• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Query me this, don't ask me about that!

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Do you feel more comfortable discussing your quirks, flirts, perks, hurts, because this is anonymous?

Are you ever paranoid that this forum of self confession will follow you around somehow?

I have friends I discuss the same things with, but this is the only place that actually understands what I'm talking about.

And I don't think I've said anything that would trouble me for others to know. But either way, I don't worry about that. It seems far-fetched.

Do you feel more comfortable discussing your quirks, flirts, perks, hurts, because this is anonymous?

Are you ever paranoid that this forum of self confession will follow you around somehow?

1) Yes, but I would also be fine talking about many of these things in more detail with my closest friends (all 4 of them, one of whom is my wife)..

2) No, the odds that anyone from my RL would visit here is extremely low. Even if they did, and thought they were going to use it against me somehow, they would quickly learn they have no power over me.

I'm cautious about what I say EVERYWHERE. People are always looking to gain the upper hand in any way possible. That's why I don't use my real name online anywhere anymore.

I'm cautious about what I say EVERYWHERE. People are always looking to gain the upper hand in any way possible. That's why I don't use my real name online anywhere anymore.

And here I thought your name was Major.. ;)

Seriously though, you must have a lot of past trauma to have that level of cynicism.. :oops: And I thought *I* was cynical about people.

It's interesting because some of us grew up with computers, and some of us didn't. I had to raise my daughter in the digital age and l don't know if l should have been more restrictive or not. I still can't answer that question. But it's a teenage thing to be glued to your phone. I have younger co-workers who always have their phone close by. So adults are more standoffish then the younger kids about using your name online.

One employer sat a group of recent hired- on staff , and said our media accounts would be checked and would be monitored so to be aware, a past employer of mine.

Last edited:

Yes, I do feel better with anonymity. However, I have discussed these matters with a friend who is trained to work with autistic children.

Yes, I do sometimes feel a little paranoid because even though the user name is anonymous, it is associated with an email address that can be traced to one's identity. Now, if our profile data were encrypted I would be less concerned.

It's interesting because some of us grew up with computers, and some of us didn't. I had to raise my daughter in the digital age and l don't know if l should have been more restrictive or not. I still can't answer that question. But it's a teenage thing to be glued to your phone. I have younger co-workers who always have their phone close by. So adults are more standoffish then the younger kids about using your name online.

One employer sat a group of recent hired- on staff , and said our media accounts would be checked and would be monitored so to be aware, a past employer of mine.

It is wise to be cautious in revealing personal information online.

Yes. In real life, I have no one to discuss such things with. If I talk to my partner or my partner about such things, they shut me down. I don't share much or talk much in real life, anyway.
If you mean. whether someone in real life will suss out that it's me posting here, no. No one knows I post here, though if someone who knows me well were to read this site and see my posts, they might suspect that it's me. I don't think that anyone is really that curious, though.

Someone sho knows me online from a music site, but not well, did find me here once. It happened because he wanted to get in touch with me, and googled my user name from that site, and a post from this site came up. So yeah, one has to be careful what one posts in the public section especially. I since edited that post so that the other username doesn't show up.

I don't post selfies or try to mention my name anywhere online. The only reason some of my name is on fb is bc of relatives and co-workers. Aside from that, ppl need to earn my trust but telling ppl my name doesn't change much once trust is there.

Funny thing - I don't feel anonymous here, I feel like you guys pretty much know me better than the rest of the world. I agree with @Fino that here you get understanding.
But I did try to befriend a couple people outside this forum that didn't take long to regret - but they were just the wrong persons and I never see them on here any more either. For a little while I even thought I would have to give up this forum but my daughter in law talked me out of it, saying it means too much for me to give it up. She was right.
I might be more anonymous if I used a different image. lol

The anonymity helps, but I mostly feel comfortable sharing because I know a lot of you understand me better than my NT friends do. I’m not worried about my online life here seeping into the outside world somehow. And even if it did, I don’t have anything to be ashamed of.

Last edited:
Admittedly there are a lot of variables in this equation. Nationality, age, societal considerations and stigmatization concerns, and existing or potential employers.

In essence, some of us live in more "understanding" places and circumstances than others.

Also, echoing @Pats sentiment, I don’t feel truly anonymous here, some people on these forums I’ve come to regard as friends and I’m closer to some of you than I am with my local friends. I think I actually hang out less with my friends than I did before I joined these forums, because I have a lot of issues I can’t really discuss with them and I find the understanding I’m looking for on these forums.

I’ve also broken the rule of anonymity by sharing my address and real name with one of the members on these forums so we can send each other postcards and tiny gifts.

I think that would cross anyone's mind that was posting personal things online. Is it going to get out somehow.

New Threads

Top Bottom