• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions for those who have ASD1/A "mild" form of autism

But yeah, from what I've seen so far, coding seems to be the closest to an ideal/realistic career for me...? I'm always on the computer lol, and I very, very casually dabbled in HTML/CSS ever since late elementary school and don't get burnt out by long typing haha. I guess I'm just more concerned about the workload, the job interviews *shudders*, the possible work mistreatment (ex. payment, ethical, etc.)

I got out of nearly 20 years of insurance underwriting and went back to vocational school to learn web design. (I had been making websites for years just as a hobby.) Took awhile to get a job, but I finally landed one in Silicon Valley that paid more at the entry level than a position of seniority in insurance. The interview? I hardly said anything. The whole time the person interviewing me was more focused on my online portfolio. Making my social interactions in a formal interview practically a moot point. (Thank God, I'm terrible at job interviews.)

The difference was a real thrill. Unlike insurance, it wasn't much of a social job. The majority of it depended on my creativity and mine alone. I did have to meet and interact with computer game producers to get a feel for the product as I would build the website that advertised it. But I rarely had anyone interfere with my job.

From the perspective of autism, I found web design delightful compared to the dull and negative aspect of insurance. I still recall a moment when I stopped working, just to see if anyone was watching me. But then it hit me like a brick, that this enjoyable task of building a metaphorical website was my freaking job! :cool:

I go to church, too:) It seems to be the only environment where people look at me with a trusting and positive attitude. Usually in the world people think I seem aloof, snobby, basically every negative thing - without even getting to know me. But I have been welcomed at church. But my community happens to be filled with an inordinate number of quirksters, including people on the spectrum. That's probably what helps!

You know... when I first went to my small group at my current church, after months of getting to know each other and being comfortable, one of them told me that their first impression of me was that I was snobby because I didn't make eye contact :cry: Sigh, I'm pretty sure it's from my ASD... but at the same time, I used to have a way more negative view of the church because of having bad experiences from people around my age at past churches and being jaded about the (in my opinion) ridiculous religious/political/social justice viewpoints of my older Christian relatives (I still kind of feel that way, to be honest haha). So, you know... with that past I came into my current church very closed off and wary of other Christians who might hurt me again.

But I'm honestly really glad that you find ease going to your current church and you find it a place where it's trusting and positive! Like you, I feel really accepted at my church, for once. I'm surprised at how many quirksters there are at my church too, how a lot of the people around my age are into geeky things, board games, anime, kpop... Like I can actually talk to these people inside my church, hang out with them outside of church, and not feel weird and awkward about it at all! I'm glad you found people on the spectrum who attend your church. I don't think I've come across a person on the spectrum at my church yet.

Oh really?? Even as someone who has ASD1/Mild autism??? (with anxiety, depression, and possible ocd that I need to look into to be honest...) Even if I don't meet the stricter requirements, if there's even a little bit of help that I can get and I qualify for it then that sounds great to me!

Yes.

To qualify for employment supports, you must:
● be at least 16 years old
● be an Ontario resident
● be legally allowed to work in Canada
● have a substantial physical or mental disability that is expected to last a year or more, and makes it hard for you to find or keep a job.

Now I really don't like the wording "mental disability" but ASD is classified as a cognitive / mental disability generally speaking, and let's recall that in DSM5, 299.00 (Autism Spectrum Disorder)...

ASD1 = "requiring support"
ASD2 = "requiring substantial support"
ASD3 = "requiring very substantial support"

So yes, you should not have any difficulties accessing the ODSP employment supports.

Visit Ontario Disability Support Program: Who to contact for more information to find your local office for more information.

And yes, this helped so much! Thank you!

You're welcome. Always glad to be of assistance.

I live and work in the USA, and have been continuously employed for almost 35 years. However, throughout my career I have felt restless and unfulfilled. I am now 62, will be 63 in September. I was not diagnosed until last year. Because I have been employed with the same company for 12 years and have consistently performed at a high level, I disclosed my diagnosis to my boss. I have not suffered any ill effects from this disclosure, but I have not asked for any form of disability support. So I am not able to respond to some of your questions.

