• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question if cluster A personality disorders can be co-morbid with ASD

Oz67

Can Schizoid Personality Disorder, Schizotypal Disorder/Schizotypal Personality Disorder and /or both be co-morbid with Autism Spectrum Disorder?

I meet some of the both diagnostic criteria for Schizotypal Disorder/Schizotypal Personality Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder, alongside with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I think you do have an autism diagnosis? So, if so, and you meet criteria for these other diagnoses, then, yes, why not? But sounds like in your case, you only meet some of the criteria for these other conditions?

Can Schizoid Personality Disorder, Schizotypal Disorder/Schizotypal Personality Disorder and /or both be co-morbid with Autism Spectrum Disorder?

I meet some of the both diagnostic criteria for Schizotypal Disorder/Schizotypal Personality Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder, alongside with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I did a quick search and found a Wikipedia article that said it's very common. "In a 2012 study of a sample of 54 young adults with Asperger syndrome, it was found that 26% of them also met criteria for SPD, the highest comorbidity out of any personality disorder in the sample."
Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia

I think you do have an autism diagnosis? So, if so, and you meet criteria for these other diagnoses, then, yes, why not? But sounds like in your case, you only meet some of the criteria for these other conditions?

Yes, I have Autism and Bipolar Disorder.

Yes their can be comorbidities with autism and personality disorders are a fairly common one. My hypothesis is that because we already relate to ourselves and others in an atypical way our "personalities" can become "disordered" pretty easily.

Schizoid personality disorder is what a lot of people on the spectrum were previously misdiagnosed with.

ASD has a lot of traits that also exist in other disorders. Schizoid personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder.

It’s not so much that these are comorbid: your ASD explains these traits. Which is why, as you say, you have some of the traits that fit those diagnoses, but not all.

On a different note: I feel like you’re posting a question about disorders almost on a daily basis. To me, it comes off at a bit of an obsession (but I could be wrong of course). Can I ask why this is?

And my follow-up question: Do you feel like it’s beneficial to you?

The primary purpose of these considerations is not to contemplate themselves but to lead to treatments. What treatments will you try in accordance with this information? That's all that's relevant. Your labels are meaningless apart from that.

The cluster of traits that define the conditions are similar. That is all. One is a personality disorder, the other is a developmental syndrome. Different development, similar symptoms, or overlap of behavours. I would think they would be mutually exclusive diagnoses.

New Threads

Top Bottom