• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reading comprehension

Do you guys have problems while reading a book like not understanding the sentences, reading them overand over again trying to understand, having a hard time concentrating?

Yes. But I didn't used to - reading comprehension was very, very strong and easy for me growing up. Then I burned out, and now I have the problem you are having. It was at its most severe when I was clinically depressed. Now I wonder if I have some kind of attention problem....

Reading comprehension is indeed a challenge for me since the fact I do have language based learning disability. For my childhood during the single digits age, I was way below reading level compare to children that was around my age. As I got older I slowly got better.

During my adult life, it still is a challenge for me as my vocabulary is lower than an average adult. Dictionary at times is a useless device for me as majority the time, there are additional words I don't understand for the definition.

Yes. I've actually done quite a bit of work in this area, and I've found that problems with reading are less about ASD and more about PTSD, which is so common among members of the autism community such as to be nearly ubiquitous, so it would be hard to distinguish.

As a kid, I would read a book a day. After my traumas, I can't get through the first paragraph. It's very frustrating, and sadly a problem that will probably never get better. They took reading from me. Those bastards :p

Sometimes, but generally always caused by tiredness or mind wondering and that is even if it is a damn good book :rolleyes:

My bug bear is questions. Often misread a question or, have to keep reading it, to grasp what it means, because how can one answer, if they cannot get the question?

i have terrible reading comprehension as i have intellectual disability [mild] ontop of moderate classic autism.
i have to use a e-dictionary constantly while browsing text online and i rarely read the few books i buy as i find them to hard.
ive always used easy read pictorial alternatives when i can get hold of them.

Yes, when I was assessed by an Ed Psych years ago my reading was massively behind my IQ which is very high. When I have to read official documents etc. for work, I tend to look for easy read versions as it makes my life so much easier.
Oddly, I love reading - especially fantasy and classics - but often miss bits or have to re-read bits over and over again. It's been much better using e-books as I can change the background/font which makes reading easier (although I love real books).

Yes. But I didn't used to - reading comprehension was very, very strong and easy for me growing up. Then I burned out, and now I have the problem you are having. It was at its most severe when I was clinically depressed. Now I wonder if I have some kind of attention problem....
Wow. Me too. I was a voracious reader as a child and into my early 20s but in the last few years i get distracted whilst reading and have to reread sentences and after reading a page if asked what i just read would struggle to tell you. But as I'm reading I'm understanding it...if I'm not distracted that is.

Yes. I've actually done quite a bit of work in this area, and I've found that problems with reading are less about ASD and more about PTSD, which is so common among members of the autism community such as to be nearly ubiquitous, so it would be hard to distinguish.

As a kid, I would read a book a day. After my traumas, I can't get through the first paragraph. It's very frustrating, and sadly a problem that will probably never get better. They took reading from me. Those bastards :p
Crap. That makes sense for me too.... gahd damn it! But i love reading .... :( now I'm depressed...and i have piles of unread books just waiting until i feel better....

Under 'normal circumstances' I read pretty well.

Under "unusual circumstances".....not well at all.
Last time one of my ear drums broke, reading was very
difficult for several weeks.

Example:

A B
C D

Normally I would read that at "A B," "C D."
During the time mentioned I read diagonally.
"A D," "C B."

Translate that to sentences, and it made for frustration.

Example:
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are

That becomes incoherent when viewed as:
"Twinkle you are"
"How star"
"Twinkle little"
"Wonder...I...what star"

Being tired affects my comprehension, but nothing has affected me
as much as the interlude following the last time an ear drum broke.

This would definitely make sense in my case, too! Thank you for sharing that info.
Wow. Me too. I was a voracious reader as a child and into my early 20s but in the last few years i get distracted whilst reading and have to reread sentences and after reading a page if asked what i just read would struggle to tell you. But as I'm reading I'm understanding it...if I'm not distracted that is.
I do this, too! I totally get it while I am reading it, but I can't explain or repeat it later, or at best very vaguely.

Yes. I have problems with translation, and sometimes with figuring out how they're meant to be strung together (e.g. what words like "it" refer back to).

New Threads

Top Bottom