I recently had a similar discussion with a 50 year old friend who works at my company. Like me he feels restless and unfulfilled. He is very intelligent but received no parental career guidance. In his words he is just a “cog in a machine”. I explained that we are all cogs in machines, and that does not make us failures. He is married and has two ASD1 teen aged sons. Without his unfulfilling job he could lose his wife and kids and become homeless. I advised my friend to provide his sons with the guidance he did not receive, and to be the best performing “cog in a machine” that he can be. It comes down to how you choose to view yourself, as a success or failure.

My friend suffers from anxiety and depression, and is undoubtedly on the spectrum. I cope with these issues via two different antidepressants, one taken in the morning snd one taken at night. I have also gone through cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness classes, neither of which were very helpful.

If you see yourself achieving future success in computer programming, then go for it. Be the best programmer you can be. I hope some of these comments are helpful, and I wish you the best of luck.

It's okay if you're not able to respond to some of my questions!
I'm really glad you didn't suffer any ill effects from your disclosure. I guess I've also been trying to avoid that restless and unfulfilled feeling...

"It comes down to how you choose to view yourself, as a success or failure."
Very, very true. I try to view myself as a success in progress, but more often than not I see myself as the latter instead and once I get myself in that kind of mindset, it's very hard for me to get out. My mental health was so bad earlier on this week that for once, I logged off all my social media 'cause I was so tired of seeing NTs post stuff and live their lives as if there's nothing wrong with them and moving forward having kids, getting married, having a great career, etc.

And I understand where your friend is coming from. I received little to no parental career guidance (actually little emotional support too, now that I think about it). I don't even think my parents bother learning about autism anymore ever since I became more "normal" or showed more signs of being "normal" in high school. They would vote conservative (Ford) if it meant keeping up to date with their conservative Christian values, even though Ford cut off funding for autism (if I remember correctly). I guess my parents are more family support people rather than career people--not a bad thing, but it can be (in my case) in terms of overprotectiveness, which can hinder someone's personal growth.

Half of my life, my mom hasn't been working ever since she got laid off back in 2010. Back in the Philippines, my dad dropped out of engineering school (if I remember correctly) and had bad habits such as gambling during chess games and smoking like 2 packs a day. So I guess I didn't really have parents to look up to career wise. Right now though, my dad is the current breadwinner of our family, a.k.a. the only one who knows how to drive and is earning money. He's turning 69 soon, and his current job has taken a toll on his sleeping schedule and physical health... In fact, I'm really worried about him because lately I feel like he's lost a lot more weight. He wants to retire (as he rightfully should), I don't have as much monetary support from my mom since, like I said, she hasn't worked since like 2010. I might surprisingly even have more money than her thanks to the little I saved up from previous jobs and government tax. But like your friend, if it weren't for my dad, we wouldn't be here right now...

And so that's why I'm posting this, because I want and need to move forward despite my ASD1/Anxiety/Depression/Possible OCD. I'm turning 28 next month and I'm not getting any younger. I'm tired of being aimless, purposeless in life and not doing enough to help others around me. I'm tired of feeling useless and thinking that I'm useless. My parents are getting older too and one day, they will be gone and I will have support myself and live more independently. I may have other family/friend/church support, but I'm an only child too.

Which antidepressants do you take (if you don't mind me asking)? The one I took last year (zoloft) didn't turn out great for me, and since my depression is probably a mild case, I'm holding off on medication for now... CBT and meditation/mindfulness are probably some of the available options for me at this point... The group CBT, not for me. I'll probably have to do some self study like getting a workbook since it's a really affordable option for me. Meditation/Mindfulness I find intriguing, but I just don't have it in my right now to relax and shut my brain off haha.

Yeah thank you so much! These comments were helpful. Sorry if my reply got too long/ranty.

It's tough as well that so many states have extremely limited programs for autistic adults. As if we turn a magic age in which it is no longer an issue. (WTH) Even my state of Nevada (as do others) seem to view autism only as a children's issue. With proper resources geared accordingly.

