• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Psychological trauma having weird effects?

Nomen Dubium

V.I.P Member
Okay, I can't go into too much detail here as to what the traumas I'm undergoing specifically are because some of them are still ongoing and I really don't want to talk about them. It's the 'side-effects' of the traumas I'm interested in because I've noticed a pattern to my behaviour whenever I have one and I'm wondering if it's just me that has these reactions.

Right, trauma number one: a very acrimonious split with my one and only ever girlfriend. I'm okay mentioning the details of this one because I've had counselling and to some degree I've been able to get over it. The relationship started okay but began to devolve within a year or so. I didn't know I was (probably) autistic, she didn't know either, neither of us knew anything about Klinefelter Syndrome (which is what I do have) or the way it can affect a person's behaviour. With hindsight I can say I spent the entirety of the relationship engaging in masking behavior and paying very close attention to what she was saying and what her wants and needs were, not because I was head-over-heels in love with her (I wasn't), but because I wanted the relationship to continue and in order to do that I had to at least mimic a functional human being. Of course, it eventually came crashing down because all deceits do. I won't go into why I dragged a doomed relationship out as long as I did, because that's not the subject here.

The point is, as the relationship approached its nadir I became suicidal, which is what I received psychological counselling for. The break-up was horrible, with shouting, screaming and cursing from her side, and, basically, terror-filled muteness on my part. I simply couldn't speak up for myself - I could barely speak at all, in fact; just sat there and took it. All of a sudden, during this crashing and burning... I could no longer stand to have milk in my coffee. I know, this is completely out of left field, but out of nowhere the thought of having milk in coffee revolted me to the point where I couldn't stomach it anymore. During the relationship - and my entire life prior to it - coffee had been a milky experience. When the relationship ended, so did milky coffee. I did say this was weird. To this day, thirteen years later, I haven't had a single drop of milk in my coffee. It's as if a switch was thrown in my head.

Trauma number two is quite recent. It happened in August of 2018 and it's still ongoing, so I'm not going to go into any detail. Suffice to say it included a suicide attempt, carries life-altering consequences and came as profound a shock to me as trauma number one... and suddenly I not only wanted to wear a baseball cap - I craved a baseball cap. I needed to have one on my head.

I have never, ever, prior to this, been a hat wearer. Before this, hats made my head itch. If I had a hat on my head, I felt it every moment it was there. It was uncomfortable, it blocked my view, it felt unnatural and I didn't like it. But now, out of nowhere, I was so desperate for a hat - and, specifically, a baseball cap, that I had to go online and search for exactly the hat I needed, going so far as to buy one from an international vendor and getting it shipped over here at exorbitant price. For reference, I live in England and the hat vendor is in the USA. Again, it was a deep need - completely illogical and coming as if a switch had been thrown. The hat and I are now inseparable and I feel naked without it.

Trauma number three is the most recent. It happened scarcely a week ago and is a direct consequence of trauma number two. The events are related; another crash-and-burn moment. Prior to its arrival I'd been a fairly heavy consumer of alcohol - beer and ale, to be specific, not the 'hard' stuff. And now, yet again, the switch seems to have been thrown. Another trauma seems to have had a completely random, roll-of-the-dice effect on me: I no longer have any urge to drink beer. Indeed, the desire for it that the sight of a bottle once had seems to have evaporated. Physically this is probably beneficial - the instant diminishing of an addiction, something I'd thought was impossible. But here we are. I used to down several bottles a night, every night of the week. Trauma number three arrived and suddenly there's no craving and I barely even think of booze. The switch has been thrown again.

Is any of this remotely normal? Black coffee, hats and going on the wagon? What will happen next time? It seems totally random.

Thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Are you associating the objects you suddenly cannot stand with the trauma you experienced? There are places I can no longer go without panicking and having a meltdown because of trauma, and many things i avoid for a long time if not forever if they are reminders of traumatic experiences.

The baseball cap thing, though is harder for me to guess at.... perhaps you are giving yourself a “fresh start” in symbolic way using concrete objects? I have switched things up for no other reason than to feel that things were different and safer now, not like the terrifying and painful times of the past.

Last edited:
The trouble with milk in coffee is that it glues itself to one's teeth. I still drink a coffee with milk but I brush my teeth immediately after. I wish I had never taken it up in the first place. The booze thing seems to echo the self cleansing. The hat thing, I'm not sure but is there anything especially wrong with wearing a hat anyway?

You've changed Nomen, it's part of life. I used tp think I would never change but I have, over time. It was a little shocking for me too.

On the surface it may seem odd, but as an Aspie I don't think it really is that strange for us. I believe we have a tendency to develop strong associations (perhaps subconsciously). We also tend to be very on/off about certain things. Seemingly unrelated things become associated with some feeling or memory. It can be positive or negative, like a favorite object that comforts us or an aversion like your sudden dislike of milk in the coffee. You see a similar sudden craving or aversion in Pregnant women btw, which is curious, but I imagine due to a different mechanism (chemical) and also often only (fortunately) temporary. My wife for example suddenly couldn't stomach the thought of chocolate, which seemed a cruel fate, as up to that point it was a great favorite with her. Thankfully it didn't last. I quit drinking alcohol early on when I associated it with getting sick. I had a weak stomach and it happened easily to me. I still might have one glass of wine at a special occasion but still eye the glass with suspicion.

I find it interesting that you're aware enough to notice these changes as being at a similar time as the trauma and that you connect the two.

But my first guess is that your mind is looking for something it can control in the face of something uncontrollable. It's a distraction your mind creates to focus some of your excess emotions towards and to give you back some lost power.

That was my first thought anyway.
But I feel as if I've had these sorts of things and did not take note of them.

Sometimes things turn into a security blanket or lucky item. So having a special hat is your rabbit's foot. To function you need that during the day. I have a special thing that l feel secure with, some people carry things in their purse. The hat is symbolic because it protects your head and your feelings l guess. You have associated trauma with habits and to forget you disassociate. l do this with traumatic events. Just a guess, only you know the real reason.

There probably is some type of subconscious association with the items to something in the trauma.
You might try to be detached in looking at the item and something it relates to in the trauma.

The hat is a direct memory for me with the first guy I ever dated.
He had been an addict, but, was doing well when I met him. He lived with his parents.
He always had one of those bucket hats on everywhere he went, unless he was in the house.
I ask him about it one day as I told him he was handsome and the hat covered his hair and facial
features to where no one could see him well.
I told him I felt the hat was a security item for him.
He thought about it and agreed. He had an attachment to that certain hat and felt sheltered
by it in public.
One day he took it off and found he didn't feel insecure without it.
He had a very controlling mother who was always putting him down. Maybe that was his
shelter from the put downs? Don't know. But, it rang true with him.

I think Fino is right. Your mind found something it could control in the midst of an uncontrollable situation.

Also: my favorite musician released an album right at the beginning of my last breakup (a horrible relationship and a horrible breakup), and I listened to it over and over during that time. I haven’t been able to play it since. I can’t even look at the record cover without feeling uncomfortable and anxious even though I have no feelings anymore about the guy or the breakup. So I’m guessing that your mind just associates things (e.g. the coffee milk) with negative experiences, causing you to avoid the associated thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom