• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

I had an old German mate that told me in Germany a shifting spanner is called an Englander. He said only the Poms could invent a spanner that buggers every nut you use it on and yet no toolkit is complete without one. :)
They are referred to as 'nut ruiner'. Dad's hoarding means we have multiple sets of the four main 'systems': B.A., Metric, AF and Whitworth. The latter we used to annoy people overseas by using it on exported vehicles!

In North America, a shifter operates gears, and they can sometimes be fixed using an adjustable or Crescent (tm) wrench. It helps a lot if you tighten the adjuster for each hard pull.
BTW, a small boat magazine did a review of all the "Liquid Wrench" penetrating oils, and found that a 50 - 50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone was far better than anything else. It just needs shaking before use.

spannerjoke.thumb.webp.f7fb72f35e787e9ad7788f3f8b93589e.jpg

My friend Don gets frustrated as a mechanic, so I asked him if he wanted to borrow my throwing wrenches.

They are referred to as 'nut ruiner'. Dad's hoarding means we have multiple sets of the four main 'systems': B.A., Metric, AF and Whitworth. The latter we used to annoy people overseas by using it on exported vehicles!

Here they are known as "the last resort". It's the last thing you try or use before you start smashing things with a hammer. Those things were designed to ruin nuts. It's an emergency tool, when you have nothing else, you use the nut ruiner.

Here they are known as "the last resort". It's the last thing you try or use before you start smashing things with a hammer. Those things were designed to ruin nuts.
The old German friend was a boilermaker/building fabricator. I said one day "If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you need a bigger hammer."

He said "Nah, if it can't be fixed with a hammer you use an axe." and pointed at the oxy acetelene setup. :)

The old German friend was a boilermaker/building fabricator. I said one day "If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you need a bigger hammer."

He said "Nah, if it can't be fixed with a hammer you use an axe." and pointed at the oxy acetelene setup. :)

Yeah I think it goes like this: shifting spanner --> hammer --> oxy acetylene --> dynamite.

I have owned two rulers with inches that were off by several percent. There was also the day I went to an old-fashioned hardware store with clerks bringing stuff to the counter, and asked for a try square. He brought a Stanley brand, considered one of the better ones. Expecting to admire it, I used it to square a piece of paper to the counter edge, and then flipped it over. It was about a degree out. The clerk just shrugged and put it back on the shelf.

I have owned two rulers with inches that were off by several percent. There was also the day I went to an old-fashioned hardware store with clerks bringing stuff to the counter, and asked for a try square. He brought a Stanley brand, considered one of the better ones. Expecting to admire it, I used it to square a piece of paper to the counter edge, and then flipped it over. It was about a degree out. The clerk just shrugged and put it back on the shelf.
This is exactly why many of my tools are old. The woodworking square I use is ancient with brass inserts in the wooden part. Engineering square-wise I use old Moore & Wright items probably from the sixties.

This is exactly why many of my tools are old. The woodworking square I use is ancient with brass inserts in the wooden part. Engineering square-wise I use old Moore & Wright items probably from the sixties.
That happened about fifty years ago. Most of my tools are carefully selected bargains. When I really want accuracy for setting a machine, I use draftsman's squares. Far better value per degree of error. I have a Stanley jack plane with the original price tag still stuck on it, for about $6.75. They just don't make stickers like they used to.
Actually, it was from the estate of a lawyer, who did very little handyman work, except, over the course of a busy and frequently uprooted life, he found ways to use all the bits of a player piano that he had dismantled at school.

First sight of a laptop.
I've witnessed a few incidences like this myself. It's uplifting to see the looks of wonder and amazement on people's faces. For a lot of very remote communities in Australia the very first white people they saw had 4WD and two way radios, so a lot of these sorts of interactions happened.

One of the stories I liked most though was from a large property owner in central Australia. His kids had never seen the ocean so he took them for a holiday up in Darwin. On first sight his 11 year old daughter said "Wow dad! Check out the size of that dam.".

Ishi was the last California native who had avoided contact with white people until he was the last of his tribe. He wound up more or less adopted by an Anthropology department. Anyway, after about a month of getting acquainted and swapping languages, his hosts decided to take him to see the ocean for the first time. They came out on some bluffs overlooking a beach, and Ishi gasped in amazement, not at the ocean, which he had always heard about, but that there could be that many humans in the world.

Why it's Gilbert and Lorraine.
FQKx2enUYAUZ5bj

He should look happier. Gilbert was always very weird, extremely weird actually.

Classic Crew.
iu

Still holds up. A testament to the show's writing, AND acting.

I don't know what the context is, (I forget the episodes) but she looks happy, I always enjoyed her skits. Both Talented + PRETTY. Not to detract from the other two...I enjoyed them too. But Lorraine def my favorite. By a long shot.
giphy.gif

New Threads

Top Bottom