In my own case both therapy and having pills thrown in my direction didn't do anything positive for me in the long run. Though I was never diagnosed for autism either, as at the time it was barely on the radar of many medical professionals.

On occasion if a stranger negatively remarks on how I handle a social situation, I sometimes just glare at them and say, "Autistic children grow up to be autistic adults". I didn't even begin to suspect my own neurology until the age of 55, and quite by accident.

In essence there are so many of us unaccounted for in the ASD1 category, but for the most part it's like being in "no man's land" medically speaking. Because we don't "look autistic" or act accordingly that we must not be autistic at all. Often making it a lifelong uphill battle just to tell the truth of who- and what we are. :(

YES. EXACTLY, I AGREE! From what I've seen so far, it's like that in Canada too! That suddenly, all/most of the support for autistic adults is suddenly cut off after 18!! Which ruins the whole point and is just so detrimental to autistic adults (especially non-verbal ones/ones who need more support)! I still can't believe autism is only seen as a children's issue, when it affects so many things in an autistic person's lifestyle that NTs probably don't even have to think as hard about--independence, job/career, housing (caregiver, if they need more support), etc.

Honestly I think it's like that here too in Canada--more so the pills than the therapy. Actually from my experience, and obviously I can't speak for everyone, but at times I wish pills aren't thrown as the first option to others as easily... I think that if possible--especially if it's a mild case, pills should be the last option. Also from where I live, there's a directory of therapists who specialize/are knowledgeable about certain areas including ASD... BUT. It tends to be private, and they charge like $150+ a session... which ruins the whole point of an autistic adult seeking help in the first place since, more often than not, they have obstacles with employment. Unless they have family members, caregivers, etc. who are very well off and can afford these sessions, how is an autistic adult realistically supposed to afford all that?!

"Autistic children grow up to be autistic adults" YES. EXACTLY!! I'm probably gonna start saying that too if it comes to it ahaha

"In essence there are so many of us unaccounted for in the ASD1 category, but for the most part it's like being in "no man's land" medically speaking. Because we don't "look autistic" or act accordingly that we must not be autistic at all. Often making it a lifelong uphill battle just to tell the truth of who- and what we are. :("

^ Yes I wholeheartedly agree... It's very frustrating! Every autistic person is different and is not just one stereotype of what they've seen (usually the non-verbal kind). Also your issues and concerns are more likely to not get taken seriously either... sigh

But yeah, from what I've seen so far, coding seems to be the closest to an ideal/realistic career for me...? I'm always on the computer lol, and I very, very casually dabbled in HTML/CSS ever since late elementary school and don't get burnt out by long typing haha. I guess I'm just more concerned about the workload, the job interviews *shudders*, the possible work mistreatment (ex. payment, ethical, etc.)

Website tech support or QA might be nice too. Not sure how those things are popular tho.

I'm really glad you didn't suffer any ill effects from your disclosure. I guess I've also been trying to avoid that restless and unfulfilled feeling...

Very, very true. I try to view myself as a success in progress, but more often than not I see myself as the latter instead and once I get myself in that kind of mindset, it's very hard for me to get out. My mental health was so bad earlier on this week that for once, I logged off all my social media 'cause I was so tired of seeing NTs post stuff and live their lives as if there's nothing wrong with them and moving forward having kids, getting married, having a great career, etc.

And I understand where your friend is coming from. I received little to no parental career guidance (actually little emotional support too, now that I think about it). I don't even think my parents bother learning about autism anymore ever since I became more "normal" or showed more signs of being "normal" in high school. They would vote conservative (Ford) if it meant keeping up to date with their conservative Christian values, even though Ford cut off funding for autism (if I remember correctly). I guess my parents are more family support people rather than career people--not a bad thing, but it can be (in my case) in terms of overprotectiveness, which can hinder someone's personal growth.

