• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pie

@Outdated I think I would like the meat pies there.
Some people call for a pie here when they want pizza.
When I was a kid the only take aways we had were pies and pasties, or fish and chips. We didn't start to see pizza until the 70s. Pies were most popular simply for the practicality, they're very tasty and they can be eaten one handed while working or driving. Pies come in all sorts of flavours here too, one that might appeal to more Americans is the Chilli Cheese Steak pie.

I am of course familiar with a lot of US terminology, our TV stations were flooded with cheap and culturally inappropriate US shows from before I was born. Remember that to a kid growing up here it's the rest of the world that looks weird. :)

I love cherry pie and lemon pie (not lemon meringue.) I also like Boston creme and banana creme.
Pumpkin is okay but I hate the crust.

Just to give some of you something new to think about - Pavlova.

NEFF_Feature_Summer-pavlova.jpg

There is nothing better then a hot apple pie just exiting the oven. My grandmother who had limited kitchen space, use to buy frozen apple pie as a treat when l came over. I miss her so much.

Mention of cherry pie takes me back to my childhood when I was living with my grandparents and my bedroom had a really big window sill that I could sit on. Every Friday night I'd buy myself a big cherry pie and sit eating it while listening to Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show on BBC Radio, staring up at the night sky and studying astronomy.

I am a pie person as I have never been a big fan of cake. In my teens, I began making cream pies for family get togethers and the one I always got a request for was my Banana Cream. A paternal uncle closest to my age was a big fan and he was the one that usually put in a request.

It is one of the easiest pies to make as it only requires a pre-baked bottom crust, three bananas, a vanilla custard filling, and some freshly whipped cream (never from a spray can). Have not made it in ages though.

Years ago my mother was known for her "fruit pies". Much like this, but far more ornate with many more types of fruit, built on top of a cheesecake type base.

IMG_4653.JPG

Coconut Cream is one of my favorite kinds of pie. It was my dad's favorite pie, too. In fact one time he wanted it for his birthday instead of cake. But now that Dad is gone, coconut cream pie makes me a little sad.

We're having apple pie with our Thanksgiving meal this evening. We're having it today because of the storm warnings for tomorrow.

I love almost all pies...steak and kidney, chicken, beef, pork, etc...quiches...all berry, banana, apple, peach, pumpkin, pecan, etc. Probably the only pies I do not like are any made with fish, and I am not overly fond of chocolate (despite loving chocolate itself).

I love almost all pies...steak and kidney, chicken, beef, pork, etc...quiches...all berry, banana, apple, peach, pumpkin, pecan, etc. Probably the only pies I do not like are any made with fish, and I am not overly fond of chocolate (despite loving chocolate itself).

Not a fan of stargazer pie eh?

(For those not familiar with this English dish, it's a savory pie with sardines sticking out of it, looking up toward the skies and stars)

stargazey_pie_95306_16x9.jpg

I never tried it, but someday I would like to make a strawberry pie with a thick layer of mozzarella cheese inside. The pie would have a nice texture when freshly baked and I think it is a good flavor combination.

New Threads

Top Bottom