• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems with articulation

WildCat

V.I.P Member
I'm just curious to know, does anyone have issues with "spitting it out" or finding the right words to use?

This is a problem that's plagued me for God knows how long...I've had people tell me that my written expression is an order of magnitude better than my verbal expression, and even then I'm still rough around the edges. It's not a problem with the actual speech; rather, I have a tendency to present in this stunted, awkward fashion. Sorta like the dork that lost his glasses and dropped his textbooks, finds his glasses, then notices the cheerleader in front of him (no offense, just trying to build my point), but a bit worse. I know there were certain individuals in the past who thought I was some kind of simple-minded recluse, yet when I typed a damn near monologue on something it turned heads like, "well he's quiet but damn...". Yeah.

Is is linked to my mediocre social skills? Lack of practice?

I just watched something about this on the youtube channel: autisimhangout, on the latest "ask Dr. Tony" Attwood section. He seems to think it is linked to anxiety and sensory issues that cause distraction when when trying to verbalize thoughts. I'd probably go along with the anxiety part as you have to worry about watching response ques, modulate vocal tone and rhythm...etc.

He seems to think it is linked to anxiety and sensory issues that cause distraction when when trying to verbalize thoughts.

I would agree with that. I experience this myself. I am good at speaking it's just getting the words out without a mumble that is the problem.

Yeah I think anxiety and sensory issues definitely can cause major problems. That is how it is like with me. I do have time when I find difficulty in articulating myself, but it's typically when there is something that is distracting me and keeping me from being able to concentrate. It's all really about my comfort level, like usual. The more comfortable I am, the better my functioning.

Same here. I feel like I can be very eloquent in writing but like a complete stumblebum when it comes to face-to-face communication. I feel like I'd barely have any social outlet at all if it wasn't for the internet.

Eye contact is one of the things that makes face-to-face interaction a little uncomfortable for me. I think that, if I could get away with it, whenever I was sitting down and talking with someone, I would just stare down at my lap most of the time.

Last edited:
He seems to think it is linked to anxiety and sensory issues that cause distraction when when trying to verbalize thoughts.

Yeah, it's probably all due to that damn distraction brought on by anxiety and sensory issues.

I needed speech therapy as a kid. I think that helped a lot - learning to be confident in projecting my voice and forming words.

I think the deficits in working memory (that many of us have) don't help. I sometimes even lose track of what I am talking about mid-sentence if there are any distractions or if there is something else on my mind. It is a lot harder to lose track of what you are typing or writing because the record is right there in black-and-white.

Eye contact is one of the things that makes face-to-face interaction a little uncomfortable for me. I think that, if I could get away with it, whenever I was sitting down and talking with someone, I would just stare down at my lap most of the time.

Me too. I can concentrate/think better and express myself better when I look away from someone. I think it has to do with being overwhelmed with all the sensory and social anxiety stuff, I think. Sometimes, I feel like they can read my thoughts and they will see I'm confused or that I feel I'm violating someone's privacy as I hate when people look at me too intensely. It feels like a animal eying it's prey before attacking. At times it feels like an aggressive stare.

I have a very bad case with articulation and i must hesitate for 8 - 20 secs to find the right word/s and it really kills me!

How you explained it is exactly how it is for me.

People probably think I'm stupid by the way I can't articulate what I'm thinking properly. I can write what I'm thinking down, sure, but for the life of me, I can't say what I'm thinking correctly.
People have also told me that I write exceptionally well, considering my lack of articulating ability. Once my teacher found out that I wasn't actually stupid, he's bent on trying to make me talk in class.

I had a lot of speech therapy as a child. I had delayed speech, and before I started speaking properly I had my own language. I can't hear certainly letters. L, D, T. There are others although I can't think of them at the moment.

My speech is quite good considering and people never think I have speech problems. They just think I have an accent. My speech is odd though as I use lots of glottal stops and approximants.

When I first met my wife at an autism seminar, she thought I was Scandinavian. (I'm from oxford!)

I have this problem too, and it does NOT help when the person you are speaking to says, "Well! Spit it out!!!". I might as well just walk away at that point! :/

I also have a problem with verbal articulation. I find that I am a good writer, and often people are amazed and shocked when they read my writing. For me social environments seem to be worse given more people. For example, if I am speaking with just one other individual I can usually do alright (depending on other social variables of course). When I am in a room with 60+ people, and I am expected to speak, it's a nightmare; I usually remain silent and speak as little as possible.

I also have a problem with verbal articulation. I find that I am a good writer, and often people are amazed and shocked when they read my writing. For me social environments seem to be worse given more people. For example, if I am speaking with just one other individual I can usually do alright (depending on other social variables of course). When I am in a room with 60+ people, and I am expected to speak, it's a nightmare; I usually remain silent and speak as little as possible.

Same here. I have blown my English professor's minds with my papers that I write, but when I speak directly I think I come across like a moron.

It's very hard for me to speak to people. I tend to stumble & mumble over my words & sometimes my mind goes blank & I can't find any words to say at all. That's why I like writing so much: it gives me a much easier & better way to express myself accurately.

I have problems with unrehearsed, spontaneous speech. I tend to stammer and even forget words. Apparently I must have had a speech impediment because I remember going to the speech therapist in second grade. I am much better with written communication because I can take my time and choose the words I want to say.

If I could have the ability to speak and make a quick response as well as I can type a response, I think I wouled be so much happier and confident in my life. I have had people say I'm a genius, or that I am the smartest person they know. Most of these comments only come from tutorials and the internet.

It's in these enviroments I seem to be eloquent. One of the girls I know stated the following. "you're so ****ing eloquent, it's as if you could write an essay at the drop of a hat" In Reality when it comes to discussion on something I am un prepared for, or my memory recollection isn't up to scratch, I am all over the place, and will say several things, till I start to get a decent line out.

I do think stress and sensory distractions play a huge part in this. I don't usually have any problem speaking, except when I am overwhelmed by emotions at which point I can't force words out, and if i do they are halting and loud. I had speech therapy for a couple of years as a child for stammering, and a bad lisp. I can speak in front of large audiences. I have even taught. A lot of it has to do with being prepared. While I can do that, sometimes it is hard for me to talk in a group of people like at lunch with my bike club. And if someone keeps interrupting me I will stop talking, and usually withdraw. If I am actively doing something, it is much easier for me to talk to people. I think that may be because I am not required to make eye contact. For instance: I am very friendly and outgoing when I am cycling with a group, even with riders I don't know, but once the ride is done, I usually just leave quickly, rather than stand around and chat.

I think it's pretty much normal for people on the spectrum to have this issue. Our brain might need just a little more time to process all the visual and auditory information in addition to that we have to think what we need to say. The first thing that I did - just accepted the fact that I get confused a lot. Sometimes I just say to a person - you know, hold on, my brain is not working today or something like that :) I know it's not going to work for everyone :) anyway, I still have this issue sometimes, lots of times :) I decided not to be embarrassed, it is a part of who I am. Another thing - practice might make it better ( for most people I believe) . I know that the more I talk the better I'm at it, words start flowing without any efforts. Another thing - writing might help with speech as well, but not just random messages or email, something creative, something challenging. I noticed that the more I write the better my speech becomes as well. I'm not sure how it works exactly but it works for me. If you have good and bad sensory days, use your good days to practice communication. If you're concerned about people judging you, you can always tell them, that you have ASD ( or whatever your diagnosis is) and that you mind is not always in sync, or something like that. When I say it people mostly try to relate it and reply something like, "yeah, I also have bad days when my head's not working" or something. All the nice folks will always try to be understanding, as for the mean ones, who cares about them:)

New Threads

Top Bottom