Half of my life, my mom hasn't been working ever since she got laid off back in 2010. Back in the Philippines, my dad dropped out of engineering school (if I remember correctly) and had bad habits such as gambling during chess games and smoking like 2 packs a day. So I guess I didn't really have parents to look up to career wise. Right now though, my dad is the current breadwinner of our family, a.k.a. the only one who knows how to drive and is earning money. He's turning 69 soon, and his current job has taken a toll on his sleeping schedule and physical health... In fact, I'm really worried about him because lately I feel like he's lost a lot more weight. He wants to retire (as he rightfully should), I don't have as much monetary support from my mom since, like I said, she hasn't worked since like 2010. I might surprisingly even have more money than her thanks to the little I saved up from previous jobs and government tax. But like your friend, if it weren't for my dad, we wouldn't be here right now...

And so that's why I'm posting this, because I want and need to move forward despite my ASD1/Anxiety/Depression/Possible OCD. I'm turning 28 next month and I'm not getting any younger. I'm tired of being aimless, purposeless in life and not doing enough to help others around me. I'm tired of feeling useless and thinking that I'm useless. My parents are getting older too and one day, they will be gone and I will have support myself and live more independently. I may have other family/friend/church support, but I'm an only child too.

Which antidepressants do you take (if you don't mind me asking)? The one I took last year (zoloft) didn't turn out great for me, and since my depression is probably a mild case, I'm holding off on medication for now... CBT and meditation/mindfulness are probably some of the available options for me at this point... The group CBT, not for me. I'll probably have to do some self study like getting a workbook since it's a really affordable option for me. Meditation/Mindfulness I find intriguing, but I just don't have it in my right now to relax and shut my brain off haha.

Yeah thank you so much! These comments were helpful. Sorry if my reply got too long/ranty.

I think you are actually facing reality, and realize that you need to make some changes. The antidepressant I take in the morning is Escitalopram (10 mg) for general anxiety, and I have had no adverse reactions at all. To help me sleep I take Doxepin (25 mg) with 10 mg melatonin one hour before going to sleep. In my opinion these are very safe.

I think you should commit to making positive changes, and realize that you will have some bumps along the way. I have had times when I thought my job performance was mediocre, only to be praised a few days later by my boss for working through job issues. We are our own worst critics. Try to keep that in mind as you work through issues. And don’t be afraid to pursue a career in computer science. If you are good you can overcome a spotty work record. So stay positive and commit to making positive changes.

I think you sound like you are at a better jumping off point than I was, and that should really help! I think the fact that you know you are on the spectrum, that would have helped me a lot. I think learning and noticing as much as you can about how your mind and body work, staying as healthy as you can with sleep, food, and social network, then making the best of it at work socially (again, through social skills), limiting stressors as you can, and doing everything possible to detect and avoid/prevent burnout would enable you to maintain a career. Avoid burnout at all costs - it can hurt your health and you won't necessarily bounce back - that is what I have found out the hard way. Do all the stims and integration and relaxation that you need, that's my advice.

I once had a job with HTML coding - I actually enjoyed it. There were some ergonomic concerns for doing that long-term for me - I have always had some difficulty being at a computer too long everyday. But the work itself, I liked it. And I was good at it, but the problem I ran into was - well, for one thing, social things - I rubbed people the wrong way, and this was before I realized I was an Aspie, so I had fewer tools and less awareness - but also, I couldn't understand what they expected of me always - or couldn't accept it? When I saw crappy code, it was so easy for me to just fix it when it landed on desk. But they had this system where sections of code where being circulated amongst a large team, and we were each only fixing one or two specific things, and leaving all of the other mistakes - those other mistakes would be fixed in another round. I think I would sometimes spend too much time fixing other mistakes - I didn't take a long time, but I wasn't as fast as some others. But the major thing slowing me down was probably auditory processing issues. In short, the very quiet sound of dozens of computers in one room - which didn't bother anyone else, literally hurt my ears. So did the endless socializing that was happening at some point in that large room between other workers. So I would try to listen to music or podcasts with ear buds or headphones while working. But I found that no matter how quietly I would play the music - I mean I could barely hear it, the pain in my ears would get worse. As for the podcasts, I think I was listening to them to get through some boredom from the repetitive task - but I'm pretty sure that slowed me down. It was nice and relaxed for me, but they wanted us to go more quickly, of course.

