• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Partial / Reduced) Sensory Processing Disorder and ASD / Asperger's?

An0maly_1976

This is not the end, this is not the beginning...
I have been having a great many random thoughts and questions since the possibility of ASD / Asperger's came to my attention, and with those, of course, comes the desire for researching them.

There's an old saying that some people can't see the forest for the trees, or can't see the trees for the leaves. It's interesting how that might apply to someone with ASD, seeing as being detail-oriented applies to some, if not most of us. But being detail-oriented might cause one to miss the bigger picture, and I believe I may have fallen in that trap.

I have had ridiculous allergies and respiratory issues deemed asthma for quite some time now. I also have noticed I occasionally take a deep, sharp breath without knowing why -- almost as if my body missed a stroke breathing -- sort of like cardio arrhythmia. I finally found a term for this -- respiratory / sinus arrhythmia, and it is a thing, particularly with sensory processing disorder, which is, of course, known to be a thing with ASD and Asperger's.

Things are starting to fall in place. I began developing hypersensitive allergies around 1997. From there, smoke, particularly tobacco smoke, began bothering me and eventually caused bronchial infections. I have gotten more and more sensitive over the years to this and many other things that began bothering me.

Around 1999 or so, I began developing balance issues that have also steadily gotten worse, appearing to be drunk at times and frequently bumping into objects. I also have had long-standing issues with motor skills that made me 'clumsy', etc., and certain fabrics, shirt tags, food textures, smells drive me nuts. I also frequently knock objects over, etc. and have varying difficulty in typing, playing guitar, etc.

Today, any strong chemical smell, perfume / cologne or smoke / vapes can induce a serious asthma attack, usually resulting in a bronchial infection. I am fairly sensitive to sunlight, and if I don't take my time, I frequently stumble and even nearly fall over before correcting my balance, appearing much like a boat saved at the last moment by the ballast in its keel. I have also had issues with my feet occasionally rolling over on their sides when I step -- it's a wonder I haven't broken my ankle or something.

It appears very much that I have sensory processing disorder in addition to many signs and traits of Asperger's. But what confuses me is that SPD also generally includes sensitivity to sounds and touch. I generally have no issue with hugs, etc., though I HAVE noticed a reduction in tolerance to level of interaction with others, especially in regard to conversation, or in the case of providing rideshare / taxi services, when I feel someone is being unreasonable, I am very quick to bring the interaction to a conclusion as soon as possible (ending conversation, etc.)

Though I have been said to not understand personal space, I seem to have an aversion to strangers being close to me in public (mostly because I have to be on alert for smokers / vapers and they generally do not care who is around when they partake). The Vagus nerve is said to be instrumental in respiratory problems and it is also said that children with ASD that 'flap' and spin around are self-regulating to correct Vagus nerve issues.

But another facet of SPD is sound -- and while I find thunder slightly annoying / disturbing perhaps, I do not believe I find it terrifying enough to need earplugs or sound-cancelling headphones (though my father's dog is another story -- she HATES thunder and reacts much differently to it -- thus I don't believe it really bothers me much). I also have no problem cranking Skid Row or any of my other many musical tastes, though I find that I'm not as apt to do so in more recent years. I also frequently have problems with sound levels of TV shows and movies -- it seems that soundtracks and sound effects are much louder than spoken dialogues, something I hadn't really noticed before, and my father (who I also suspect has Asperger's) also is sensitive to.

In addition, the home is maybe 50-70 feet from the road and I have realized that I have recently started becoming more aware of passing traffic, particularly the occasional idiot with bumble-bee exhaust triggering their two-step rev limiter for an 1/8 mile, a pretty hard trigger for me. So perhaps I have been slowly developing SPD in stages over a long period of time, and it simply is not complete yet? I'm also wondering if it's possible to only have certain SPD sensitivities, and if so, if it still qualifies as SPD.

Last edited:
We all like reading other people's sensory issues because then it hits home that this is a substantial issue for the majority of us.

I have rotating sensory issues, it depends on weather, interplanetary issues with my alien family (mother and brother). So one day nothing may bother me, then l will get an irritating email from my mommy dearest, and everything will suddenly bother me.

But l tend to value my personal space.

From my personal life experience with ASD, as a health care professional, these forums, and of course, the literature, your observation that there is a connection between ASD and central processing disorders appears to be valid. I don't have asthma/reactive airway issues, but I too, will have intermittent diaphragmatic/respiratory dysrhythmia,...enough to make people turn around and look at me. I also have intermittent aspiration issues, especially when my pharynx is dry and I am thirsty,...that first sip of liquid is a bit scary for me,...the laryngeal spasm that occurs is probably, at some point, going to kill me for sure. But beyond that, I could make quite a long list of little irritating things that could be under the umbrella of some degree of central processing disorder.

