• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Re-reading the same things daily

Lately, I have come across a few short articles I like and now I have been re-reading the same articles every night. This has only just started. Do you think it's a nervous habit? I've been pretty stressed recently.
I read articles from the past as a coping mechanism I like to avoid conflict it's very hard to try to discuss something when you have no idea about the rules

I don't think it is an autistic trait and more of a stim that most people do to some extent or the other.

I have a lot of BBC television shows and movies on DVD that I repeatedly watch at night because it helps me fall asleep. By 9 pm, I will likely doze off during the first 5 minutes of an episode. And watch the same show the very next night and fall asleep again. NT children love to have the same bedtime story read to them repeatedly, no matter how many times they have heard it. Thereby driving their parents insane. :rolleyes:

NT children love to have the same bedtime story read to them repeatedly, no matter how many times they have heard it. Thereby driving their parents insane. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
That's where neurodiverse and neuro typical children change direction the neuro typical brain will now remap to gain knowledge from the emotions the neurodiverse brain will remap to gain knowledge from the intellect it isn't something neurotypicals will ever do they are just neurologically different neuro typical children are like neurodiverse people because they haven't remapped their brain yet , if you think you are neuro typical and you are still doing this you are probably actually neurodiverse you don't have to be autistic to be neurodiverse.

I do it as an ocd/stim sort of thing. I always re-read nearly every single forum post I write (at least a few times). Due to how high my social anxiety is, I tend to edit a lot of them or not even post a few. When I read through something normally, due to my hypervigilance, I see everything all at once and then I go back and re-read bits of things to go over it again because I'm still not used to being able to read really fast.

If I find an article I really like, I will re-read it around 8-10 times in one sitting especially if it's about one of my special interests. I will watch parts or all of a Youtube video I find if I really like it. I've re-read over 40 books, some multiple times (even if they're over 500 pages long). I can see a movie again over ten times if I'm that interested in it.

When something comforts you and you have the time, you can of course go back and look at it as many times as you want. Feel free to do as you want.

NT children love to have the same bedtime story read to them repeatedly, no matter how many times they have heard it. Thereby driving their parents insane. :rolleyes:

That's where neurodiverse and neuro typical children change direction the neuro typical brain will now remap to gain knowledge from the emotions the neurodiverse brain will remap to gain knowledge from the intellect it isn't something neurotypicals will ever do they are just neurologically different neuro typical children are like neurodiverse people because they haven't remapped their brain yet , if you think you are neuro typical and you are still doing this you are probably actually neurodiverse you don't have to be autistic to be neurodiverse.

@Streetwise - With all due respect that is unsupported by anything remotely scientific. I've never understood the source of your alleged insight into the NT brain. Where do you get your information?

To soothe myself, yes, repetitious listening of the same music. After high school, it dawned on me how long l could just wear the same stuff over and over and be happy. Cute sweater,jeans, and those clogs.

Sure NT kids love the same bedtime story but at some point they grow out of this. My munchkin brain never quite leaves that and happily l can do the repetitious and entertain myself repeatedly thru the day. Looking for patterns is also soothing. In times of stress it helps. But to constanly rewrite usually l don't like, because it's like l need to unload feelings and clear my mental desk so that l don't get emotionally constipated.

Lately, I have come across a few short articles I like and now I have been re-reading the same articles every night. This has only just started. Do you think it's a nervous habit? I've been pretty stressed recently.

You're savoring some articles & stories, reading critically, and extracting all the meaning from them. If this is a "nervous habit" then all academics are just bundles of neuroses.

I just sat down the other night & read Mutiny on the Bounty cover to cover, and the day before I had devoured the life of G.K. Chesterton by Maisie Ward. These were good books & will get read again & again. And the same goes for Jane Eyre and many, many other great works.

New Threads

Top Bottom