Not that any of that is helpful for you. Just sharing.

I also needed to focus on financial independence - my parents were also immigrants, and being able to stand on my own two feet independently here, even if they went back to their home country, was crucial. My jobs were always way too stressful in terms of social environment for me......but, I will be forever grateful for all of the unbeatable experiences that funded through those salaries - from living in different places, road trips and international travel, hobbies, pets, etc. Most of all, I needed to get away from my toxic family - staying home was not psychologically feasible for me.

Someone who sometimes writes about Aspies and career is Penelope Trunk:
Asperger Syndrome | Penelope Trunk Careers

You may be able to send her a question as well?

I wouldn’t make it anyone’s business, so no, I wouldn’t tell if it will not greatly impose your work.

You gotta do what you feel is best, you know the people and situation but when I told just friends it didn’t always go over well and I wish I had kept my mouth shut. No way if it was work.

I agree with the above posts in that this question of employer and/or co-worker disclosure is not a "one size fits all" recommendation.

I am in the US. I have been professionally tested and diagnosed. I have the American's with Disabilities Act to provide some limited "protections" and "accommodations",...both within the legal system and for employment.

Personally, I was not diagnosed until I was 52,...after many years of employment, established reputation, etc. In my situation, "outing myself" to my supervisor, manager, co-workers, and Human Resources department, was not an issue,...very little has changed. Perhaps a limited amount of "grace" and understanding,...but at the end of the day, I still have to do my job as I always have. Having said that, this topic has been covered on this forum a number of times,...and certainly some folks have had some serious issues with their employers and co-workers for one reason or another. I am not going to recommend anything to you,...you know your situation.

As far as dealing with potentially overwhelming or mentally exhausting social and sensory issues at work,...everyone has their own way. I am in a position where I can slip away to the locker room or bathroom for 5 minute "mini breaks".

For those of you who have ASD1/"mild" autism and have worked/are working a full time job, do you disclose your diagnosis to future employers, or do you just not mention anything to them in fear of discrimination and losing job opportunities?

<snip>

One last question lol, for anyone on the spectrum who works in coding/computer programming, how is it for you? I've been researching and thinking about going on this path, since it seems like the only career I can realistically see myself doing at this point...

I have a Masters' degree in Computer Science and over 30 years continuous employment, along with three patents. I have worked for six different companies, ranging in size from 20 employees to over 30,000. Here are some of my takeaways:

• It is one of very few jobs where I think I could succeed.
  • I can NOT work in an open floor plan or cubicles. I MUST have an office with a closable door. In two of the companies, I had to share an office with another person. I was able to make that work, but do better alone.
  • If I have a reasonably clear goal, and can focus on the technology, I can produce very high quality work, and do better with the details than most.
  • I tend to take longer to produce the first version of a piece of code, but have very low bug rates, leading to a higher overall productivity. When my managers understand that, I excel. When they don't, it's been a problem.
  • I have a problem with pointless paperwork - it triggers a weird anxiety overreaction, so I tend to avoid it. This has sometimes led to situations where it looks like I'm not doing as much as others. Sometimes I have been able to work that out with managers, sometimes I have had to just suck it up and push through it.
  • The worst situation is when management pays lip-service to a policy or standard, but expects people to understand they should take shortcuts. I tend to miss those cues. At a former company, I was a Dev/Test group lead - we wrote test code for QA. I was actually written up on a review: "...spends too much time worrying about quality issues." That was literally the number one item on my job description. *sigh*
  • I refuse to take management positions. This has been career limiting, but probably better than the mess I would make if I took one.
  • When office politics come into play, I have major problems. My biggest career blunders are when I have had to evaluate or modify an existing system, and I have stepped on toes by making an honest report on its problems. Mind you, I wasn't complaining or j ust being negative, I was asked to do this and had written up detailed proposed solutions. You would think I would figure this out, and realize that egos are often more valued than quality products, but I recently did it again and am in the doghouse.
That last point is actually why I got an official diagnosis - I will be filing it with HR soon in hopes of an improving the situation. I've been with this company for a long time, and it has good policies, so I plan to stay, but I'm hoping it will lead to an internal transfer. Not sure how to write it up, though: "Request for Reasonable Accommodation: Tell my Division Director to stop being a micro-managing jerk that tries to shortcut company policies" probably won't cut it.