We all like reading other people's sensory issues because then it hits home that this is a substantial issue for the majority of us.

I have rotating sensory issues, it depends on weather, interplanetary issues with my alien family (mother and brother). So one day nothing may bother me, then l will get an irritating email from my mommy dearest, and everything will suddenly bother me.

But l tend to value my personal space.
The only time I'm senstive to noises is when I'm exhausted and sleepy. Otherwise, I'm pretty hyposensitive. I'm very good at ignoring my mobile phone's alarm clock until family members get annoyed (I tend to set a lot of alarms because I'm somewhat scatterbrained.)
What I absolutely can't stand is many different noises and voices mixing. I'm also very picky with music. I avoid bars and clubs.

On the other hand, I'm extremely sensitive to temperatures. I always wait for meals and drinks too cool down, I hate showering and it takes me a long time until I have managed to immerse myself in water when bathing in a lake/the ocean.
I still enjoy swimming in a lake but I take some extra preparation steps and I only do it on the hottest summerdays (and sometimes I fail to go past my knees).
Diving and swimming styles that include dipping your head below water are an absolute no-go though.

I believe if I'm hypersensitive at all, I'm more of the visual type. I hate geometrical bold patterns like checkered clothes, mismatched colours and patterns. I drive like a snail at night because traffic lights hurt my eyes and I have trouble seeing. In summer my eyes keep tearing up outside and sometimes it feels like pinpricks are in my eyeballs. Quick changes in lighting are also difficult, it's one of the reason I can't stand cinemas, they are worst. I'm always in a daze afterwards, feeling like I'm on drugs.

The question as always is: What is normal?

I hate oceans that are extremely murky, because l start thinking about sharks looking for their next leg drumstick snack.

I hate oceans that are extremely murky, because l start thinking about sharks looking for their next leg drumstick snack.
Sorry to bolster your fears, but this one is actually quite valid. Some smaller sharks have been showing up in places they aren't usually found as of late. I think, however, you're quite safe in water below your chest.
On the other hand, I'm extremely sensitive to temperatures. I always wait for meals and drinks too cool down, I hate showering and it takes me a long time until I have managed to immerse myself in water when bathing in a lake/the ocean. I still enjoy swimming in a lake but I take some extra preparation steps and I only do it on the hottest summerdays (and sometimes I fail to go past my knees). Diving and swimming styles that include dipping your head below water are an absolute no-go though.
I was going to add this to the original post, but since it is pertinent to the above, I learned today that it is possible for some to be perfectly fine swimming in a pool, but the mud and sand of a lake might bother them a little or drive them crazy. Totally me, even from a young age. I was made fun of for years in school after throwing a fit in preschool because I didn't like the feel of paste on my fingers.

I wouldn't say I HATE showering, but I'm somehow disconnected with recognizing the need for it, I guess. However, as of late, the sound of pressurized water spraying against steel irritates me (something I don't remember being a thing for me before), and I wonder if this may eventually bolster my disconnection from it. I live with my father, and his kitchen faucet has a valve to pour or spray water from different ports on the faucet. The spray setting is quite irritating to me, and he generally leaves it that way because he thinks it saves water.

For some time, I have required cool air (66-68 degrees or less) due to sinus and allergy issues, yet have to wrap up in a blanket in bed because I'm freezing due to my room having to be an icebox, just so I can breathe without coughing my head off. I previously thought it was due to my allergies and asthma, but it appears to be related to sensory processing disorder, commonly associated with ASD / Asperger's.

I believe if I'm hypersensitive at all, I'm more of the visual type. I hate geometrical bold patterns like checkered clothes, mismatched colours and patterns. I drive like a snail at night because traffic lights hurt my eyes and I have trouble seeing. In summer my eyes keep tearing up outside and sometimes it feels like pinpricks are in my eyeballs. Quick changes in lighting are also difficult, it's one of the reason I can't stand cinemas, they are worst. I'm always in a daze afterwards, feeling like I'm on drugs.

The question as always is: What is normal?
Normal? Certainly not me. I think there are certain patterns and such that bother me too, just not to the point of flipping out or something. I'm beginning to see I should have been on SSI as soon as I was out of school. Too bad the 'experts' I was taken to couldn't find a hammer in a hardware store.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom