• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Race Car Technology

400s are garbage.
They were intended to be a smooth shifting unit in a luxury car.

The rotating mass is a disadvantage too.
Chevrolet transmissions all have the same bolt patterns, being the early 4 cylinders, straight sixes thru the V-8s including the latest LS series of engines

Apparently it was that rear cross member all along. :)
No, it was a really crappy weld job from the factory.
Proper protocol prevents me from saying it like it really is.

What we did was grind out all of the crappy welds and then do them properly.

In fact, the chassis was surprisingly rust free going in, but had poor welds.

Chevrolet transmissions all have the same bolt patterns, being the early 4 cylinders, straight sixes thru the V-8s including the latest LS series of engines
I never knew a lot about them. I always had trouble trusting automatics. They're more practical in some situations but I just prefer manuals.

What we did was grind out all of the crappy welds and then do them properly.
That doesn't sound like a little job. It's a shame when you find out the the materials are good quality but the workmanship was poor.

I never knew a lot about them. I always had trouble trusting automatics. They're more practical in some situations but I just prefer manulas.
They break too easy when you start pounding on them.

You can't outshift an automatic either.

There is never any shock loads on an auto. either.

I have a buddy that runs a '62 Chevy 409 bubbletop in nostalgia class with a Lenco manual.
He breaks stuff all the time and he is using a hardcore racing tranny.

I have a buddy that runs a '62 Chevy 409 bubbletop in nostalgia class with a Lenco manual.
But he does run low 11s too

Like this one?

5f3269e79628ebda4ad0581f645cc180.jpg

It's funny how the style changed so quickly back then, I definitely prefer the late 60s and 70s looks.

GM had a strike in '71.
When the union workers went on strike, skeleton crews were assembled out of salaried workers to keep the builds going.
In order to do so, they farmed out a lot of work that was generally done in house.
As a result of that, the '72 rides that were supposed to look like the '73s were just '71s with different trim.

In the end, the union brought about a change that did a lot of their workers out of jobs.

About that same time, management realized that they could stick with a style for a prolonged time as well, so innovation went down the tubes with it.

When we were at the nationals, we had full support from Datsun.

If you needed a part, all you had to do was ask for it.
Datsun....SCCA....John Morton.

I may have asked you this before. You ever see or meet him ? Just wondering. One of the greats...

About that same time, management realized that they could stick with a style for a prolonged time as well, so innovation went down the tubes with it.
These days I have no idea what make a car is until I see it's badge. They all look so similar.

These days I have no idea what make a car is until I see it's badge. They all look so similar.

I think they are running out of design options. They have to constantly come up with something new, but everything good has been done already.

I think they are running out of design options. They have to constantly come up with something new, but everything good has been done already.
A lot of it is covered by safety legislation, and by simple aerodynamics for fuel efficiency too. I guess I was a bit spoiled, growing up when I did. It was an era.

New Threads

Top Bottom