• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pardon My French, But...!

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Are we at an age in human history where all notion of common sense just simply doesn't exist anymore?

Are parents and likewise other forms of guardians/whatever forms of authority figures that exist just so adamant in resorting to military-era styles of discipline and/or punishment simply because of the fact that not only did those things exist during the time periods they were conceived but also because such methods of rearing were a trend?!

This is the year 2020. I sincerely doubt that punishments older than the Declaration of Independence,such as writing "I will not do [bad thing I wasn't supposed to do] ever again" x number of times in a multiple of two thousand, or being smacked across the arse with a leather buckle hardly make any sense anymore, nor would they get any kind of message across other than "Hey kids, did you know that when your parents were kids, Social Services didn't exist and it was okay to abuse your child both mentally AND physically?"

Humanity is proving itself to take a large, gargantuan gorilla step backwards in time if parents nowadays from the same year that LEGO's made their debut are actively conscious that it is in fact the year 2020 and hardly anyone does those things anymore, yet they still believe it's okay to knock your kid's psyche around like a racquetball with promises to haze one's aft end with a belt, embarass them on social media AND in public (as a punishment, mind you!), make them scribble a promise to misbehave one specific way ever again for the duration of the Cold War, or even something as flusteringly insane as, oh I don't know, SEND ONE OUT OF THE ROOM AND DOWN THE ROAD WITH LITTLE MORE THAN THE SHIRT, PANTS AND SHOES THEY HAVE ON SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU ATE THE WRONG BAG OF CHIPS

Is THIS how we have agreed to treat our children?! Is THIS something that a group of people can gather round at a table and say to each other, "hey, this is okay, let's do this from now on" and every single almond-sized brain in that room will agree to that and think it's okay?!

Am I the ONLY person here that exists not only in this region of North Carolina but in the entire conceivable over that first got wise of this at the age of fifteen, realized that something about it wasn't right, wasn't even human or realistic, and KNEW something was up? It could not have been a blind coincidence that the very first time I got punished for missing ONE LEAF after raking the entire yard of my uncle's house, I went back in, called my best friend from middle school, explained what was happening down to the last detail, and lo and behold, he himself also knew SOMETHING about that method of discipline made zero sense whatsoever. I even told about this event to my OTHER friends who were in my class and sure enough, they agreed that not only were my uncle and aunt clearly in the wrong from such outdated methods of discipline, they too had the agreement that there may have been a mental aspect to this (and it should have come as no surprise given that my aunt Dorothy was well in her 70s, looked like a stoned dog on two legs when she walked and had not one but two tumors in her brain, according to my cousin Jada), so, yeah, I can safely say I wasn't the only one who called bull[bleep] on these little punishments they gave me.

"But Uber", you may be asking, "weren't YOU in the wrong during these things happening? Don't you think they were trying to teach you a lesson about life with these things?"

On one hand, to be honest, you would be KINDA right in that regard, but keep in mind these people were my aunt and uncle, who were only drafted to take care of me because my mother was in the process of divorcing my biological father, who I do not want in my life at all because he amounts to little more than a headless Jabberwocky who is so brainlessly stupid he keeps forgetting he has motor skills, and being that the process of divorce in the United States is a legal matter and for some it takes a good amount of time, naturally it is a process that requires multiple steps and so, because of things happening that requires one to stop everything they're doing to perform those steps, of course there won't be time to take care of the children, so someone else has to take up the mantle.

You might have the opinion that my mother made a poor choice in sending me to my uncle/aunt's house for that part, but also keep in mind that somehow, these two characters that call themselves my uncle and aunt, have mastered the art of manipulating people's minds through word of mouth alone, and how they achieved this over decades of time is anyone's guess but my theory is that they speak in such a way that other people would hear what they are REALLY saying, but the listener's themselves only hear the speakers' side of the story. I know, it's confusing to think about and the way I explained it may be a little confusing, but it's the only way I could get this out there.

Back to the point, NONE! of that is an excuse to resort to manipulative behavior towards your lessers, much less let alone mentally abuse them to the point where they go full on hermit to themselves and shut down their emotions completely.

