• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Race Car Technology

I want to die still owning an internal combustion vehicle.
There's a chance that you'll be able to buy brand new ICE cars again in the future. At least I've got my fingers crossed for it because I'm not all that dissimilar to you. Just the fuel is changing - Ammonia.

Much cheaper to produce than petrol and much higher octane. Serious worries about the efficiency of the catalytic converters though, if untreated the exhaust fumes can be dangerous.

How do you feel about the 2000hp burnout machines lol, they crack me up
They never interested me all that much. In some ways it reminds me of being 16 years old and using my Mum's Kingswood to do circle work in wet grass paddocks, but to us it was all about the sensation of the slide. No screaming tyres, no smoke.

They never interested me all that much. In some ways it reminds me of being 16 years old and using my Mum's Kingswood to do circle work in wet grass paddocks, but to us it was all about the sensation of the slide. No screaming tyres, no smoke.

They can be fun if you put 1000-2000 horsepower into a sleeper car and scare people with it. :D A friend of mine has an old Volvo station wagon that he put a monster engine into. It looks like a car a dad would drive his kids to school in. Nothing special about it. But when he floors it, it makes the earth spin faster and birds fall out of the sky. :oncomingcar: And it's a station wagon, no one is prepared for that.

I have to admit they make me smile just a little for that reason lol. Apart from that I really do not see the attraction, you have very extremely strict laws about modified vehicles right? I can't imagine building cars like that to only do burnouts. Do they use them for drag racing also?

They want to implement the 'shut down' button with the new cars or something like that, i really don't like that all cars now have too much electronics, they could spy on your location too.
This is a serious issue in remote areas in Australia, not the spying aspect of it but the reliability of some of this electronic tat. While living a a moderately remote area I had two different cars do the same thing to me - the car decided that it no longer recognised the ignition key, decided that it was stolen, and shut down.

There's nothing you can do about that situation stuck on the side of the road. In the last decade there's been a few deaths caused by problems like that. One was a young geological surveyor, his brand new Toyota Landcruiser just shut down and refused to move. He was well equipped and had 20 litres of drinking water with him but it was 2 weeks and too late before anyone found him.

Another was a family of 4 that got a flat tyre in their Mercedes, when they went to put the spare tyre on that was also flat. Normally in that situation you'd just drive on a flat tyre until you reach civilisation, but the Mercedes refused to drive on a flat tyre.

There was nothing mechanically wrong with any of the vehicles mentioned above but those Nanny State electronics are dangerous.

I have to admit they make me smile just a little for that reason lol. Apart from that I really do not see the attraction, you have very extremely strict laws about modified vehicles right? I can't imagine building cars like that to only do burnouts. Do they use them for drag racing also?

Who doesn't like a good burnout :) I love the smell of a burnout in the morning.

I can't imagine building cars like that to only do burnouts. Do they use them for drag racing also?
They're pretty much single purpose cars and most would never pass regulations for any sort of racing, not even on a drag strip. It's more for just showing off huge home built horse power.

And our utes are from a different mentality from the US. They are very deliberately "pickup Cars", not trucks. Since Australian manufacturers closed down we have to buy them from Japan and China now, the oversized contraptions sold from the US are just too big and bulky, drink too much fuel, and are too tall to be very practical to use as an every day work ute.

0002306_duratray-deluxe-alloy-tray-with-trade-racks-ba-falcon-ute.png

Last edited:
This is a serious issue in remote areas in Australia, not the spying aspect of it but the reliability of some of this electronic tat. While living a a moderately remote area I had two different cars do the same thing to me - the car decided that it no longer recognised the ignition key, decided that it was stolen, and shut down.

There's nothing you can do about that situation stuck on the side of the road. In the last decade there's been a few deaths caused by problems like that. One was a young geological surveyor, his brand new Toyota Landcruiser just shut down and refused to move. He was well equipped and had 20 litres of drinking water with him but it was 2 weeks and too late before anyone found him.

Another was a family of 4 that got a flat tyre in their Mercedes, when they went to put the spare tyre on that was also flat. Normally in that situation you'd just drive on a flat tyre until you reach civilisation, but the Mercedes refused to drive on a flat tyre.

There was nothing mechanically wrong with any of the vehicles mentioned above but those Nanny State electronics are dangerous.

Speaking of something like that, we were traveling to my country capital like 180 km, when with fog, a car suddenly braked in a bridge because an oncoming truck, my dad braked just in time, and then a bad driver came from behind and crashed on us, and our car crashed on the car on the front, my dad traveled to the capital with the broken car, one of the wheels was touching the chasis and was damaged and making noises but that didn't stop him. We traveled with the people in the car in front of us that was damaged only in the back.

...my dad traveled to the capital with the broken car, one of the wheels was touching the chasis and was damaged and making noises but that didn't stop him.
Many cars won't let you do that these days. That might be fine in densely populated countries where there's another small town every 50 kilomtres or so, but that's not the case for a large portion of my country.

Very few things receive the amount of disgust from me as much as those big dumb pick up trucks do.

Can't wait until the HSV UTE's from the same era as the 04-06 GTO are legal to import.

Last edited:
Can't wait until the HSV UTE's from the same era as the 04-06 GTO are legal to import.
That always amazed me. Although they were designed and manufactured in Australia for Australia both Ford and Holden (GM) are US companies, but they never even tried to market utes in the US. From what I've seen in a lot of reaction videos they could have been popular there.

That always amazed me. Although they were designed and manufactured in Australia for Australia both Ford and Holden (GM) are US companies, but they never even tried to market utes in the US. From what I've seen in a lot of reaction videos they could have been popular there.

The El Camino, and Ranchero are extremely popular today. I have no idea if they were popular when they came out, but they kept making them for quite some time so I bet they would have

The El Camino, and Ranchero are extremely popular today. I have no idea if they were popular when they came out, but they kept making them for quite some time so I bet they would have
I just had to look those up, but yes, they're not trucks, they're utes. - Utility vehicles.

In Australia we basically only had 3 manufacturers, Ford, Holden and Valiant. Ford and Holden were the main rivals, there was a bit of a racist thing going on with Valiants and you could only drive one if you were of Mediteranean descent, we called them Wog Chariots.

The Holdens were from General Motors but they were made with some collaboration with Chevrolet because Chevvy V8s dropped straight in to them with no modification. The splines matched and the engine mounts were in the same position, everything.

Valiant was actually Chrysler, here eventually they were bought out by Mitsubishi. Here they made Chargers, but they were different to the US Dodge Charger, smaller with better suspension and running gear.

And our utes are from a different mentality from the US. They are very deliberately "pickup Cars", not trucks. Since Australian manufacturers closed down we have to buy them from Japan and China now, the oversized contraptions sold from the US are just too big and bulky, drink too much fuel, and are too tall to be very practical to use as an every day work ute.
In the 70s those "utes" were quite popular in the US. Coinciding with the oil embargo making those large, gas-thirsty pickups undesirable. Breaks my heart to recall how much I wanted one of those smaller pickups, but by the time I could afford one their popularity had already receded from the market. With myself refocusing on classic, but affordable sports cars.

I see Hyundai is trying to make a comeback of sorts of such vehicles, but I think I've only seen one here. I just wish Toyota would introduce something similar into the market. I loved their 70's "utes".

Last edited:
They're pretty much single purpose cars and most would never pass regulations for any sort of racing, not even on a drag strip. It's more for just showing off huge home built horse power.

View attachment 127944

This is from Australia :koala: They are racing a Ute up a quarry. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom