• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Puppet to play autistic child in stage play

It's quite disturbing how the producers of the play have attempted to justify it. They have countered suggestions that a young autistic actor could have played the role because the flashing lights. loud noises and sudden surprises in the play would likely cause them meltdowns.... Then they say they hope thousands of autistic people will go to see it to judge for themselves. Obviously they aren't at risk of meltdowns then, only autistic actors have them ;)

It's quite disturbing how the producers of the play have attempted to justify it. They have countered suggestions that a young autistic actor could have played the role because the flashing lights. loud noises and sudden surprises in the play would likely cause them meltdowns.... Then they say they hope thousands of autistic people will go to see it to judge for themselves. Obviously they aren't at risk of meltdowns then, only autistic actors have them ;)

I hope thousands of autistic people and allies show up to stage a peaceful public protest outside the theater.

Or that thousands of autistic people and allies create a massive media backlash that is taken up around the world.

I wouldn't pay to see a show that promises to dehumanize me and others like me, I would boycott the theater company and encourage everyone else that I know to do the same. They shouldn't be rewarded for this.

Last edited:
I only wish the producers of the play could read this thread! It might make them think more.

I doubt it, they already consulted with the National Autistic Society, parents of autistic people, and "about 50 autistic adults", according to this aricle: New play criticised for using a puppet to portray an autistic boy

And, as quoted, from the article I linked to above, the National Autistic Society has publicly said they can't support the play:

Jane Harris, director of external affairs at the National Autistic Society, said: “About 700,000 people in the UK are autistic and most feel very misunderstood by the public. That’s why we give advice to production companies about ideas and scripts for TV, film and theatre to help them promote accurate images of autistic people.

“The production company behind this play contacted us and we arranged for autistic and non-autistic people to give feedback. We are pleased the production company made two changes in response — one for accuracy and another around representation.

“However, while recognising some of the play’s strengths, we decided we could not support the play overall due to its portrayal of autism, particularly the use of a puppet to depict the autistic character alone.”

Last edited:
There are hundreds of people upset by it on Twitter using #puppetgate including academics, researchers and people who run autism charities. The NAS issued a statement saying that whilst they were asked to endorse the play, they are unable to do so because of the puppet.
The producers are well aware of the upset they've caused but they are entirely unsympathetic, making excuse after excuse. There has been coverage of the backlash in the press too. I've found the image that's circulating of the script pages and posted it below. You may have to download it and enlarge it in a picture viewer to read the words.

Dy2TXqLWkAAMdyF.jpg

I hope thousands of autistic people and allies show up to stage a peaceful public protest outside the theater.

Or that thousands of autistic people and allies create a massive media backlash that is taken up around the world.

I wouldn't pay to see a show that promises to dehumanize me and others like me, I would boycott the theater company and encourage everyone else that I know to do the same. They shouldn't be rewarded for this.

Someone is trying to organise such a picket. They just msgd me to ask if they could use the spoof logo I knocked up to print on stickers and banners.

333s.png

How about a parody of planet of the apes?

Where Tyler,Charlton Heston in the original, is autistic.

The rest of the cast are still apes,obviously.

If you remember his first words in the film -

"Get your hands off me, you dirty ape."

Last edited:
excerpts from the script have been dug up which refer to the autistic boy as "like a puppy" because he "jumps up and down whenever he sees you" and "[defecates] wherever he wants to."

I am so upset I don't know what to write.

Just imagine if people were allowed to do this sort of thing to a character from another minority group, taking all the worst misunderstandings and dehumanizing stereotypes about people from that group and running with or exaggerating them in a completely serious and non-satirical way.

I know, I know. They don't understand us, and as long as we are portrayed like this they never will. Are we animals? Have we no rights? I have always been on the outside and that is not enough? Not content to exclude me I must be demonized? Is The Night of Broken Glass next? Or is autism to be cured like downs syndrome was?

