• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rant about cosmetics

BraidedPony

Enjoying life and glad to be alive!
V.I.P Member
I decided to start wearing makeup again and trying to order it online. Why can’t they name the colors in a way that makes sense? Foundations are either cool, warm or neutral...but do they say that in the name? NO, of course not. Is soft ivory lighter or cooler or warmer than natural ivory? Is pinched pink blush darker than soft rose?
For crying out loud.
So irritating.
Anyway, thank you for letting me rant.

I agree it would be nice if they had some sort of standard, like paint RAL numbers. Especially in these days of buying online, the color choice is only as good as your screen. Unfortunately it's probably a marketing thing, as well as being easier for manufacturers not having a standard to hold themselves to.

I have just a few make up items I use.
Mainly powder or liquid foundation.
What gets me is I find a good match for my skin and then they discontinue it.
Then it's back to trying to find what colour can take it's place and match.
Frustrating.

Why don't they just show the colours, rather than trying to describe them? I don't wear makeup, but I would find it difficult if I couldn't see the colour. It's the same with things like paint colours - yes, it makes sense if it refers to a thing with a very specific colour, but words like 'soft' are very vague.

I was shopping for this stuff on Amazon and don’t trust that the pic is always accurate. I could go to the brand website and do research then go back and order from Amazon if I want. Yea, that is what I will do....
I like how they number hair color. Companies use the same standard, so an ash blonde is an 8A, A being for ash. G for golden and R for reds. Then the higher the number, the lighter the color.
Anyway, I guess I was upset last night because I was thinking that all women just know what shade foundation to buy along with ability to read facial expressions! Lol And I’m just this weirdo that doesn’t “get it” and never will.

I feel like we could all just rant about the world not making sense. Or neurotypicals, for that matter. Although my brother is pretty logical.

I find finding a foundation shade hard and choose to get it in a store rather than online,I sometimes find the names confusing and because I’m also fair with a olive undertone it’s difficult to find the right shade,I fall into the neutral category and many foundations I have seen don’t indicate what undertone it is but I have noticed that they are starting to get better with shades and including more neutral shades which are hard to find,also an ivory foundation can vary from each brand and some are either really pink or even yellow based.

Last edited:
See, the Ivory thing, it drives me crazy! I think Ivory should be yellow/warm but often it isn’t. I found a cool tone Ivory and it’s in my Amazon cart right now.
Going in person to the store would be best BUT, I get so nervous away from home my thinking gets muddled and I end up buying something completely wrong or just a bunch of candy then rush home!

See, the Ivory thing, it drives me crazy! I think Ivory should be yellow/warm but often it isn’t. I found a cool tone Ivory and it’s in my Amazon cart right now.
Going in person to the store would be best BUT, I get so nervous away from home my thinking gets muddled and I end up buying something completely wrong or just a bunch of candy then rush home!
Yeah ivory isn’t always ivory sometimes,plus being neutral meaning I don’t lean too pink or too yellow I struggle with either looking orange or way too pale,Revlon had a good ivory foundation once but they also are one of the very few brands that have a near perfect match for me which is the shade buff which is neutral.

I just started using an old Neutrogena powder foundation I found in a drawer in Buff. It is way to dark and warm, once it’s on, it’s OK, sort of.
I just ordered the Natural Ivory that is a neutral. I figure with a neutral I can’t be too far off!
I’m glad you found a foundation you like! Buy some extra in case they discontinue it!

I will rant that Barbie needs to have healthier thighs, blemishes on her face,hair root discoloration. Then we wouldn't need makeup, and the corporate makeup world would just sink like the Titanic. But l never criticized my daughter, and she skips makeup, so l am happy.

New Threads

Top Bottom