Last edited:
For those of you who have ASD1/"mild" autism and have worked/are working a full time job, do you disclose your diagnosis to future employers, or do you just not mention anything to them in fear of discrimination and losing job opportunities?

My diagnosis was from the DMS-5 days and I just got autism with a side of OCD but I have worked full-time for decades. I only disclosed once and it did not go well. My career has a "travelers" side to it so I moved a lot. But now that I would like to retire, I only have the meager sum I was able to tuck away.

Also, how do you deal with burnout, anxiety, and stress from work?

I have loved my career. It is a huge field that was able to keep me entertained and I worked with kids. I get along well with kids & animals, but grown-ups have a hard time with me. Some really hate me.

Anxiety & stress are the worst but I take a geographical cure and feel better in the morning.

My own autism was overlooked when there was a shortage of employees [working the census or in a seller's-market economy] but routinely rejected in a buyer's-market economy, whether I disclosed or not.

Some workplaces have an autism-friendly culture. Some places don't and will be cruel, even without disclosing.

My daughter was working at the Biltmore. She called me upset because a rich client had forced them to hire his son and everybody disliked him - what should she do? I told her to model autism-friendly behavior. If he's doing something irritating just tell him what & why you want him to stop.

My Christmas present from the office was that they invited me to their party. He turned out to be a popular guy once they got to know him. We all had a good time.

An ally is a wonderful thing

And if you do disclose, do you show your employers some sort of report/letter/documents of confirmation? (Sorry, I don't know if there's a term for this, but basically if you need to show your employer proof that you have autism, or a physical disability, mental disability, etc.) On the outside, I don't come across as someone who on the spectrum, but maybe I need a little more assistance/support (especially in career) after all. I don't know.

Also, if you have mild autism, do you ask for/receive government funding? Also sorry if my next comment sounds insensitive, but would it fall under disability support?

Also, how do you deal with burnout, anxiety, and stress from work? As someone who wants to get her life back together and work towards a different career path, a part of me gets worried about possible burnout and not being able to handle all/most of the responsibilities...

And how do you deal with the gaps in your resume? In my case, it's a mix of career indecision and letting time fly by, anxiety and depression issues, and the on and off head/breathing problems I had from Dec 2019-Oct 2020, which made it hard for me to sit long hours in front of the computer.

One last question lol, for anyone on the spectrum who works in coding/computer programming, how is it for you? I've been researching and thinking about going on this path, since it seems like the only career I can realistically see myself doing at this point...

Telling Employer. It is only recently that I realized that I might have ASD (though it was suspected as a kid). The clinician doing my assessment actually suggested I tell my supervisor and I think I will. However, I don't know if I would do so immediately upon starting a new job. It feels like something that should be kept on a "need-to-know" basis.

Disability Support. I'm in the USA. I think ASD can certainly be disabling for some depending on how it presents for them. Mine doesn't prevent me from working so I don't think I'd be eligible for any kind of disability services.

Preventing Burnout. I try to compartmentalize. I don't spend a lot of time ruminating/stressing about work after I leave the office. This is a little more complicated during the pandemic when I'm working from home but to the extent possible, I try to have clear boundaries. Also, don't be afraid to use your vacation/sick time, etc.

Gaps in Resume. I don't have any gaps in my resume but I personally don't feel like it's fair to ask people about these. I worked at a job for six months and decided not to put it on my resume. I was asked about this gap in my employment. I was able to explain that I did work during that period...but if I took six months off because I was burnt out and needed a break, I don't feel like I should be penalized for that.

New Threads

Top Bottom