• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please help with a special interest of mine-share the knowledge (if you have it)

PastelPetals

V.I.P Member
Hello!
I am quite fascinated with food branding and rare products. If you are aware of any websites that contain lists of branded food items, store branded items, or rare food items please send them my way. They can range from quite ordinary like wikipedia pages or actual brand websites to the obscure (maybe there are websites I have never seen from people with similar obsessions.)

I like organized lists so while I enjoy browsing grocery store websites that is not the aim here.

Thank you! I know this is a strange request but I figured if there was ever a place to ask it would be here.

I always go for interesting items that stand out from the norm. Similarly with visiting different shops and eateries - because it's nice to experience different foods and such like.

Ed

Here is a favorite of mine. Idaho Spuds. Freeze dried hash browns. Something in the process affects the starch. I can have these in the morning and my blood sugar rarely goes above 164. Potatoes | Idaho® Spuds I buy mine at Costco.

Here is an unusual item: Star Thistle Mead. Star Thistle Ambrosia - St Ambrose Cellars Dry, spicy and very aromatic. Star Thistle is actually Spotted Knapweed, an invasive, but bees love it. My favorite from St. Ambrose is their Black Madonna, their mead mixed with tart blackberry juice. Great on hot days. Very refreshing.

They are a short way away from me. Once a Bee swarm landed near my patio. My spouse called St. Ambrose and one of their beekepers came over to collect them. She gave us a bit of lemon honey in trade. I was amazed - she patted down the mass of bees that were on the ground with her bare hands, found the queen, put her in a hive, and the swarm followed.

BTW, check out Czimers in Las Vegas Large Game - Czimers

Last edited:
Okay, the weirdest things, is my parents fruitcake which was doused with rum for about a year, then given to others. Reindeer sausage in Finland, or that's pretty much it. Or maybe brains which my mom served us, traditionally called sweetbreads.

Last edited:
Okay, the weirdest things, is my parents fruitcake which was doused with rum for about a year, then given to others. Reindeer sausage in Finland, or that's pretty much it. Or maybe brains which my mom served us, traditionally called sweetbreads.
Fruitcake! That perennial star of Christmas jokes. I like a good fruitcake and always get one from the Collin Street Bakery Collin Street Bakery | Collin Street Bakery

Last edited:
You can find them while browsing international supermarket websites

Just add the country code at the end

So: walmart.com becomes Walmart.com.mx (for the Mexican Walmart)

Local superstores around the world, you could google grocery stores (city, country)

You can find them while browsing international supermarket websites
Just add the country code at the end
So: walmart.com becomes Walmart.com.mx (for the Mexican Walmart)
Local superstores around the world, you could google grocery stores (city, country)
We don't have Walmart here. :)

Walmart has killed a lot of good stores here
It's not much different here, it's just someone else got in first before we'd ever heard of Walmart. We did copy a few US business names so a lot of them might seem familiar but they are not in any way associated with US companies of the same name. Kmart for example, although it's a very similar type of store.

Here we have a duopoly, two large corporations that own everything and often get accused of collusion on prices.

Yes @Gerald Wilgus , it was a year ordeal, where the fruitcake would be retrieved from the closet, and the cheesecloth or whatever was wrapped, would be removed, and it would then have more rum soaked wrapper applied or reapplied, or wrapped, and then banished for another couple of months only to go through the same ordeal. Then it would be given to relatives, and my parents' closest friends. Now l just want anything made with cranberries as this is my favorite holiday flavor.

It's not much different here, it's just someone else got in first before we'd ever heard of Walmart. We did copy a few US business names so a lot of them might seem familiar but they are not in any way associated with US companies of the same name. Kmart for example, although it's a very similar type of store.

Here we have a duopoly, two large corporations that own everything and often get accused of collusion on prices.
Walmart employees are the largest single group taking government assistance. Each and every Walmart costs the taxpayers of their state between $500,000 to $1,000,000. The real Welfare Queens are the Waltons, not the minorities they point the finger at.

Back to the original poster's topic - weird or rare packaged foods.

Witchetty Grub Soup:
9216fa7b4e7dd7808a9ff54f85412a05.jpg

Witchetty Grub lollies for the kids:
ctc-witchetty-grubs-225x300.jpg

And for those that haven't seen them before, some witchetty grubs:
Witchetty-Grubs.jpg

Yes @Gerald Wilgus , it was a year ordeal, where the fruitcake would be retrieved from the closet, and the cheesecloth or whatever was wrapped, would be removed, and it would then have more rum soaked wrapper applied or reapplied, or wrapped, and then banished for another couple of months only to go through the same ordeal. Then it would be given to relatives, and my parents' closest friends. Now l just want anything made with cranberries as this is my favorite holiday flavor.
I love a good cranberry relish ever since I got my mother in law's recipe, Cranberries, sugar, orange (no white pulp), orange zest, lemon zest, coarsely chopped.

An area that I liked to ski at was near Black River Falls, Wisconsin. It is part of the Driftless Area, tall steep sandstone ridges surrounded by cranberry bogs. It is called the Driftless Area because the continental glacier got hung up on a quartzite ridge to the NE and the area was never bulldozed flat. The downhills off the ridges were screamers, but the runouts were straight so all you needed was to stay upright.

Must be beautiful to ski there. I was shocked by the natural beauty of Minnesota and Wisconsin. So many things to see and do in Wisconsin. Stillwater and Annadale are two of my favorite towns in Minnesota, just steeped in kitschy small antique town feel, with lots of water access, friendly town folk, country stores, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom