjected to what the Ted Talk male is talking about. It's a way to groom and reprogram woman and set them up for systematic abuse. It was tried on me, but it was tried to late in my lifetime, so l can't flip into that mindset. I lived to many years alone and really can't be reprogrammed at this age. What you see is what you get!!

At what stages/ages would you say are important for being the cutoff... or threshold for reprogramming?
I'm interested in psychology, and always wondered, when at what age... do people want to be accepted for who they are and not changed? Really interested in what your perspective might be on this.

At what stages/ages would you say are important for being the cutoff... or threshold for reprogramming?
I'm interested in psychology, and always wondered, when at what age... do people want to be accepted for who they are and not changed? Really interested in what your perspective might be on this.

Not sure really how to respond to your question. But as a older female, l lived a long time as a independent female, and have been employed. There was never anytime for anything else in my life but work. So l am programmed to be independent. Period.

Last edited:
I here what you're saying however your 'Formerly Autistic' log on suggests you're 'cured' of a life long neurological difference and as a person who's seeking to accept all of me including my Autism i find yours post tricky and sometimes upsetting, just my opinion of course you have a right to express your perspective as indeed so do i.

If I knew how many people on this forum defined autism differently than the medical community, I probably would have chosen another user name but it's too late now. This forum won't let me change it.

Having autistic traits (aka broader autism phenotype) is a neurological difference. I have not cured or recovered from any neurological differences. Autism (as defined by the medical community) refers to a psychological disorder. It occurs when someone born with autistic traits develops psychological problems which may be related to having those autistic traits (such as poorly responding to the way they are treated by other people). I'm not trying to be insulting. It's just a fact. The D in ASD stands for disorder. If your autistic traits don't result in a disorder, then you aren't autistic (according to the medical community). Having a disorder doesn't make you less of a person nor does it mean someone doesn't accept you. I don't recall the exact statistics but I think almost half of Americans have a mental disorder.

Also, I think the #1 cause of death in those with ASD is suicide. The fact is many people hate being autistic and have a low self-esteem because of it. If they worked to overcome their psychological problems, most of them would probably embrace and be proud of their autistic traits. Therefore, I can't think of a better way to help autistic people than to help people overcome those secondary problems so they can be themselves and enjoy their lives.

New Threads

Top Bottom