As long as the play is a success and everyone makes a lot of money... o_O (sarcastic)

Sorry guys, I am so overwhelmed this morning (school was very, very busy yesterday) but oh god... then I come on here and see this... :(

I have an amazing relationship with my students, I care very much for everyone of them, we are like family. I have thought that it would be good for them to know that I am on the spectrum, they would see what autism looks like in life. (does that make sense) My wife is against it, it could cost me my job, and I can't afford that but... Then I would be making a difference... of course unless I got fired... there would be a good reason why they let me go...

I know there are laws to protect us but the attitude here even of people in power (afraid to say more) is that autism is something to be laughed at and mocked. Just recently someone was laughing at an autistic person behind their back and when I started to explain why this person was acting the way they were the person who was telling me this turned and walked away. Guess I spoiled the "joke". And this is not the first time. It makes me angry but when some NT's see something odd they have to pick at it (I do understand why.) Not to say too much, but I feel that even writing this has a chance of getting me fired (guess I'm paranoid.) My wife is very concerned that I stay quiet...

The person who was being laughed at is brilliant, is going to make an awesome engineer if employers can overlook his social awkwardness. In this field they will...

This is why I will never be dx-ed.

I am very nervous posting this, I have written so many posts and deleted them out of fear. Here goes:confused:

I am so upset I don't know what to write.

I know, I know. They don't understand us, and as long as we are portrayed like this they never will. Are we animals? Have we no rights? I have always been on the outside and that is not enough? Not content to exclude me I must be demonized? Is The Night of Broken Glass next? Or is autism to be cured like downs syndrome was?

As long as the play is a success and everyone makes a lot of money... o_O (sarcastic)

Sorry guys, I am so overwhelmed this morning (school was very, very busy yesterday) but oh god... then I come on here and see this... :(

I have an amazing relationship with my students, I care very much for everyone of them, we are like family. I have thought that it would be good for them to know that I am on the spectrum, they would see what autism looks like in life. (does that make sense) My wife is against it, it could cost me my job, and I can't afford that but... Then I would be making a difference... of course unless I got fired... there would be a good reason why they let me go...

I know there are laws to protect us but the attitude here even of people in power (afraid to say more) is that autism is something to be laughed at and mocked. Just recently someone was laughing at an autistic person behind their back and when I started to explain why this person was acting the way they were the person who was telling me this turned and walked away. Guess I spoiled the "joke". And this is not the first time. It makes me angry but when some NT's see something odd they have to pick at it (I do understand why.) Not to say too much, but I feel that even writing this has a chance of getting me fired (guess I'm paranoid.) My wife is very concerned that I stay quiet...

The person who was being laughed at is brilliant, is going to make an awesome engineer if employers can overlook his social awkwardness. In this field they will...

This is why I will never be dx-ed.

I am very nervous posting this, I have written so many posts and deleted them out of fear. Here goes:confused:

Don't be afraid friend. Even if what you fear is likely, there's not enough information in any of your posts to identify you so you really shouldn't worry so much. Thank you for your input as always :)

Thankyou guys. I need to get off here, I am falling apart. I love this forum, people who understand each other and me. Need to rest.

Thankyou guys. I need to get off here, I am falling apart. I love this forum, people who understand each other and me. Need to rest.

It is an incredible thing indeed. To spend so much of one's life being misunderstood and wander into a place like this and find you have so much in common with each other. :cool:

It's a PLAY! Live! Won't the showings be chaos? This is a train going straight for a wall!

He's a puppet - quite easy to deal with.

Put him in a box.
So are you agreeing with the general consensus (Present company excluded) that the playwright is proposing that we are "disposable people?" Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are trying to convey but your post is confusing to me. I find this as disturbing as the idea of prenatal scans to determine if a child will be autistic for the purpose of aborting said pregnancies as I do the idea of this play.

I believe he's being sarcastic... or speaking ironically.. One of the ones where he doesn't mean it and implies it's what they (the play people) believe and that he doesn't like it. :cool:

Sorry that I'm a bit late to this discussion, but this is absurd and evil. I hope that this play fails. The abuse shown is just disgusting, especially since it is advertised as a good way to deal with an autistic child.

New Threads

Top Bottom