• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Positive experience dating someone on spectrum

sisselcakes

V.I.P Member
This site has helped me so much that I wanted to share my experience

I am an NT and have been dating a guy for over a year who I suspect is on the spectrum. An opportunity finally came up to broach the subject and he agreed with me that he has some traits that have caused him trouble in work and relationships.

The beginning of our relationship was very challenging. I mentioned this to some coworkers the other day and they thought it was strange because conventional wisdom is that starting a new relationship should be easy and fun.

It has been the opposite for me. The beginning was stressful but as we've gotten to know each other better. We are both very happy. I'm so grateful I stuck it out. I have learned so much about myself. He's very observant and has pointed out things I never realized. He's also a good example for me in terms of managing the challenges I have with my own ADHD. He's great at keeping track of things, being disciplined at taking care of his health, and setting boundaries with people. He doesn't put up with crap!

I came on here looking for answers and found very helpful feedback. I also read like crazy many books that I could find on the subject. It helped me understand him a lot better so I didn't take things as personally. When I stopped being so sensitive, he got less defensive and we were more able to discuss things openly.

He still says things that hurt my feelings sometimes but I have learned to step back, and let him chill out. Then I broach the subject later on when I'm less emotional and he's not on overload.

I realize that my experience may differ greatly from others' but I hope that before giving up on a potentially great relationship, both NTs and those with ASD know it's possible to work things out in some cases. In my case, education, patience, feedback from others, and a few therapy therapy sessions helped immensely.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I must say, this is actually pretty awesome and honestly, I'm glad this site has helped answered some of the unanswered questions that you've been dealing with. That was the whole point of it as it seems.

It seems you needed was to have patience, it seems to be paying off. :D

That is awesome! It makes such a nice change from all the posts that we read about NTs only writing about their struggles in an NT Aspie relationship, and then we hear no more. I am so happy for you!

New Threads

Top Bottom