• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems at work...seems like a dead end for ASD in the workplace :(

discochris

This is my first post on this site. I don't know where else to go.

I've recently been working as an IT Support Technician at a fairly large compnay, and despite being very technical, it seems like I am doomed to be fired.
I don't know what it is with other employees, but they just can't seem to leave me alone, and when I'm finally fed up and retaliate I always seem to be the one who is in the hotseat for it. I'm not the best at verbally articulating myself when I'm not entirely trusting (and I don't trust anyone at work), so things are getting worse. I've had one verbal warning for being abrasive and now probably a written (which prevents me from transfering to my coveted job as database developer). I've submitted ADA (American's with Disabilities Act) paperwork, but other than a brief email from HR it hasn't amounted to anything. I feel bullied, singled out, and made to feel stupid by other employees, but I'm always the one in the hot seat. I OBSESS of my job, learning every nook and cranny of everything I can get my hands on, and regulary try to take on whatever work I can.

It feels so hopeless :( I don't understand how I can constantly be alienated and felt like I'm bullied, but if I snap back in anyway its instantly to my boss. I can't get anyone there to understand.

The technical aspects of my job are a non-issue, I can do it in my sleep, it just takes so much effort to try and get along with coworkers, but every strategy I try ends in failure. I put so much of myself into my work, but its wearing me down to be constantly criticized and have no one understand me. I've been depressed for the majority of the time I've worked here. I just don't know what to do anymore.

It feels like there is no hope for employment. I always run into these problems. I'm so depressed I can barely make it to work.

I'm sorry...i just had to get this out to people that may understand. I don't know if I can take it much longer...

Hello, Chris!

The first thing I want to say is that you're not alone. Many of us have had trouble in the workplace.

The second thing: have you considered counseling? I think seeing someone may help you identify exactly what your trust issues are and how to resolve them. You'd get help for your depression too.

May I suggest writing your feelings in a journal? It'd help you deal with your anger and frustration so you don't bring them to work. Try writing out hypothetical workplace conversations in order to learn how to express yourself better.

Now, I don't know the details of your situation, but I don't think most of your coworkers actually mean to bully you. It probably just feels that way. What do your colleagues do, exactly, when you say they won't leave you alone? Do they insult you? Harass you? Or do they just set you off without intending it?

Don't give up hope. You can keep moving forward, and you will, with the right support and the right tools. Best wishes, and welcome. :)

I am in exactly the same position. By experience I can tell you this has the potential to make a person very very angry and in danger of even lashing out. Fortunately since I self diagnosed myself with HFA some months ago, I can now understand why all of this happens. In the past I had no idea what was going on and just assumed I was hopeless or something.
My job is quite insecure at the moment and I took time out on holiday leave. I had to fill an application form in again yesterday as the company now has new management and I wondered about the disability part of the form but felt had I gone ahead and disclosed all of this, I'd be out of a job. The way it worded seemed to me like clever jargon to root out people who could be problematic to the outfit.
In a strange way I seem to be very liked by some and disliked by others. And lately a lot of people seem to be even a bit scared of me and I have no idea how it is I seem to stand out so much.
I now got to a kind of point where I decided no longer to let it bother me. If they sack me, they sack me. In the past I used to get quite angry and even sued one firm but now I figure life is way too short to lash out at those who really need to get a grip and become a bit more tolerant of diversity. I really have come to embrace the whole concept that so long as you do what's right and not sacrifice your values and ethics, what may seem to you like a nightmare at present may soon lead to new doors opening up. Basically you are being unfairly treated because you stand out as different. It's not you that has a problem specifically it it those who are discriminating. So long as you are fair and try to iron out anything that you may do that may be a problem at work your conscience is clear.
My advice having gone through much of this is find your quiet inner confidence and let it all wash around you rather than allow yourself to get angry and anxious. Also sometimes people get jealous. You may be very good at what you do and maybe honest and even liked by someone higher up so others may try to put you down and attack your stability.
Again, make your point calmly and politely but avoid a fight. Sometimes when you're not phased people just give up and finally accept you (if they're worth working for in the first place).

This is my first post on this site. I don't know where else to go.

I've recently been working as an IT Support Technician at a fairly large compnay, and despite being very technical, it seems like I am doomed to be fired.
I don't know what it is with other employees, but they just can't seem to leave me alone, and when I'm finally fed up and retaliate I always seem to be the one who is in the hotseat for it. I'm not the best at verbally articulating myself when I'm not entirely trusting (and I don't trust anyone at work), so things are getting worse. I've had one verbal warning for being abrasive and now probably a written (which prevents me from transfering to my coveted job as database developer). I've submitted ADA (American's with Disabilities Act) paperwork, but other than a brief email from HR it hasn't amounted to anything. I feel bullied, singled out, and made to feel stupid by other employees, but I'm always the one in the hot seat. I OBSESS of my job, learning every nook and cranny of everything I can get my hands on, and regulary try to take on whatever work I can.

It feels so hopeless :( I don't understand how I can constantly be alienated and felt like I'm bullied, but if I snap back in anyway its instantly to my boss. I can't get anyone there to understand.

The technical aspects of my job are a non-issue, I can do it in my sleep, it just takes so much effort to try and get along with coworkers, but every strategy I try ends in failure. I put so much of myself into my work, but its wearing me down to be constantly criticized and have no one understand me. I've been depressed for the majority of the time I've worked here. I just don't know what to do anymore.

It feels like there is no hope for employment. I always run into these problems. I'm so depressed I can barely make it to work.

I'm sorry...i just had to get this out to people that may understand. I don't know if I can take it much longer...

Welcome to AC Chris.

My own observation in working in corporate environments over several decades is pretty simple. Co-workers in non-technical capacities tend to be rather insecure about the few technical aspects of their own jobs where they are neither knowledgeable or in control. Inevitably they unintentionally vent their frustrations and feelings of helplessness directly at tech support.

Not at all fair, but it is what it is. About the only constructive thing I can say is to be cognizant of corporate cultures as prospective employers. Some are apt to look upon IT departments as equals, and still others may look upon them as menial support.

I've worked on both sides of these fences having gone from a stodgy insurance company to a trendy entertainment software developer. It was like going from the dark of night to the light of day. The trick being to find that corporate culture where everyone is treated with equal respect rather than to endure some silly and bizarre pecking-order. Of course in this economy I do realize it's not an easy prospect to go job-hopping. However sometimes it can be the most liberating thing one can imagine. An option to consider, anyways.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel. It always starts with a Performance improvement plan, then write-ups then termination. I received the first PIP at my job today... UGH. The reasoning for their PIP is the following: Unable to resolve conflict with co-workers and needs supervisor to resolve (I tried on 4 separate occasions with this person who was shirking her duties - and got nowhere)

Calls coworkers outside of normal working hours (they called or emailed me and asked me to call)

oh the list goes on and on... if I hadn't brought this lazy coworker to their attention - I never would have had a problem.

I don't know what to do either.

am sighned off work now not fit to work because of situation am in am scared to go back to work ive heard all the excuses now its time for me am exhausted

I don't have any answers but am in a similar situation. I think maybe the only solution for me is to work in a different environment altogether where personality issues aren't as big a factor. Also as I get older I just lack the patience to deal with what seems to me to be school playground behaviour. I mean, to me, management is about getting people to work to their best ability through a positive, constructive atmosphere. What I actually see around me, though, at work is too much negativity, ego obsession and sub standard productivity.

Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel. It always starts with a Performance improvement plan, then write-ups then termination. I received the first PIP at my job today... UGH. The reasoning for their PIP is the following: Unable to resolve conflict with co-workers and needs supervisor to resolve (I tried on 4 separate occasions with this person who was shirking her duties - and got nowhere)

Calls coworkers outside of normal working hours (they called or emailed me and asked me to call)

oh the list goes on and on... if I hadn't brought this lazy coworker to their attention - I never would have had a problem.

I don't know what to do either.

New Threads

Top Bottom