• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Query me this, don't ask me about that!

strange I was called a troll on Facebook because I wouldn’t say all Muslims have the life ruined the Way Jews do,They seem to discount everything I said about the Jews

Sorry to hear that Streetwise. I don't like Facebook.

I think this site is a great resource for all of us with Autism. Unless absolutely necessary I think what is said here should stay here.

I think this site is a great resource for all of us with Autism. Unless absolutely necessary I think what is said here should stay here.

Much like Las Vegas... What happens on Autism Forums, stays on Autism Forums.

Or Fight Club... The first rule of Autism Forums is: you do not talk about Autism Forums. The second rule of Autism Forums is: you do not talk about Autism Forums.

One employer sat a group of recent hired- on staff , and said our media accounts would be checked and would be monitored so to be aware, a past employer of mine.
This is why my Facebook account is set to private and I don’t befriend coworkers on social media (except for LinkedIn, but I don’t have anything but professional information on there).

Much like Las Vegas... What happens on Autism Forums, stays on Autism Forums.

Or Fight Club... The first rule of Autism Forums is: you do not talk about Autism Forums. The second rule of Autism Forums is: you do not talk about Autism Forums.

LOL, but humor aside, pretty much this. This roughly sums up my opinion about the topic, and what I've shared already or anyone else has shared hasn't been spread around the net from what I've seen. That's good news at least.

I definitely can trust the majority of people here even if there are a few bandits that pop up from time to time, but anywhere else is a no-go. I think there are more than a few "fight clubs" out there with the same philosophy, and this one is my go-to when I need to get it off my chest or what not.

Last edited:
We deal with daily stumbling blocks but now l understand l am just normal here after posters opened up about this. So when l blow a fuse or gasket, this forum allows it to be a relatively trival thing where as a NT may take it to the moon and back again.

A little paranoia is healthy for a bit of self preservation I find, real people & online anonymous. I do worry sometimes about what I've said being too revealing.
EG. If someone who knew me in RL came here fishing & found a post of mine relating to something they knew about recently in RL, my identity may be busted I suppose. But without knowing my user name here, it would be highly unlikely as so many topics to choose from!
Also, as a lot of things I have revealed & said are pretty close to other people's experiences here, it would never be certain. I also feel comfortable here (altho' Anon) & being able to be totally honest is refreshing. So I lay aside my paranoia hat here ☺
Thank you Schism, you make sense and I feel a little better (even if that wasnt your aim). I like checking in with this community, its very validating and a way for me to honor my diagnosis. I wouldnt want to have to lose it. Ive thought over my posts too, and dont think Ive said anything too revealing, except for Im autistic! LOL. Very few people know.

I don't discuss anything incriminating (like drug use for example, not that I do) because I don't consider it anonymous. Someone motivated enough who knows me well enough could put together the "puzzle" after some digging and find that this is me.

Do you feel more comfortable discussing your quirks, flirts, perks, hurts, because this is anonymous?

Are you ever paranoid that this forum of self-confession will follow you around somehow?

I don't. At least not anymore. I have a couple of blogs in which I reveal a lot of very personal stuff, photos included. Anime, techie stuff, Asperger stuff, even nudie stuff. Blogging helps me clear my mind and brings order to chaos. It is a doublecheck to make sure I'm not lying to myself.

It helps being retired.

Along the way, I developed the philosophy that one shouldn't post anything one is afraid of showing up on the evening news. The corollary to this is not to be ashamed of anything you do and don't do things you are ashamed of.

"News flash! Fred was seen naked on the streets! He was also seen to vapor lock in intensely emotional confrontations, loves anime, and has demonstrated a remarkable lack of social skills. News at Eight!"

So what?

When I was 22 I moved from Michigan to Los Angeles and vowed to stay out of the closet. To some degree, I managed to do it. I figure anyone who can't deal with the real me is not a good prospect for a friend.

OTOH, employers? They could look at your social media if you use your real name but otherwise, that's all. If you are concerned, write under a nom de plume. Try Googling your name and see what comes up. It is up to you how much you want to share with coworkers.

