• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions for those who have ASD1/A "mild" form of autism

Koihound

For those of you who have ASD1/"mild" autism and have worked/are working a full time job, do you disclose your diagnosis to future employers, or do you just not mention anything to them in fear of discrimination and losing job opportunities?

And if you do disclose, do you show your employers some sort of report/letter/documents of confirmation? (Sorry, I don't know if there's a term for this, but basically if you need to show your employer proof that you have autism, or a physical disability, mental disability, etc.) On the outside, I don't come across as someone who on the spectrum, but maybe I need a little more assistance/support (especially in career) after all. I don't know.

Also, if you have mild autism, do you ask for/receive government funding? Also sorry if my next comment sounds insensitive, but would it fall under disability support?

Also, how do you deal with burnout, anxiety, and stress from work? As someone who wants to get her life back together and work towards a different career path, a part of me gets worried about possible burnout and not being able to handle all/most of the responsibilities...

And how do you deal with the gaps in your resume? In my case, it's a mix of career indecision and letting time fly by, anxiety and depression issues, and the on and off head/breathing problems I had from Dec 2019-Oct 2020, which made it hard for me to sit long hours in front of the computer.

One last question lol, for anyone on the spectrum who works in coding/computer programming, how is it for you? I've been researching and thinking about going on this path, since it seems like the only career I can realistically see myself doing at this point...

The [legal] dynamics there are going to be different than here [USA].

Your best bet is to hook up with a Canadian autism society and get their recommendations.

My own autism was overlooked when there was a shortage of employees [working the census or in a seller's-market economy] but routinely rejected in a buyer's-market economy, whether I disclosed or not.

(That certainly played havoc on my résumé's continuity.)

I got a patent for Motorola.* Even that didn't save my job in a BM economy. And my own research may have contributed to their move beyond my commuting distance...!
full

One small software company liked my innovations in programming but were put off when I didn't embrace them as family as quickly as an NT might.

After wiping out in jobs like dishwasher (too slow), I made up my mind to avoid such jobs going forward. Even if I somehow became proficient at it, it would push my résumé in the wrong direction.

*It is now owned by Google.

Last edited:
Hi!

Disclosure (whether to disclose or not, and if so, to whom) is a "your mileage may vary" situation and really depends on the organization, manager, team, and your comfort level. There's no one-size fits all answer.

Generally speaking, unless you work at or are applying for a position with an organization that is known to be autism / neurodiverse friendly, stating that you are autistic is likely to result in some confusion, since most people don't really understand it.

Re: funding

In Canada, if you are permanently disabled to the point of being unable to work anymore (deemed by medical professional(s) to have no residual capacity for any realistic work) and have made a certain amount of CPP contributions, you can apply for the federal CPP-Disability (abbreviated as CPP-D).

Canada's CPP-D is very similar to the United States' SSDI.

At the federal level there is also the Disability Tax Credit (DTC). However, it is a tax credit - meaning it can reduce the amount of taxes payable and so if you're not working or working minimally, it may not do anything for you. It is also rather hard to qualify for - someone who is standalone ASD1 who is relatively independent is almost certainly going to get rejected.

I should note that qualifying for the DTC would open up eligibility for the Registered Disability Savings Program (RDSP), which helps with saving and accumulating funds towards "retirement."

See Autism Q and A: Autism-Related Benefits and Taxes | Blog | AutismBC for more links (their blog posts at the end give some more insight on the above).

In the US, those who don't qualify for the SSDI might try for the SSI instead.

In Canada, the equivalent of the SSI falls under provincial mandate and so varies from province to province.

In Ontario, it would be the Ontario Disability Supports Program (ODSP).

ODSP can consist of monthly benefit payments and/or supports in finding or retaining employment.

See https://aidecanada.ca/learn/resources/autism-funding-and-programs-for-18-in-ontario for more info.

At the very least, you should be able to get the ODSP employment supports even if you are not deemed to meet the stricter requirements for ODSP financial support.

A4A Ontario is a respected autistic self-advocacy group in Ontario that you may wish to reach out to.

Home | Autism Ontario seems to have some info but I'm not familiar with them.

Resources I'd recommend:
Autism and Neurodiversity in the Workplace | UBC Centre for Interdisciplinary Research and Collaboration in Autism (click on register on right side of page to register)
Mental Health Literacy Guide for Autism (by Autism Mental Health Literacy Project (AM-HeLP) Group)

Finally, as for resume gaps, you could say that you took time off work for personal reasons and just leave it at that.

