• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

People mixing up copyright and trademark. They're two different things.

You see it a lot with discussion about how Steamboat Willie is going to fall into public domain at the start of next year under current US copyright law. People act as if that means that Mickey Mouse, the character, will become public domain. He won't, Mickey Mouse is a trademark of The Walt Disney Company and unlike copyrights, trademarks don't expire so long as they're in active use - and obviously Disney still actively uses Mickey Mouse.

A good comparison would be Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, 70 Looney Tunes cartoons and 50 Merrie Melodies cartoons have fallen into the public domain in the US. Some of these public domain cartoons feature characters like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Porky Pig but those characters aren't public domain since Warner Bros still has the trademark on them and they still use those characters. You can do whatever you want with those public domain cartoons - upload them to your YouTube channel, burn them onto DVD and sell them for $5 a pop at a flea market, give them a comedic redubbing, whatever. But you can't like make your own Bugs Bunny cartoon and try and sell it, y'know?

Ever since I was little, being in a bumpy car has always made me so upset. I clench my jaw, but I really want to shout and punch something. What's something that seems not to bother other people but really sets you off?

Tailgating drivers -- no, I don't think I will get out of the way; I drive slowly for a reason because I can't brake as quickly as if I were driving a modern car. I always think they are trying to run my car off the road or cause an accident.

(Irrational fear, perhaps but I still don't trust people unless I know them.)

Germs. They are small. And yet they could kill us all in the newest Covid wave. Right when student and teacher will be going back to school soon, too. Great timing, schools are giant Petri dishes. I guess I'd better start stocking up on toilet paper.

People going "sshh". I don't mind "shush", "quiet", even "shut up", but I can't stand "sshh". I don't know why.

The sound of people moving about in the room above me. That type of sound from overhead travels in an odd way that makes my ears sensitive and can even give me vertigo. Most people don't understand how much of a big deal this is for me.

People saying I lack empathy if I don't understand something. It is a massive insult and makes me want to punch the person (sorry).

People talking to me in a certain tone. Some tones can make me feel belittled.

Strangers judging me. This is normal to an extent for NTs, but for me it's enough to cause me agoraphobia.

Oddly it seems to be the behaviours of other people that affect me more than anything else.

When people join autism forums saying they are autistic, and telling people all about what autism is or judging people as NT / ND. Then it comes to light that they aren't even autistic, and they're just virtue signalling against people who are.

When food falls off my fork. Especially when I've spent a good minute trying to balance it just right, and it falls off right before I get the fork into my mouth. It's very dispiriting.

Backup alarms. There have always been many in use that did no good at all for on-site safety and polluted a whole neighbourhood with all-night noise, but now, they could be replaced easily with back-up cameras, returning the responsibility to the driver.

When the print on shampoo bottles or other bath products is so tiny (and often pale grey) that I can't read it in the shower without my glasses, to know which one is shampoo / conditioner / face wash / body wash, etc. Some of them are clear bottles where you have to read through to the back of the sticker or else they have clear stickers on top of the clear bottles, with tiny print. I can't even read them with my glasses and a magnifying glass when I'm out of the shower holding them in sunlight.

When the print on shampoo bottles or other bath products is so tiny (and often pale grey) that I can't read it in the shower without my glasses, to know which one is shampoo / conditioner / face wash / body wash, etc. Some of them are clear bottles where you have to read through to the back of the sticker or else they have clear stickers on top of the clear bottles, with tiny print. I can't even read them with my glasses and a magnifying glass when I'm out of the shower holding them in sunlight.
I'd expand that to all the low-contrast typography I see on my screen. There is no excuse for 99% of it. Now the trend has spread - a new town pumping station has raised black letters on a black background! I did manage to get one proposed sign changed from medium blue on medium brown by appealing on behalf of the colour-blind. I often ask people when they have ever seen a book printed in grey ink.

When empty plastic water bottles fall because they're too light to stay upright. For some reason that drives me crazy, especially if there's several of them and a domino effect.

How about when a plastic water bottle that is full falls or can't even sit up because the plastic is dented or crooked.
In fact, that just happened to me a few minutes ago.
Just touched it and over it went, water all over the wood floor.
Have to sit them in a cup to keep them from falling over.

Folding sheets also.

Ever since I was little, being in a bumpy car has always made me so upset. I clench my jaw, but I really want to shout and punch something. What's something that seems not to bother other people but really sets you off?
I relate to this one but I don't know if we're referring to the same thing or not, country dirt roads that have become corrugated and for miles and miles the whole car rattles and shakes. It irritates me intently and at the same time I stress about potential damage to the vehicle.

When empty plastic water bottles fall because they're too light to stay upright. For some reason that drives me crazy, especially if there's several of them and a domino effect.
I have that problem with empty beer cans sometimes.

Fire drills
Airplanes
Helicopters
Crying babies
Barking dogs
Chirping birds
Loud engines
When people don't care enough about their car, so whenever they first start driving, it gives off a horrific screech noise
Electric drills
People hammering in nails
etc etc

I can keep going, but this sums up why I'm fairly desperate of moving out of my apartment in the big city I live in, and to the country side. I am very noise sensitive, and I've tried several different earbuds to calm the noise. Nothing is working for me, either uncomfortable or not blocking enough. Or the feeling is just wrong. And they can be quite expensive to buy, just to try out.

New Threads

Top Bottom