• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reality Shift Holidays.

Wulven

Had an odd idea today. I might actually live long enough to see years that no longer celebrate Halloween or Christmas. Kinda bothered me. Though admittedly I don't keep track of them much anymore except Christmas.

Interesting to think about, for sure... those holidays have strayed so far from what their original purpose was that I wouldn't be surprised if they ceased to exist someday.
Halloween is my favorite holiday. And I love celebrating Christmas, but with nothing to do with the consumerism aspect- for me, Christmas is about family, and my family is religious so that's part of it for us too. But I view most holidays as a reason to spend time with people I love and care about.

urgh, they've been trying to foist halloween on us in Australia for about 8 years, it's just a sales gimmick, most people don't participate, they get told, 'this isn't america' if they try their dopey doorknocking here. who lets their kids doorknock strangers at night?

Xmas, yuh I'm a christian and I don't do xmas, it's all commercial b/s.

I still like Halloween.
It is something I can enjoy just for myself. I like putting out decorations.
We don't get any kids in the area I live in, but, I always did the doorknocking as a child.
Kids went in groups and it was always cold on Halloween in Missouri.

Christmas was special as a time for just the three of us to be together, cook all day, presents,
and I still enjoy seeing the Christmas lights. Part of the season was about religion.
My parents were very much so.
That's all ghosts of Christmas past now.
It's just me and the Grinch I rent a house with now. :confused:

I live in a country which tends to stick to its own traditions and resist influences from outside, and so Halloween is not really celebrated, and Christmas is not such a big deal. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all. I don't do much for Christmas and I'm not religious, but the holiday is a welcome break from work.

Not so much a reality shift these pagan holidays used to be banned in the USA. Our forefathers that they are trying to change history of were actually way ahead of their time if thier is any sign of evolution they want to push is the fact we are devolving not evolving. I would say more but the rest belong in the religion section.

Holidays were always a source of confusion for me as a child. All of that confusion was due to ourside pressure and expectation from one source or another. Which leads to guilt and other mental nasties.
I haven't yet shed the guilt. But we (my husband and I) really do not participate much in holidays. We don't give gifts for holidays but we do make an effort to let others know we care with phone calls and e-cards.
During the rest of the year I give people gifts at random just because I thought they might like it.

Being on the boat and so far from our families it is easy to not participate. And, I think, as you get older holidays aren't as fun as they seldom have suprises any more. For us holidays pretty much ended a long time ago.

I do miss one thing, seeing how my dog treated toddlers when they came to our door trick-o-treating. He would slow way down, move carefully, and great the tots by bumping their nose with his and wagging his stump nub tail. So sweet!

The main thing with holidays in general is if you get a paid day off from work. What you do with the holiday is up to you. In this respect Nepal is awesome. They have 29!

It's kind of sad that kids don't go trick or treating as much anymore. I think a big part of that was the scare campaigns that were foisted on Generation X and the Millennials, who are now the parents:

"What if there is a hypodermic needle in your lollypop!!!??"
"If the wrapper is so much as crinkled, they probably put DRRRUGGGS in your chocolate!"

And then all the fear mongering that Gen X and the Millennials got about kidnappers sure didn't help either.

I love handing out candy, and I love trick or treating. I ADORE seeing little kids walking around in costumes.

I know a lot of churches now do "Trunk or Treat", and that's sorta fun and all, I guess, but trick or treating really is where it's at! For one night, kids get to be whomever they want to be, they learn to trust their neighbors, they get to go out with their friends after dark, and they get rewarded with candy for it!

In my day, we did a little bit of toilet-papering as well. I wonder if that will ever be a thing again?

It's kind of sad that kids don't go trick or treating as much anymore. I think a big part of that was the scare campaigns that were foisted on Generation X and the Millennials, who are now the parents:

"If the wrapper is so much as crinkled, they probably put DRRRUGGGS in your chocolate!"

And then all the fear mongering that Gen X and the Millennials got about kidnappers sure didn't help either.

I love handing out candy, and I love trick or treating. I ADORE seeing little kids walking around in costumes.

I know a lot of churches now do "Trunk or Treat", and that's sorta fun and all, I guess, but trick or treating really is where it's at! For one night, kids get to be whomever they want to be, they learn to trust their neighbors, they get to go out with their friends after dark, and they get rewarded with candy for it!

In my day, we did a little bit of toilet-papering as well. I wonder if that will ever be a thing again?

Or maybe the bible was right when it said knowledge will increase in Daniel meaning more people are learning about Yah's ways and returning to him and giving up thier pagan religion. JMO

I was a child in the early 70s living in Los Angeles. Part of the trick-o-treat rite was to go to the hospital and they would x-ray our candy and remove unwapped or other suspicious candy. It wasn't scary, just part of halloween.

I never even thought of it for my own son though.

New Threads

Top Bottom