All this does is break your spirit, well, to others it would, but for me? I turned to rebellion towards this at a VERY early part in my teenage years, because I was that smart to it. They dumb things down for you in a way that makes you feel like you're still in preschool, to distract you and control your mind, to make you believe that time has not moved forward at all and nothing has changed. They speak changes into the world around you as if they already happened, and it's only based on how they view their use of power. These people that you live with forever (some of you anyway, I know I do) start to get wise to the fact that they still have power over your life, and because of this knowledge, their power grows.

They start to realize that a belt is more than just for spanking, it's for backing you into the head of your bed and commanding you to sit like a dog.

They start to realize that yelling is how you scare a child into being obedient, not just an expression of anger.

They begin to realize that making new rules to fit their own desires for obedience, or changing ones that already exist for the sake of keeping you in line is a new form of discipline and is the new way to ensure obedience...hmm, now where might I have seen that one before?!

WAKE UP, PEOPLE!

I may only be the firstborn son of a middle-class family still learning discipline, and not know anything about parenting in general, but even I know this isn't how you do this [bleep]!!!

In the end, one question still remains...

Do we want our kids to grow up knowing how to face the world? Or do we want them to be robots?!

I agree with you that "the world" seems to be taking bad turns.

"Do we want our kids to grow up knowing how to face the world? Or do we want them to be robots?!"

A extremely problematic change in society at large and with child rearing in general is the lack of instilling personal responsibility in people and teaching kids that it's an undeniable truth that life is not always fair; in fact, often life is unfair, period. Anyone who doesn't accept those two things, bluntly put, is in for a life of hell and fantasy. I believe this problematic change is a fairly recent phenomenon in human history.

>Our failures are not always someone else's fault. Ergo, there isn't always someone else to blame for our problems.
>We are not owed, therefore we can't expect that our lives on this earth as humans will be 100% pain free (emotional, physical, psychological, sociological, mental, etc) or anything even remotely close to that. That's not how life works. That's not how nature works. Nature is a hostile environment for living things. Interaction with other people and other things will inherently be challenging and hurtful (as well as rewarding) by varying degrees.

One of the most tragic human failings is the perpetuation of the unrealistic ideal that life on earth can be perfect and anything less is an affront to and a transgression toward the individual by others.

Does that mean humans shouldn't strive for harmony and positive healthy achievements? Certainly not.

However, personal responsibility first and any other goal very much second.

Last edited:
Just to let you in on a little secret here....

This is how people ALWAYS are. They always were, and they always will be. This type of crap parenting manifests in EVERY era. It aint just a 2020 thing. Idiot parents are forever.

Unfortunately, alot of parents are very self-centered. Just to give an example: I dont know if you know much about gaming, but even if you dont, you've probably heard about the unending crusade against violent games. How parents (and some idiot lawmakers) blame violent video games for their kids' stupid actions.

Now, this isnt a new thing. Back in the 70s, this happened as well. It's just that instead of violent video games, it was the "demonic" Dungeons & Dragons that was the target of the crusade.

All of that may seem highly illogical, and it is, but logic aint the point. Alot of parents look at their kids acting like demented hyenas, and they think to themselves "Wow, he just keeps acting like that. What is the problem? Well, I myself am the great almighty -=ME=-, focus of the whole universe, and therefore my parenting cannot be in the wrong. It is always others that are wrong. Therefore, the cause must be external! Let's see... this thing over here is new and beyond my walnut brain's ability to comprehend, therefore it MUST be the cause, as it sure aint my fault! Let me just go check my phone for 3 hours and then I'll go join the crusade against these horrible games".

Seriously, parents are like that, and they've always been like that. Before D&D, it was TV and that eeeeeevil rock & roll music, and stuff like that being blamed. Raising a kid is unfortunately a difficult and complex thing to do, and most morons... I'm sorry, "people"... dont like accepting that they MIGHT not know everything about everything. So instead of realizing that maybe THEY need to learn and improve, they just do some bloody stupid thing because they think it's an easy fix.