I hope this helps!

The [legal] dynamics there are going to be different than here [USA].

Your best bet is to hook up with a Canadian autism society and get their recommendations.

My own autism was overlooked when there was a shortage of employees [working the census or in a seller's-market economy] but routinely rejected in a buyer's-market economy, whether I disclosed or not.

(That certainly played havoc on my résumé's continuity.)

I got a patent for Motorola.* Even that didn't save my job in a BM economy. And my own research may have contributed to their move beyond my commuting distance...!
full

One small software company liked my innovations in programming but were put off when I didn't embrace them as family as quickly as an NT might.

After wiping out in jobs like dishwasher (too slow), I made up my mind to avoid such jobs going forward. Even if I somehow became proficient at it, it would push my résumé in the wrong direction.

*It is now owned by Google.

Thank you for your reply! I actually haven't checked autismcanada.org yet, surprisingly. I will do that right now.

To be honest, I'm not as familiar when it comes to the economy so I'm trying to understand your work experience, but man I hate it when a school/work building moves further away (especially last minute), ugh... That happened to me at my 4th year, final semester of college. :rage: How annoying! As if the commute wasn't already long enough...

And that's weird that they were put off by that in your programming job. I would imagine that in such careers, people would be more okay with someone's lack of socialization and keeping to themselves, but I guess that's not always the case regardless of where you go. I'll probably have to do this for job/career prospects at some point, but there's a reason why I don't really go out of my way to attend... social networking events *shudders* They still make me a bit anxious.

And I feel you @ the jobs like dishwasher part. I've never had a full time job before, only contract, seasonal, part time, volunteer, etc. So that included being an art instructor, retail cashier, and volunteer receptionist, but even then I was overwhelmed in those kinds of jobs, even though high schoolers can apply to them. I have a hard time with heavy verbal instruction and short term memory reliance... which then makes me stressed... which then makes me anxious. I feel like my motor skills are slightly worse than an NT's too, so yeah...

...but there's a reason why I don't really go out of my way to attend... social networking events *shudders* They still make me a bit anxious.
I am okay when there is a shared interest (like church). Without that, I am totally a "fish out of water." :fish: :ocean:

Hi!

Disclosure (whether to disclose or not, and if so, to whom) is a "your mileage may vary" situation and really depends on the organization, manager, team, and your comfort level. There's no one-size fits all answer.

Generally speaking, unless you work at or are applying for a position with an organization that is known to be autism / neurodiverse friendly, stating that you are autistic is likely to result in some confusion, since most people don't really understand it.

Yeah I had a feeling it would depend on the company, staff, etc... Sigh. Well it was worth a shot, with me asking. Actually awhile ago, my mom told me something similar, about me not telling other people that I'm mildly autistic because they wouldn't understand.

Re: funding

In Canada, if you are permanently disabled to the point of being unable to work anymore (deemed by medical professional(s) to have no residual capacity for any realistic work) and have made a certain amount of CPP contributions, you can apply for the federal CPP-Disability (abbreviated as CPP-D).

Canada's CPP-D is very similar to the United States' SSDI.

At the federal level there is also the Disability Tax Credit (DTC). However, it is a tax credit - meaning it can reduce the amount of taxes payable and so if you're not working or working minimally, it may not do anything for you. It is also rather hard to qualify for - someone who is standalone ASD1 who is relatively independent is almost certainly going to get rejected.

Ahh I see, yeah that makes sense. I definitely don't consider myself permanently disabled at all, just wondering if there were any options for my case at all since that was something I haven't thought about/looked into 'til now.

At the very least, you should be able to get the ODSP employment supports even if you are not deemed to meet the stricter requirements for ODSP financial support.

Oh really?? Even as someone who has ASD1/Mild autism??? (with anxiety, depression, and possible ocd that I need to look into to be honest...) Even if I don't meet the stricter requirements, if there's even a little bit of help that I can get and I qualify for it then that sounds great to me!

Finally, as for resume gaps, you could say that you took time off work for personal reasons and just leave it at that.

I hope this helps!

Ahh I figured. Yeah I had a feeling I would have to say I have gaps because of personal reasons. They really don't ask anything beyond that, though? For my previous jobs, I either didn't have to go through an interview 'cause I got the job from a relative, or for job interviews, it was at a time where there weren't any gaps in my employment history. I think it was brought up one time though when I applied to a paying Christian job [I didn't get the job, btw], but I didn't feel anxious about that because... y'know. Christian. Though I do feel anxious about it if it were to be brought up at any other place I was applying to.

And yes, this helped so much! Thank you!

With my off the wall job choices when l was younger - l guess l avoided a lot of conflict like office politics which l am better at but it took time.

But bosses who are on the spectrum seem to know right away l am one of them and 99% of them will hire me. NT will hire me about 50% chance.

For those of you who have ASD1/"mild" autism and have worked/are working a full time job, do you disclose your diagnosis to future employers, or do you just not mention anything to them in fear of discrimination and losing job opportunities?

Although very common, this remains a complex question in general. Starting with the reality that autism is handled somewhat differently from one country to another. You'll find a number of posts where many of us Americans will say without reservation, "Need-To-Know" Basis Only. Where it can be precarious even to disclose your neurology to a loved one, or a close friend. With no guarantees that you will be understood or accepted by them.

Unless of course you feel your level of ASD warrants government entitlements, where you must formally disclose your condition. But otherwise in our country we have no clear and effective safeguards against discrimination. And in our medical system, once you formally are diagnosed it becomes a matter of record.

I can't recommend telling an employer without just cause. If your job hangs in the balance over misunderstandings related to your traits and behaviors, it might be worth the risk. Though in general you're still "throwing the dice" because so few people ultimately have the capacity to understand us to any real degree.

In other countries like Great Britain, from my American perspective things seem a bit better for autistic people. That your rights are more clearly defined in comparison.

I am okay when there is a shared interest (like church). Without that, I am totally a "fish out of water." :fish: :ocean:

Yeah I agree about the shared interest part.

Also I go to church too! Actually I haven't had the greatest experiences with people around my age at the churches I previously went to, but I really like the one that I've been attending so far since 2013...? Though, it's still been taking me baby steps to... open up socially? Haha, like first it was being hesitant about being in a small group, and then being hesitant in trying out volunteer work, and now it's being hesitant still about attending young adult church events/concerts lol...

And if you do disclose, do you show your employers some sort of report/letter/documents of confirmation? (Sorry, I don't know if there's a term for this, but basically if you need to show your employer proof that you have autism, or a physical disability, mental disability, etc.) On the outside, I don't come across as someone who on the spectrum, but maybe I need a little more assistance/support (especially in career) after all. I don't know.

Also, if you have mild autism, do you ask for/receive government funding? Also sorry if my next comment sounds insensitive, but would it fall under disability support?

Also, how do you deal with burnout, anxiety, and stress from work? As someone who wants to get her life back together and work towards a different career path, a part of me gets worried about possible burnout and not being able to handle all/most of the responsibilities...

And how do you deal with the gaps in your resume? In my case, it's a mix of career indecision and letting time fly by, anxiety and depression issues, and the on and off head/breathing problems I had from Dec 2019-Oct 2020, which made it hard for me to sit long hours in front of the computer.

One last question lol, for anyone on the spectrum who works in coding/computer programming, how is it for you? I've been researching and thinking about going on this path, since it seems like the only career I can realistically see myself doing at this point...
I have so much to say that I can't say it, ha. I am currently so overwhelmed by job stuff, burnout, etc. Maybe I will work up to a reply some time. But for now, I hope you get lots of good advice from others. I am self-diagnosed and have never disclosed....and everything has taken such a toll on me that I am actually hoping to transition out of a career, if possible, for the sake of my mental and physical health. If you are a good coder, I would think that field could be ideal for a person on the spectrum, though. Getting the best match for your long-term well-being, making room for your needs to not burn out and to be able to take care of yourself - that's the key I think. Hang in there! I was so worried about the gaps in my resume - same reasons as yours. When I landed my current job, it seemed like the last door open to me, period, and they actually didn't seem to know they were supposed to be concerned about the gaps as most employers would be. So that was fortunate!

I was so worried about the gaps in my resume - same reasons as yours. When I landed my current job, it seemed like the last door open to me, period, and they actually didn't seem to know they were supposed to be concerned about the gaps as most employers would be. So that was fortunate!
Gaps are probably less critical post[?]-covid19.

With my off the wall job choices when l was younger - l guess l avoided a lot of conflict like office politics which l am better at but it took time.

But bosses who are on the spectrum seem to know right away l am one of them and 99% of them will hire me. NT will hire me about 50% chance.

I see... I don't know if I had off the wall job choices (I don't know what's considered an "off the wall job" to be honest) but I guess with my temporary jobs, I haven't stayed long enough to be involved with office politics and drama...?

But whoa that's really cool to hear about bosses who are on the spectrum! I don't know if it's just me, but I would imagine that coming across a boss on the spectrum is like a 1 out of 10 chance. Not surprised about the NT though...

Yeah I agree about the shared interest part.

Also I go to church too! Actually I haven't had the greatest experiences with people around my age at the churches I previously went to, but I really like the one that I've been attending so far since 2013...? Though, it's still been taking me baby steps to... open up socially? Haha, like first it was being hesitant about being in a small group, and then being hesitant in trying out volunteer work, and now it's being hesitant still about attending young adult church events/concerts lol...

I go to church, too:) It seems to be the only environment where people look at me with a trusting and positive attitude. Usually in the world people think I seem aloof, snobby, basically every negative thing - without even getting to know me. But I have been welcomed at church. But my community happens to be filled with an inordinate number of quirksters, including people on the spectrum. That's probably what helps!

I see... I don't know if I had off the wall job choices (I don't know what's considered an "off the wall job" to be honest) but I guess with my temporary jobs, I haven't stayed long enough to be involved with office politics and drama...?

But whoa that's really cool to hear about bosses who are on the spectrum! I don't know if it's just me, but I would imagine that coming across a boss on the spectrum is like a 1 out of 10 chance. Not surprised about the NT though...

Thanks. But l definetely have off days for interviews. There seem to be more people on the spectrum in my area.

I live and work in the USA, and have been continuously employed for almost 35 years. However, throughout my career I have felt restless and unfulfilled. I am now 62, will be 63 in September. I was not diagnosed until last year. Because I have been employed with the same company for 12 years and have consistently performed at a high level, I disclosed my diagnosis to my boss. I have not suffered any ill effects from this disclosure, but I have not asked for any form of disability support. So I am not able to respond to some of your questions.

I recently had a similar discussion with a 50 year old friend who works at my company. Like me he feels restless and unfulfilled. He is very intelligent but received no parental career guidance. In his words he is just a “cog in a machine”. I explained that we are all cogs in machines, and that does not make us failures. He is married and has two ASD1 teen aged sons. Without his unfulfilling job he could lose his wife and kids and become homeless. I advised my friend to provide his sons with the guidance he did not receive, and to be the best performing “cog in a machine” that he can be. It comes down to how you choose to view yourself, as a success or failure.

My friend suffers from anxiety and depression, and is undoubtedly on the spectrum. I cope with these issues via two different antidepressants, one taken in the morning snd one taken at night. I have also gone through cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness classes, neither of which were very helpful.

If you see yourself achieving future success in computer programming, then go for it. Be the best programmer you can be. I hope some of these comments are helpful, and I wish you the best of luck.

Although very common, this remains a complex question in general. Starting with the reality that autism is handled somewhat differently from one country to another. You'll find a number of posts where many of us Americans will say without reservation, "Need-To-Know" Basis Only. Where it can be precarious even to disclose your neurology to a loved one, or a close friend. With no guarantees that you will be understood or accepted by them.

Unless of course you feel your level of ASD warrants government entitlements, where you must formally disclose your condition. But otherwise in our country we have no clear and effective safeguards against discrimination. And in our medical system, once you formally are diagnosed it becomes a matter of record.

I can't recommend telling an employer without just cause. If your job hangs in the balance over misunderstandings related to your traits and behaviors, it might be worth the risk. Though in general you're still "throwing the dice" because so few people ultimately have the capacity to understand us to any real degree.

In other countries like Great Britain, from my American perspective things seem a bit better for autistic people. That your rights are more clearly defined in comparison.

Thank you for your reply!

If I remember correctly, I've disclosed my diagnosis very briefly on my Instagram a long time ago on Autism day but deleted the post (back when archiving posts weren't a thing, I think).
I've disclosed it one time applying to a paying Christian job--only because I was really thrown off by interview questions I didn't know how to answer on the spot (such as "what is your dream?" How am I supposed to answer that? I don't know lol).
I've disclosed it to close friends and to a woman's church small group program... maybe even a couple of other people at church (like my church counselor and a few other girls in my main small group).
The people I've disclosed it to seem pretty okay with me--especially my close friends.
But at the same time, the paranoid side of me... the vibe that I get at times from others when I open up, is that I might be mentioning it way too much that I get accused of self-pitying and victimizing myself... That I'm faking my childhood Pervasive Developmental Disorder diagnosis for sympathy points. At the end of the day, I just wanted to be accepted for who I am and live life with the cards that I'm dealt with. Actually if anything, I have a long way to go to accept myself for who I am.

Honestly, I don't think my level of ASD warrants government entitlements. I was just inquiring since it wasn't something I really thought about and looked into (especially in a mild case like mine). I think the most help I would get is what others already mentioned in the thread, and finding the most affordable and appropriate therapist for me. I tried group therapy covered under my dad's insurance and/or my health card when I was under 25. The therapy only lasted 2 months but I was on the waitlist for nearly a year... and I don't think that group therapy/my therapist was a right fit for me anyways. And I'm saying no to medication 'cause the one I tried to take for depression last year did worse for me than good, so yeah...

Anyways sorry for the long reply/rant lol. I guess the only time I would have to disclose my ASD is if it got really, really really bad... like an emergency type of situation

Honestly, I don't think my level of ASD warrants government entitlements. I was just inquiring since it wasn't something I really thought about and looked into (especially in a mild case like mine). I think the most would be what the others have already mentioned in the thread, and finding the most affordable and appropriate therapist for me. I tried group therapy covered under my dad's insurance and/or my health card when I was under 25. The therapy only lasted 2 months but I was on the waitlist for nearly a year... and I don't think that group therapy/my therapist was a right fit for me anyways. And I'm saying no to medication 'cause the one I tried to take for depression last year did worse for me than good, so yeah...

Anyways sorry for the long reply/rant lol. I guess the only time I would have to disclose my ASD is if it got really, really really bad... like an emergency type of situation

It's tough as well that so many states have extremely limited programs for autistic adults. As if we turn a magic age in which it is no longer an issue. (WTH) Even my state of Nevada (as do others) seem to view autism only as a children's issue. With proper resources geared accordingly.

In my own case both therapy and having pills thrown in my direction didn't do anything positive for me in the long run. Though I was never diagnosed for autism either, as at the time it was barely on the radar of many medical professionals.

On occasion if a stranger negatively remarks on how I handle a social situation, I sometimes just glare at them and say, "Autistic children grow up to be autistic adults". I didn't even begin to suspect my own neurology until the age of 55, and quite by accident.

In essence there are so many of us unaccounted for in the ASD1 category, but for the most part it's like being in "no man's land" medically speaking. Because we don't "look autistic" or act accordingly that we must not be autistic at all. Often making it a lifelong uphill battle just to tell the truth of who- and what we are. :(

Last edited:
I have so much to say that I can't say it, ha. I am currently so overwhelmed by job stuff, burnout, etc. Maybe I will work up to a reply some time. But for now, I hope you get lots of good advice from others. I am self-diagnosed and have never disclosed....and everything has taken such a toll on me that I am actually hoping to transition out of a career, if possible, for the sake of my mental and physical health. If you are a good coder, I would think that field could be ideal for a person on the spectrum, though. Getting the best match for your long-term well-being, making room for your needs to not burn out and to be able to take care of yourself - that's the key I think. Hang in there! I was so worried about the gaps in my resume - same reasons as yours. When I landed my current job, it seemed like the last door open to me, period, and they actually didn't seem to know they were supposed to be concerned about the gaps as most employers would be. So that was fortunate!

It's okay! I get like that too, to the point that I either take days (weeks, if it really gets bad) to reply or... don't reply at all.

Oh man, congrats on getting your current job, but I also wish you good luck on your career transition!
I think this is also a reason why I'm so jaded about working and the ~daily grind~, because it really does take a toll on someone physically and mentally. The fact that people should feel guilty about taking time off work is ridiculous! That better change once this pandemic is over, because I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn't--ESPECIALLY if someone is obligated to go to work even though they're sick. Like haven't the employers/management learned at all from this pandemic?? And the fact that most/some employers are so fixated on people's employment gaps... I genuinely don't even know if they're aware that human life is very unpredictable and how it's kind of unrealistic for someone to be constantly employed. It bothers me that all these things are considered normal in society, when it really shouldn't be...?

But yeah, from what I've seen so far, coding seems to be the closest to an ideal/realistic career for me...? I'm always on the computer lol, and I very, very casually dabbled in HTML/CSS ever since late elementary school and don't get burnt out by long typing haha. I guess I'm just more concerned about the workload, the job interviews *shudders*, the possible work mistreatment (ex. payment, ethical, etc.)

New Threads

Top Bottom