• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Preparing for interview

Fluttershy

Ugh. So I have an interview tomorrow. I know I'm a good worker but I get massive anxiety and draw huge blanks when I have interviews. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions to prepare? I've been trying to read interview questions but there's always something that throws me off.

Edit: Whoops. Just realized there's another topic about this.

Last edited:
To give better advice it might be a good idea (as long as it's not something you're uncomfortable with) to tell us what position you're applying for ;), I was always good with interviews but each industry has their own preferences,

...each industry has their own preferences,

This made me think of my first retail (sales at a mall) interview last year. I've never worked in retail and they started asking me questions about how I interact with people. I froze! LOL
It was very awkward. Didn't get the job either.

If really can't hide how nervous you are, and you're acting really nervous, I guess you should explain that you get nervous in interviews, but that it won't be a problem within the job. Learning what kind of questions are usually asked in interviews and finding the answer in advance, learning as much about the company as you can, practicing your answers in front of the mirror, etc. would help too. Besides that, we would have to know what kind of job you applied for to actually help you.

Most interviewers are actually friendly people and putting you at ease is part of their job, if that reassures you.

Script and rehearse your answers and be sure to repeatedly include words and phrases included in their job description, for example, if they wan't someone with communication skills mention your good communication in multiple questions (if you have the opportunity) and be sure to have examples of how you have used your skills and achieved good results. Don't be frightened to repeat yourself, you want your best qualities to stick in their minds. Do lots of research on the company and the role and include mentions of things like the 'company values' in your answers. Don't stay up late worrying the night before, be sure to get lots of sleep. Plan to get their at least half an hour early. If you are greeted by a receptionist make an effort to be cheerful and polite, they might be asked for their impression of you.
Remember, everyone of your interviewers has been in exactly the same position as you in the past, they understand that interviews are very stressful and won't judge you for being nervous (unless they're arseholes, in which case you probably don't want to work for them anyway).

Well, I had the interview a bit ago. Reading questions online helped me develop a script but I still struggled with being visibly anxious (shaking a little), and repeating myself. I felt like some of my answers were a little vague of generic. I have such a hard time thinking on the spot under pressure. One of the questions kind of threw me off. I stumbled a little with it.
I've been at my current job for 10 years (a library) and my interview was with a different library. So I was pretty familiar with the procedures. It's just the pressure of the interview. I wish I could develop the ability to think on the spot under pressure. I had nightmares about it all night.

If really can't hide how nervous you are, and you're acting really nervous, I guess you should explain that you get nervous in interviews, but that it won't be a problem within the job. Learning what kind of questions are usually asked in interviews and finding the answer in advance, learning as much about the company as you can, practicing your answers in front of the mirror, etc. would help too. Besides that, we would have to know what kind of job you applied for to actually help you.

Most interviewers are actually friendly people and putting you at ease is part of their job, if that reassures you.
I agree! Acknowledging nervousness in an interview is rarely an admission of weakness (unless you are interviewing for TV presenter or something). The interview is an environment of heightened anxiety, like an exam. It helps me to admit to my anxiety. I do prepare answers, but not to the point where I have memorized responses. I think of useful 'talking points', key words, and personal anecdotes/ examples that I might need. I try to understand the system/vision of the organization involved. I find out what I can about the actual position I'm seeking. For the interview, I make sure that I have a bottle of water (my meds + anxiety make my mouth very dry), a folder or clipboard with paper and pen, my best attire (that's still in the realm of workplace approp). Shaking hands can be kept resting on a table (or your folder, if there isn't a table). You can pause to take a sip of water whenever you need to do so. By all means, during the interview, jot down anything that will help when being asked detailed/ behavioral questions. I frame the whole interview experience as a challenge for me to show them my strengths. I'm not begging for anything (even tho sometimes I've really wanted/needed the job). I have what they need! My job is to show them that. Even while nervous, a person can project confidence, enthusiasm, and gratitude for the opportunity to take part in the interview. Body language is important-- open body position, eye contact with panel members, smiling appropriately... I am a true believer that most Aspies can learn this 'killer interview presentation' just like we master so many other things. It was hard for me at first, but I've practiced and improved!

New Threads

Top Bottom