And the sad thing is, the problems these parents have are usually *amazingly* obvious. Like, I often want to just scream at many parents "You blazing turdbags are just sitting there staring at Derpbook on your phones instead of watching your kid, who tries to repeatedly dive into traffic! What do you THINK the result of this sort of 'parenting' is going to be?" and then preferrably I'd hit said parent with a chair after that bit of yelling.

Unfortunately, you just cant fix stupid. You can hit it with a chair, but it doesnt actually fix it. Stupid is eternal.

I've lost track of where I was going with this, I've had alot of caffeine so I'm not sure if this is even coherent.

"Is THIS how we have agreed to treat our children?"

Nobody "agreed" to anything. There is no "we" about it. No uniform code of child-rearing.

The single best predictor of how one will behave towards their children is how their parents behaved towards them. Humans are designed by evolution to pattern their behavior on their parents, as surely as cubs in a wolf pack or goslings following their Mother Goose.

This may or may not be modified by the environment or by personal decisions along the way. I know people who grew up with extremely authoritarian parents who swear it was exactly what they needed while siblings flew off to the other extreme. (In my own extended family!) The most important factor in whether it changes from one generation to the next seems to be how the kids felt about their upbringing several years into adulthood. Not as kids. Parenting styles can slowly change over time or it can bounce between polar opposites.

There is no one style of parenting. Some are stern and authoritarian while others are "free-range" in their approach. Others are very affectionate and loving yet at the same time very controlling. (Smothered in love is not fun.) There are a few active bullies out there as well as parents who are supremely neglectful and can't be bothered to parent at all. It is all luck of the draw. Today there are fewer authoritarians - and more who pass the job of child-rearing off to the schools - than when I was a kid. It is the inevitable result of needing two incomes to do what one used to.

You seem to have the bad luck of a dysfunctional family unit. If you can put yourself in the frame of mind of the party you are dealing with at the time, it will help.

Last edited:
l decided to break the pattern of generational abuse that both my parents experienced. I did my best to not argue, not demean, not critique, not be physically abusive towards my daughter. I didn't yell at her and we have a lot of great memories. Sadly, her father was abusive and manipulative so l could only provide half of the storyline.

Whatever the case may be, I am tired of just sitting idly by while a king with no scepter writes night into day and calls it the law! Rules are supposed to exist with reason and structure, elements of realism that make sense, not simply for the sake of being aware of them! If you are the parent of any amount of children, it doesn't take a genius to be aware of two things: ONE, the rules of the house should apply to ALL children; there shouldn't be rules in place specifically for one child who's older than the others, and the rest all roam free with no strings attached, and TWO, THEY NEED TO BE REALISTIC! They need to be explainable, not just simply written off as "that's the rule and that's all there is to it"! Having rules just for the sake of being aware of them aren't rules, they're just empty instructions that serve no other purpose than to make robots out of human flesh!

Not only the above, but then there are those who believe, without outright saying it, that there are no such things as mistakes; there are parents who believe that either a child SHOULDN'T make mistakes, or that such an act is humanly impossible.

I DESPISE THIS IN EVERY FORM!!

PERFECTIONISTS!
I loathe them!

You can't make me rake a yard and expect me to reach every single leaf on the ground!
You can't make me clean my room and expect every wall to shine!
You cannot grow grass without soil!
You cannot spin gold from straw
YOU CANNOT MAKE ME PERFECT!

And I will prove this! I will prove all of this!

Yes. l experienced that with both parents. And only they or my very important brother could succeed. l was written off, so l got up and left. And found out that l was a good person in another country. By another family.

My Mom had a very abusive father and her mother died when she was 12.
There were eight kids in the family.
I'm surprised she wasn't so messed up by it emotionally that she didn't seek the same
type of man for a husband.
I've heard a lot of women do that.

She could be a bit hot tempered and wanted to mold me into a statue of herself and her beliefs.
I never could go for that. Not from her, not from anyone.
If it wasn't logical or explicable, no one could make me believe it.
I started forming my own belief system by the age of nine on life and the big whys of everything.

Physical attempts, like the belt to the behind, didn't work either as a form of punishment for
what ever the annoying thing I did as a kid.
She soon learned that as I would turn on her and resist.
Words were the only way to get through. If I did something wrong, tell me and make sense out
of what it was.

Kids will react differently. Some grow into low self-esteem and believe they are bad people if
their parents and authority figures say they are or are abusive.
Others only grow angry and become defensive.
Some might turn to escape through vices such as drugs or alchohol.

You can't change abuse. You can report it. But, the abuser isn't going to change.
I agree with personal responsibility. Be wise.
Spare the kid and spoil the Rod!

You can get over-policed, over-supervised with autism, its just hard wired with people. Guess you need to plan for independent living, Uber.

You can get over-policed, over-supervised with autism, its just hard wired with people. Guess you need to plan for independent living, Uber.

No, running away from it isn't enough for me. Partly because whenever I do, I just end up coming back because I realize I'm not prepared for it at all, but that's not the point. It doesn't simply stop at escaping a controlled life; if he's going to revel in doing this to me, he's going to expand this to Sophia and my mother as well.

I've won one war against these kinds of people before, I'll do it again.

Your rant reminded me of watching videos of YouTubers covering content from the r/InsaneParents subreddit. There are many of suprising cases of parents being stuck in outdated ways. A lot of the techniques you described only harm a child's mental health and can lead to something like them simply hating their parents, to something as bad as the child being extremely violent in their adult life. And then the parents (who use the same techniques), would blame it on the video games, music, tv, etc, instead of themselves. Much like what happened with Dungeons & Dragons during satanic panic, or with the original DOOM after that one school shooting (forgot the name). Parents will always try to find bs excuses so that they are free from any wrongdoings and they don't want to admit that their parenting style is the reason that their kids become violent.

It's especially harsh because Autistic children are sometimes treated even more strictly, and punished more severely, by their parents simply because of their disability.

Your rant reminded me of watching videos of YouTubers covering content from the r/InsaneParents subreddit. There are many of suprising cases of parents being stuck in outdated ways. A lot of the techniques you described only harm a child's mental health and can lead to something like them simply hating their parents, to something as bad as the child being extremely violent in their adult life. And then the parents (who use the same techniques), would blame it on the video games, music, tv, etc, instead of themselves. Much like what happened with Dungeons & Dragons during satanic panic, or with the original DOOM after that one school shooting (forgot the name). Parents will always try to find bs excuses so that they are free from any wrongdoings and they don't want to admit that their parenting style is the reason that their kids become violent.

It's especially harsh because Autistic children are sometimes treated even more strictly, and punished more severely, by their parents simply because of their disability.
Yeah. There are always "outside influences" to blame things on when the reality is that the parents didn't prepare their children to deal with outside influences. Or perhaps the outside influences have a positive value the parents cannot see. It defies all rational discussion. I can point to reams of scientific studies that attempted to show a causal effect between violent entertainment and violent behavior - and failed - and it won't matter. They believe what they want to believe. Human nature.

There's also a toxic notion that everyone has complete free will to be what they want to be. So if you stim it is because you are intentionally ignoring instructions not to stim rather than it being a part of you that is not so easily extinguished. Or if you have difficulty with eye contact or get instantly bored or are overwhelmed with sensory stimuli. (Or I want to ditch my clothes. :) ) It is thought a moral failing. "Nothing wrong with you. You just need to (blah. blah, blah)!"

"Straighten up and fly right!" was my Mother's favorite phrase while she was whacking me with a yardstick.

If I have learned anything in my life it is the importance of shrugging these things off. Comply when you can and understand you're doing the best you can when you can't. It's like getting angry at a storm for raining. Doesn't stop the storm, makes you even more miserable, and prevents you from focusing on working on your internal issues. They are only being who they are just as you are being who you are. Everyone is flawed.

This too shall pass away.

When you step out of the situation, leave the anger behind. Holding it close and nurturing the hate doesn't change the past, won't help the future, keeps you upset, and doesn't improve anyone else's situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom