• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

Hmm, how would I describe the tone quality of this instrument? Photo taken many moons ago along Kentucky's Country Music Highway, where else?

Attachments

• Picture 323.jpg
    Picture 323.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
In Australia the term is Soft Drinks. We also don't eat crackers, they're called Dry Biscuits.
Another term difference, in Australia kids love Lollies, in the US these are called Candy, in Britain they are called Sweets. In Britain the word Lolly refers to what we call a flavoured ice block.

I live in Massachusetts (I think you all know that lol)
Apparently a lot of people call soft drinks "tonic" here but I haven't heard a lot of people call it that. Some people here actually do say "pop" too. I've always referred to it as "soda."

Another term difference, in Australia kids love Lollies, in the US these are called Candy, in Britain they are called Sweets. In Britain the word Lolly refers to what we call a flavoured ice block.
"Flavored ice block" sounds so unappetizing lol!
We call them "popsicles" here too, and there is a variation of them called "ice cream bars" which are basically the same thing but made of ice cream.

A typical Aussie? :)
He was an incredibly nice man, and a Viet Nam veteran. The picture is from an Australia Day celebration in a very rural pub. Little girls, the publican's daughters, put the wig on him. When I went to take his picture he said "If you want my picture you'll have to pay me for it." and put his hand out.

Click! Then I edited the pic to include the words and got a friend to print it out, it got pinned on the public notice board at the pub.

Note, many people have different versions of the word "rural". There was no town in this region, the pub was also the only shop, the post office, the petrol station, and the hub of the community.

I live in Massachusetts (I think you all know that lol)
Apparently a lot of people call soft drinks "tonic" here but I haven't heard a lot of people call it that. Some people here actually do say "pop" too. I've always referred to it as "soda."

Intriguing.

Locally, restaurant menus usually list "soft drink" but when talking, the usual colloquial term is "pop" as with the rest of the Pacific Northwest.

And then there's Quebec with their boisson gazeuse which just literally translates as... carbonated beverage.

The city of Adelaide has a relatively low skyline. There is no restriction on height but there are severe restrictions on weight. There is a huge aquifer under the city and if buildings are too heavy it will sink.

It is also a very dry region that often suffers water shortages yet the parklands all around the city are constantly watered in order to ensure that the aquifer remains full. No one is allowed to extract water from that aquifer.

city-of-adelaide-aerial-oval-skyline.jpg

Someone was building a road and found this, it's the oldest known runestone, 2000 years old. It was found in a grave and it seems to say "For Idiberug", it's most likely a womans name. Could be a surname. So that's interesting. It's an unusual stone, it also has the beginning of the rune alphabet carved into it for some reason and the runes look a little different than they usually do.

iu

iu

Last edited:
The city of Adelaide has a relatively low skyline. There is no restriction on height but there are severe restrictions on weight. There is a huge aquifer under the city and if buildings are too heavy it will sink.

It is also a very dry region that often suffers water shortages yet the parklands all around the city are constantly watered in order to ensure that the aquifer remains full. No one is allowed to extract water from that aquifer.

View attachment 94489
Would that Florida law forbade the extraction of water from her aquifers.

I believe in the dry Western US, there are places the aquifers have been drained dry to grow crops.

New Threads

Top Bottom