• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Parents desperate to find son with autism

I'm curious what you mean by this? How did you glean this from the available info?

Maybe Ylva is like me (never to put words in her mouth)... please note that!!!

I just sometimes (think) I smell a rat, or a part of the story is not all there... This just happens to be one of those few times where that happens... Never ever to say that I am right by any means...

I only know my past, and that I do not trust people... So its very obvious I cant put my self in the shoes of this guy, or his parents. But I still don't trust what I'm reading and usually thats not the case...

I very much think they need to find him and make sure he is okay... But something spurred this in him, the article hinted at it, so it might not be as sunny and pretty as the parents want to make it seem...

It could be he has moved past the mentality of a 13 year old, and is sick of being treated as such... Just a guess, and that is total speculation... But it is certainly a very reasonable possibility.
(And I think that was what Ylva might have been getting out of it.)

For one blasting all over the place that he has the mentality of a 13 year old... That actually angers me. Its insulting to him, and degrading to him, and now his parents are putting that out for the world to know...
I would be really pissed off over that if this were me, and I mean pissed off enough to let them worry real bad.

How kind of them to do that to their son... There is a million different ways they could have softened that to not embarrass him in front of a world stage. Sorry I'm was not for how this story was presented from the get go, and I'm still not.

I'm being a grouch and I'm sorry for that... : )

Above all of course I want him found safe and sound, but I just know how people treat people and it sucks to even think about what the police might do to him especially if he doesn't want to cooperate with them.

This whole thing sucks and I hate it all the way around. He needs to call home and just say he's okay... but that right there is why I still think I smell a rat... He could have called in between flights and if he has been acting weird in public the police or someone would already be involved...

This kind of stuff digs into my head sometimes. I wish I hadn't even read it. ASD at its best I guess... : (

It could be he's too upset being called a 13 year old that he doesn't want to talk to his parents, perhaps this is why he didn't call.

So praying for a good outcome of this young man! I like someone else posted have to agree..look into his computer or phone msgs..he may have been lured away from home...these young people are unfortunately too kind hearted to see the world as most of us do..I know I have tried my best to let my grandtr know I will always be here for her but when she decided she wants to grow up and move away I hope she will think about living with her sister..she is 10 but HFAS and mentally 4/5. I can see how easily she could fit the same scenario...
I kind of fear he took off with someone too.

Looks quite official as far as reporting missing persons go with Missouri's Highway Patrol. You'd think they'd include his picture though since we know it's online.

Note he's listed as "#13". Though no reference to his autism. Hope they find him soon.

Active Missing Persons
He's no longer listed among the active missing persons, but a web search for '"andrei morris" found' returned no hits.

Actually, thirteen-year-olds aren't that stupid. Maybe he did the Christopher thing and camped out in the wilderness permanently.

Andrei's father says police are working with them, but because he's actually an adult, the help they can offer is limited.
Since he is an adult, not under a guardianship, he is free to roam as he has.
One thing stuck out for me "he doesn't do logic and he is very personable." Really? I guess that is possible, but is that common ASD?
My 31yo son [ASD2] has a mental age of 6-10yo. If he had complete access to his money, he would squander it, neglecting his rent, etc. SSI requires him to have a representative payee to manage the basics, and, then, turn over his discretionary income to him.

Those two factors [a payee & limited discretionary income] keep him from wandering away from all accountability.
Glad to hear it, thanks for the info @Sportster.
Glad to hear what; what info?
I shudder to think what could happen to my 25 y/o LFA autistic if he went missing like this.
Is your nephew under a guardianship? (Most ASD3s are.)
It could be he has moved past the mentality of a 13 year old, and is sick of being treated as such... Just a guess, and that is total speculation... But it is certainly a very reasonable possibility.
It could be he's too upset being called a 13 year old that he doesn't want to talk to his parents, perhaps this is why he didn't call.
It could be that he has been manipulated into being a captive, or worse...! (Parents want to, at least, know that their son is safe.")
This article is from October 2017, not sure why we are thinking about this now.
I'm sure the surrounding issues are still salient, today.

Last edited:
My 31yo son [ASD2] has a mental age of 6-10yo. If he had complete access to his money, he would squander it, neglecting his rent, etc. SSI requires him to have a representative payee to manage the basics, and, then, turn over his discretionary income to him.

Not arguing, but how do they calculate that?

...how do they calculate that?
Medically speaking, there is a normative standard for physical and neurological maturity.
  • A healthy child speaks by a certain age,
  • S/he walks by a certain age,
  • sentences,
  • understanding cause & effect,
  • theory of mind,
  • social instinct,
  • reads,
  • puberty,
  • abstract/forward thinking, etc.
NT children stay reasonably close to the mean in all of these areas.

We, PDD children, are significantly delayed, or halted altogether, in some or many basic neurological ways.

Gifted children meet some of the neurological milestones exceptionally early. (They are frequently asynchronous in their development.) If you meet both criteria (like I do), you are considered "twice exceptional," a.k.a. 2E.

My then 16yo son was already known to be [ASD2], but because of his wide variety of behavioral problems in school and life planning, he was extensively tested at a mental institution (beyond just IQ).

They did not change his diagnosis, but more finely determined that his behaviors and thought processes were consistent with those of an 6-10yo NT in development. (PDD is measured against the NT standard.) And he has been halted there for the last 15 years. (He lives in a supervised apartment.)

A similar type of testing was performed on my now 24yo [ASD3] daughter. Her neurological development (in multiple areas) was found to be equivalent to an 18 month old NT.

She has made very little improvement in the last 22 years. (Said testing would have determined if she were just non-verbal and, otherwise, intelligent.)

Their diagnoses are consistent with their behaviors at home.

Last edited:
(Said testing would have determined if she were just non-verbal and, otherwise, intelligent.)

That's what I mean. How?
Do they scan her brain? Does it show that her brain is as grown as an 18-month-old? If her motor and verbal abilities are those of a baby, how can they know her inner life?

He had the capability to withdraw money from a bank and then go on to catch two flights.

Not easy if someone isn’t familiar with or understand how to.

Without facts or updates on this man, we could speculate and create theories all day long.

I wasn't disputing it, I just want to know how they know.
And I mean in general, not just with her.

I wasn't disputing it, I just want to know how they know.
And I mean in general, not just with her.
Though I have ideas on how they make/made that determination, I am not a child psychologist. Thus, I am not qualified to defend or denounce it, apart from confirming our experiences with her.

If her doctor diagnosed her as having a brain tumor, would you require ME to prove that diagnosis, too?

He had the capability to withdraw money from a bank and then go on to catch two flights.

Not easy if someone isn’t familiar with or understand how to.

Without facts or updates on this man, we could speculate and create theories all day long.

13 year olds in this day and age generally do know how to withdraw funds from banks and how to catch a flight. It is possible that someone else helped him or coerced him to leave his home.

Also, one of the experts that I collaborate with has a patient of normal intelligence that communicates with a keyboard, because they are non-verbal. That condition is markedly distinct from infantile preliteracy (requiring no telepathy), though I am not qualified to offer such distinctions.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom