• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick question: Handwriting

I had to look up what the stereotype was since I didn't know. The most interesting thing I found was that it was indicative of fine motor control and nothing more:

I can generally read my handwriting if I stare at it long enough. While at the conference last weekend, I stood up to ask a question and, when I went to read what I had written (because I knew I would go instantly blank, which I did) I couldn't make out what I had written. So I just fessed up, "wow, well I guess I can't read my own writing!" At which everyone laughed and it bought me enough time to wing it.

I have impeccably neat whiteboard handwriting that can be read at a distance. It always brings compliments. So I am thinking that you really cannot guage anything by how well a person either does or does not write.

The first years (until I was eleven or twelve I think) I had a very neat handwriting without trying very hard. Then I changed it because I found it too little-girly. It became bold and at some point even elegant, also without trying too hard.
Now it's mostl horrible because of lack of practice (now I type) and also because I use handwriting mostly to take notes, which means writing way faster than I used to, or would if I really wanted to write something like a letter.
But mostly is lack of practice.
So no, don't think your handwritng may be related to being or not autistic.

BTW: Like handwriting, my typing is also horrible because I try to be faster than I should. Had o edit this post several times to fix all the typos.

As with everything else from my childhood my handwriting etc.... Was a complete disaster and have been pretty much my entire life. I have however managed to regain some control of it later years as with many other things as well thru practice practice practice :cool:

Another one with bad handwriting here. In school, I used to use a fountain pen and write slowly/carefully to try to improve it. The only thing I achieved through this was getting ink all over my hands and smudged on the page because I'd move my hand/arm across it before it had dried.

I could never do cursive writing. They tried to get me to do it in primary school, but this was one of the things I just wouldn't do and eventually the teacher gave up trying and left me to write as I pleased.

Hey! Hello!

I can give you some advice, if you'd take it.

Your handwriting is like your fingerprint!

It is unique to u!

Working on how it looks, is penmanship.

If your penmanship is poor, it is related your level of skill.

Think about it in terms of drawing.

Every stickman you draw, is unique, you just don't know it.

Remember, writing and drawing is like DNA.

Ok so if you're good at handwriting you have aptitude.

Some people have certain aptitudes for certain skills.

Like, water has an aptitude for putting out fire, because its water.

I hope I helped.

In school, I was skipped over the grade where cursive was taught, so I did a bad job of catching up. My AS mother always printed, and I soon reverted to it myself. However, I'm also into simple calligraphy, and can paint a very legible sign quickly. I can print very small, and do fine detail on drawings. I own a great many types of pens.
Before learning to type, I thoroughly investigated making a chord keyboard, but finally settled on Dvorak. Writing is easy, you just sit down, and write what occurs to you. It's the occurring that's hard and slow, it turns out.

New Threads

Top Bottom