• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reading about Greta Thurnberg

William Weiler

Ad Astra
I read how her parents saved her life and how they did it. I realized I had selective mutism as a kid, just like her. I noticed her lack of expression. I noticed how she seemed grounded in truth and difficult to dominate by the classic political bullies. Which I thought was really cool. I saw her in the Pearl Jam video and I cried. I guess because I saw myself. (Her acting is terrible, but because she is new at it). I saw people talking about that she is a young girl and is likely going on dates. It won't be that easy. Hopefully her parents or others who know are there. I think they are.

I read how her parents saved her life and how they did it. I realized I had selective mutism as a kid, just like her. I noticed her lack of expression. I noticed how she seemed grounded in truth and difficult to dominate by the classic political bullies. Which I thought was really cool. I saw her in the Pearl Jam video and I cried. I guess because I saw myself. (Her acting is terrible, but because she is new at it). I saw people talking about that she is a young girl and is likely going on dates. It won't be that easy. Hopefully her parents or others who know are there. I think they are.

She is pretty awesome... a real paradigm shifter!

I am always happy when I see someone on the spectrum having wonderful and caring parents. Mine were... um lets say... REALLY freaking messed up people (my dad was even a sociopath who conned women out of their money!).

I think what I could have accomplished if I had had caring parents. I will have to watch that Pearl Jam video and have a cry myself.:)

I doubt she goes on dates, lol... why bother?

She became depressed over her inability to fit in and make friends, and her feeling climate change was hopeless. Her parents agreed to recycle or commute on a bike or something. She said she felt if she could change her parents, she could change others. Here parents said later they weren't really that concerned about global warming, they just did it to help her. These are the parenting masters.

BTW I still want to go on dates. I was married but my ex couldn't do a real relationship after the romantic love faded. The longest I have had a girlfriend is 3yrs, although I must have had quite a few (not going to count). I have always had a best friend.

Greta has been an huge inspiration to me. First as a warrior in the fight against climate change. And her openness about ASD, and to dare to call it something positive, led me to explore ASD, join other aspies here and IRL, and to for the first time to be open about my long ago self diagnosis of ASD.

She got so depressed over climate change that she was refusing to eat. Her parents became desperate to save her and helped her come up with sitting in front of the Swedish Parliament building every Friday holding a "school strike for climate" sign. They also agreed to stop eating meat, also to help their daughter's depression, since veganism is a big part of the climate movement. At first they really didn't care about global warming per se, they just wanted to save their daughter's life. They were as shocked as everybody else as to what happened next.

She's an inspiration for me. I don't get why some people hate her, to be honest. Her intentions are good.

I don't think the hate her. They hate change. If you put a turnip on reddit and say it thinks we should act on climate change. Someone will post the turnip doesn't know what it is talking about.

Since the time she had made her speech at the UN meeting in September 2019, I had immediately started work on my YouTube blog from my channel called "Aspie With Attitude". Since now it's all gone quiet, I am glad that I had still kept a record on my thoughts at the time when she first appeared in the mainstream media since by 2024, most people would then had forgotten about Greta Thunburg.

This is so far about 12 months on.

There is the fame bubble to be sure. Most people are now onto the next sensation. Kind of like I saying this is the shallow kind of mainstream fame. But there is much more real, smaller fame that persists. I follow her on so many sites.

She and I are both on the spectrum with OCD traits. I remember observing her once without knowing her background and thinking, "Wow, her mannerisms are like mine: not very expressive, very serious." I wasn't surprised at all when I found out we had the same diagnoses. The intensity of my interests are geared more toward theology than climate change, but phenotypically I can see how she and I are similar.

She's an inspiration for me. I don't get why some people hate her, to be honest. Her intentions are good.

I think she's a fraud in the same way that Mother Theresa was a fraud. Her trip across the Atlantic was a contrived publicity stunt that actually caused more pollution than if she had just got in a damn plane. And I can't stand the way she just uses shaming tactics to get people to agree with here. There's genuine scientific disagreement to the degree of which carbon is affecting the worlds climate.

New Threads

Top Bottom