• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Participants needed for study

elsmith14

🌿 Calling autistic adults (18 years+) 🌿

Please take part in our online study and tell us about your sensory experiences when engaging with nature.

You are welcome to take part no matter your engagement with nature:

❌ If you don't at all

🥾 If you engage directly (e.g., visiting nature)

📺 If you engage indirectly (e.g., watching nature videos)

🤝 The study has been designed with input from autistic community partners.

Link for more info and to take part: LinkedIn

I don't think the information I can come up with would take more than five minutes. When I moved from a suburban edge to the country, I found it very boring. I appreciate it more now, but have never felt over stimulated even in storms, except by extremes of temperature, which is not really Aspie-specific. I'd be comfortable picking berries a hundred meters from a Bear eating berries.

Please take part in our online study and tell us about your sensory experiences when engaging with nature.

❌ If you don't at all

you might want to say a bit more about the study, its context and what the outcome is.
A lot of this info looks like it is in the first page of the study at durham uni - but even that it is in the context of a uni study is useful.

❌ If you don't at all

There have been a few comments asking about the purpose of the study so I thought I'd put them here. The study is part of my master's dissertation at Durham University.
We want to understand more about what engaging with nature looks like for autistic people and the sensory-related experiences. The current view is that engaging with nature is beneficial for everyone, but we need to understand more about the positive and negative sensory experiences for autistic people and how this may relate to diverse ways of engaging with nature. The findings could inform nature-based learning and health and wellbeing interventions and therapies.

you might want to say a bit more about the study, its context and what the outcome is.
A lot of this info looks like it is in the first page of the study at durham uni - but even that it is in the context of a uni study is useful.
Thank you for pointing this out - I have just added a reply to the original post about more of the context purpose and outcome of the study are/

I don't think the information I can come up with would take more than five minutes. When I moved from a suburban edge to the country, I found it very boring. I appreciate it more now, but have never felt over stimulated even in storms, except by extremes of temperature, which is not really Aspie-specific. I'd be comfortable picking berries a hundred meters from a Bear eating berries.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. We value all perspectives, whether positive or negative, but there's no pressure to participate.

There is no compensation w for taking part in this study but you can opt-in to be emailed the results of the study.
I have done the survey but missed the option to enter your email address to get a copy of the results.

Hi! Interesting thinking about how being in nature works for those on the spectrum. For me it is an absolute elixir that I need for at least a couple of hours every day, otherwise my spoons are toast until I immerse in nature again. Apart from wind I never experience sensory overload when in nature. Is this not the same for everyone on the spectrum? Do some of you have negative experiences when in natural spaces?

Apart from wind I never experience sensory overload when in nature. Is this not the same for everyone on the spectrum? Do some of you have negative experiences when in natural spaces?

Nature is always nice. It gives me peace of mind. The only negative experience I remember having in natural spaces is things like accidentally falling down from a tree. :) But that's still better than city life with no nature.

Nature is always nice. The only negative experience I remember having in natural spaces is things like accidentally falling down from a tree. :) But that's still better than city life with no nature.
One of my first memories as a kid of maybe 3....falling out of a tree *lol* didnt put a dent in me or my infatuation with nature

One of my first memories as a kid of maybe 3....falling out of a tree *lol* didnt put a dent in me or my infatuation with nature

I see you are from Switzerland so then you know what great nature is. You have the lakes and the mountains, alps, forests and stuff. Very nice.

@Forest Cat - yes, I think we have some spectacular landscapes here in Switzerland. As do many other places :) often I also like the quiet, simple natural spaces - country roads past natural hedges or the like, doesnt have to be an Insta worthy shot all the time, if you know what I mean.

New Threads

Top Bottom