• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phantom Odors

I have had this experience of smelling things that are most likely not there. Often it is cigarette smoke, or perfume. Since nobody smokes in my household, and I don't wear perfume, it is puzzling. It doesn't happen in our new place as much, but I often wonder if it was the neighbors when we lived in our old place. Sometimes I will smell vague odors that remind me of people or experiences, and now I am inclined to believe it is related to memory.

Most perfumes and colognes are torture. Dryer sheets are the worst. Once I was visiting my sister on my way home after a 10 day kayak trip, she washed my clothes and used dryer sheets. I had to wash them two or three times afterwards to rid them of that smell.

But then, I love natural scents, everything from soils, plants, I even find things that are rotting to be interesting. I like to try to pick out the various smells in the compost.

Pregnancy made my sensitivities and aversions permanent. I hate scented shampoo, detergent, dryer sheets, candles, perfume, dish soap... but love natural scents too. My solution is to buy unscented when possible and add essential oils of my choice to the laundry soap. Looove the scent of rain, earth, dirt, forest floor, even poison oak flowers (related to plumeria and olives, they are scented).

Last edited:
That said, though, it sounds like you're describing fluid intelligence. Meta cognition. Are you talking about instinct? A kind of premonition or knowing things without being told or even understanding why? Feeling or sensing things from others, for example?

:herb:

I used to pretend I was psychic or, to annoy a Pentecostal relative, that I had the gift of prophecy. They bought it. But when hubby was injured in combat, I sensed it. There are many other instances when I just "knew things." Can't explain any of it, but it happens. What are your experiences with "meta cognition?"

I do rely quite a bit on my sense of smell, so I'm usually quite aware of what I'm smelling not to mention that, because of facial blindness I often link smells to people.

Last night I had the weirdest sensation in my bedroom, as I caught the smell of one of my ex-girlfriends, with whom I'm seperated for over 6 years.

I also have this weird memory when it comes to smells. Sometimes I just get hit with a random smell, much like someone would with a flashback. Doesn't help that it's sometimes the most rank and foul scents. Call me crazy, but it's among the reasons why I will actively avoid any situations of which I know I can expect disgusting smells; I don't want them to be imprinted in my memory. Seeing gruesome stuff is fine with me, but I seem to have a bigger issue with nasty smells that just unsettle me.

Cigarette smoke is so utterly pervasive. I sense it on rare occasion while in my own bed...on my left side as I can barely sense it. I have no idea if it is an aspect of phantosmia, an after-effect of a paranormal "visitation" by my deceased mother, or simply the intrusion of smoke that is lighter than air, coming from my neighbor directly below me on the first floor.

But I suspect it's the latter of the three for the most obvious of reasons.

Like ghosts, if investigated enough, a reason, or at least plausible theory might be found.

For example, if a certain room was smoked in, and the season is changing, new patterns of house circulation (caused by heat and cold shifts) might be bring the smell into other rooms.

Its also possible I imagine, something is triggering a false smell response. For example, some chemical you can't detect the smell of is registering as a parfume.

The mind my also play tricks without being 'round the bend'. Mine has done so all my life in certain situations.

Smell is the sense that evokes the strongest recollections, even for neurotypicals. Aspies take it to a new level though; my husband calls me a bloodhound :)

I remembered something else when I read King_Oni's post, I have a very strong memory for smells and tastes both pleasant and unpleasant. For example if I smell a cleaning product or toiletries that smell exactly like something I have used in the past it can be really unsettling, especially if I used that product during dark times. A few years ago someone bought me perfume (something I am not keen on anyway) and upon testing it out I realised it smelled exactly like a deodorant spray I bought in 1997, mum brand, fragrance sunflowers, it was like someone had punched me in the stomach because that was the deodorant I bought just before I had the breakdown that landed me in a psychiatric day unit and continued to use it throughout that time. Another example is I got Jerusalem artichokes in a fruit and veg box, when I tried them I knew I had tried them before (and hated them), I couldn't pinpoint exactly but it was at one of my aunt's houses and I was approx 6 years old. I never remembered having them before, but when I tried them again it hit me.

This will no doubt sound unusual, but I'm curious if this is an Aspie thing or if my brain is playing tricks on me. As long as I can remember, I have always smelled things that are not there. It's usually something like heavy cigarette smoke, perfume, or some type of paint. I live alone in a house and don't smoke, nor do I use perfume. If I had painted something I would expect to smell that, but I've not painted anything around the house in a couple years.

There is one possibility; it makes me wonder if I'm smelling cigarette smoke from my neighbors. The same would go for the perfume, paint, etc. Many Aspies are known to have very sensitive hearing, feeling, etc., so could this also apply to smell where we could detect certain odors even though they're emanating from a source that could be several hundred feet away?

So, does anyone experience this or has my caboose gone around the bend?o_O
I notice this a lot.
Smells going in and out.

I can't say for sure, but it's possible that the odors are really there (or somewhere nearby). I used to smell odors like cigarette smoke on my clothes after washing them, and thought I was crazy. It turns out some odors can travel through buildings and even through walls. Now when I smell cigarettes on my clean towel after a shower, I know my neighbor's brat is smoking in the bathroom downstairs.

I used to live in an apartment building where this one lady would sit out in the hall and smoke, because her husband wouldn't allow her to smoke inside. So as a result, my bathroom towels always smelled of smoke because the spot where she would sit made it penetrate my bathroom wall . Ugh!

New Threads

Top Bottom