• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Performance Reviews At Work

My supervisor usually thinks I’m very competent but a little too self-sufficient and a little distant. I agree with that.

Used to think it was quite serious, that I needed to immediately change the way I did things, somehow. Then I realized that often it was other employees who were filling these things out, where the supervisors used the information to create their own.

Sometimes it was petty rather than constructive criticism, sarcastically meant to help me do my job better. The form itself was self-reporting and other employees used it vent their own insecurities on the job.

The first one I looked at, upset me. Because they had statements that didn't help me in any way, they were character assassinations. They reminded me of elementary school report cards, which had statements like; Not reaching full potential, talks too much, can do better.

After that, I ignored the reviews, pretended they were serious and went about my job as people around me, like my boss and other employees left, were fired, or transferred.

Last edited:
I’ve never had one.

How often do you get one?

I pretty much only need to report to the owner and work in tandem with a project manager from the office.

I had one during the brief period where I worked at Boots' in Meadowhall in October 1997, Manager said I was "too slow on the Till", I wouldn't mind but the only problem was the time I queried a guy trying to pay with a £60 note, I'd been taught at College that a lot of 50s were dud, so to me I was doing what I was taught, the customer and Manager didn't like it though.

Most of mine did not offer direct constructive criticism.Telling me that my "attitude needs improvement" says nothing to me.

+Can you give me a concrete example of a time when my 'attitude' was showing?

She could not. So I was free to disregard the comment.

On the other hand, "does not keep up with the workflow" tells me that I am slow and need to speed up.

One time, the supervisor just shoved the eval in my work mailbox without meeting with me. Her main objection to my presence seemed to revolve around the idea that she didn't know what I thought of her because I never told her.

I was brought up not to show my dislike for anyone at work ever. Apparently, from the examples she gave me, I was supposed to curse her out and call her names to her face. I kid you not.

So if a boss cannot give me a concrete example, the eval becomes just another form.

I don't mind following the rules when I know what they are and if they make sense to me.
I don't mind setting work performance goals if they are specific and measurable, achievable, reasonable, and time-limited.

But please do not expect me to blindly sign the eval form unless it is a useful instrument for helping me improve.

At one time I had to write about 35 of them annually. It's just as bad giving as receiving. If it was up to me, I'd eliminate them.

During the brief time I worked in a state school, the local equivalent of Ofsted (an assessment team for schools) came round and observed the lessons of all teachers. I also had other assessments, one from the non-governmental organisation (NGO) I was working for, and also once or twice when I was working for private schools. I coped very badly. It was my worse nightmare. I had anxiety to the point of being physically sick. I later had some PTSD symptoms from it. I was told I the pace was too slow, I wasn't keeping up or noticing situations develop in the classroom, not responding to things going on, and having class management (discipline) problems. The NGO guy told me that he was worried about me, then the next year, I didn't get my contract renewed. The kindergarden teacher, after observing me, told me that I didn't connect with the children, and I quit. Another private school that observed me teaching adults actually didn't give me negative feedback, but they didn't give me any more work. And this was all within the space of a year. This is what caused me to break down, wonder what was wrong with me because I wasn't coping with things that most people have to go through and manage, things that I should be able to cope with, given my background. This is what lead to my being diagnosed with Asperger's.

Used to think it was quite serious, that I needed to immediately change the way I did things, somehow. Then I realized that often it was other employees who were filling these things out, where the supervisors used the information to create their own.

Sometimes it was petty rather than constructive criticism, sarcastically meant to help me do my job better. The form itself was self-reporting and other employees used it vent their own insecurities on the job.

The first one I looked at, upset me. Because they had statements that didn't help me in any way, they were character assassinations. They reminded me of elementary school report cards, which had statements like; Not reaching full potential, talks too much, can do better.

After that, I ignored the reviews, pretended they serious and went about my job as people around me, like my boss and other employees left, were fired, or transferred.
I have to give you a lot of credit for being able to simply not take performance reviews seriously. I always do and the petty character attacks really bother the hell out of me. I need to take your advice and simply not take these things seriously. If the review consists of petty, non-constructive verbiage then clearly the manager didn't take it seriously to begin with. Yes, I'm definitely going to adopt your approach.

During the brief time I worked in a state school, the local equivalent of Ofsted (an assessment team for schools) came round and observed the lessons of all teachers. I also had other assessments, one from the non-governmental organisation (NGO) I was working for, and also once or twice when I was working for private schools. I coped very badly. It was my worse nightmare. I had anxiety to the point of being physically sick. I later had some PTSD symptoms from it. I was told I the pace was too slow, I wasn't keeping up or noticing situations develop in the classroom, not responding to things going on, and having class management (discipline) problems. The NGO guy told me that he was worried about me, then the next year, I didn't get my contract renewed. The kindergarden teacher, after observing me, told me that I didn't connect with the children, and I quit. Another private school that observed me teaching adults actually didn't give me negative feedback, but they didn't give me any more work. And this was all within the space of a year. This is what caused me to break down, wonder what was wrong with me because I wasn't coping with things that most people have to go through and manage, things that I should be able to cope with, given my background. This is what lead to my being diagnosed with Asperger's.
I'm really and truly sorry that this happened to you. It's amazing how when we were kids we were taught the Golden rule of respect. As an adult, I see the hypocrisy of do as I say not do.

How does this relate to what happened to me? I don't follow.
It's more tangential. You were treated horribly when there was no cause at all for the treatment. It was purely spiteful. It's amazing how these so-called educators could then teach kids to be respectful when they failed miserably to show you any.

It's more tangential. You were treated horribly when there was no cause at all for the treatment. It was purely spiteful. It's amazing how these so-called educators could then teach kids to be respectful when they failed miserably to show you any.
I was treated unfairly by some people, but my issues were directly related to my then undiagnosed Asperger's, unfortunately I simply wasn't suited to that kind of work and that kind of environment, and shouldn't have got into it in the first place. I was heading for disaster right from the start.

New Threads

Top Bottom