This forum was the first time I've ever shared a lot of my traits with people. I've kept a lot of behaviours from everyone except for a few people I dated saw - such as my swaying and my verbal and motor tics etc.

It's been quite an eye opener to read about the condition and seeing how just how many physical and mental characteristics I have in common with those listed in articles and exerts I've read about aspergers and autism.

Ed

Yes. In real life, I have no one to discuss such things with. If I talk to my partner or my partner about such things, they shut me down. I don't share much or talk much in real life, anyway.

If you mean. whether someone in real life will suss out that it's me posting here, no. No one knows I post here, though if someone who knows me well were to read this site and see my posts, they might suspect that it's me. I don't think that anyone is really that curious, though.

Someone sho knows me online from a music site, but not well, did find me here once. It happened because he wanted to get in touch with me, and googled my user name from that site, and a post from this site came up. So yeah, one has to be careful what one posts in the public section especially. I since edited that post so that the other username doesn't show up.

What I don't understand is why my ability to interact has to be suddenly restrained to conceal my diagnosis. Before my diagnosis I did okay interacting with people I chose to interact with. Now, my wife acts as though I am a leper, or an alien. Before the diagnosis my health was insurable. Now the insurance company assumes the worst, and has no concept of the difference between ASD1 and ASD3. I was born this way, and learned coping skills on my own over roughly 60 years. Suddenly that doesn't count for squat. I have been continuously employed the past 34 years; now I have to worry about people I work with finding out I have ASD.

There appears to be a complete disconnect between the medical community, it's efforts to diagnose and provide support, and mainstream society. We see and hear official messages everywhere encouraging diversity, while in practice it is a complete sham. What in the heck is wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
Hey - it's okay. Just really curious what people think about posting here. We can reveal pretty intensive personal things- what does the other half think?

What I don't understand is why my ability to interact has to be suddenly restrained to conceal my diagnosis. Before my diagnosis I did okay interacting with people I chose to interact with. Now, my wife acts as though I am a leper, or an alien.
My partner is very sceptical about psychiatry and its validity, I think he just sees it as a way for pharmaceutical companies to make more money from pushing pills on us. I think he sees it as being a personality trait rather than something that need to be diagnosed. This is why I don't talk to him about it, even though he didn't try to deny the diagnosis when I told him about it.

Therapy and medication can be combined or done individually. Neither can cure root causes of issues, but meds can help calm current symptoms and therapy provides a neutral perspective and medically trained responses to whatever you choose to share with the therapist.

Yes, pharmaceuticals are big business, but it's a patients choice to accept them or say no.

Ed

I have always been open since diagnosis to employers not always with positive effects... sometimes it's felt that this choice has enabled managers and colleagues to exploit my difference instead of making reasonable adjustments,i'm currently exploring career options that are less social/communication based ( i currently work in the care sector) as generally work has been underpaid, unsatisfying and incredibly stressful.
My downfall (perhaps) is thinking people should "get" me, and wanting the world and people to be what i want and not how it is. I joined here to get advice, support and understanding from people who share my difference of experiencing the world and with the hope that will help me accept myself more.

I was prescribed an antidepressant years ago by a sleep doctor, and that drug worked great in relieving sleep related problems. That doctor retired in 2013, and I was unable to get a doctor to renew the prescription. So I went 6.5 years without medication, and finally sought help for chronic insomnia. This led to my being referred to a psychiatrist, who diagnosed the ASD and wrote a new prescription for the same medication. In a sense mission accomplished, but at the cost of being labeled autistic.

I don't question the diagnosis because in my case there were secondary physical issues caused by ASD. I am just astounded that I am no different than I was 15 years ago when I was viewed positively, and suddenly l have to worry about prejudice from neurotypicals.

My partner is very sceptical about psychiatry and its validity, I think he just sees it as a way for pharmaceutical companies to make more money from pushing pills on us. I think he sees it as being a personality trait rather than something that need to be diagnosed. This is why I don't talk to him about it, even though he didn't try to deny the diagnosis when I told him about it.

I am not too different in my view from that of your partner. I'll see ASD as a label, primarily to classify people based upon a set of characteristics.

New Threads

Top Bottom